The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:00 AM ET, 02/25/2008

Forecast: Brief Warmth Before Chill Returns

By Jason Samenow

Day five of our slow warming trend should finally send us above fifty degrees today. We may be able to extend the streak one more day tomorrow before a modest cold snap sets in Wednesday into the weekend.

TODAY

Increasing daytime sunshine. 51-55. Clouds early this morning will gradually move away. By this afternoon, skies will be mostly sunny with temperatures climbing into the low 50s. Winds will be light.

Clouds return late tonight ahead of a strong cold front, but most rain should off until after dawn. Lows will range from 35 to 40.

TUESDAY

Showers likely. 52-56 A pretty powerful cold front will approach the metro area. Before it barrels through, it will bring us a period of showers -- most likely in the afternoon. Fortunately, it won't be an all-day dousing. Temperatures will likely reach the mid 50s in the afternoon, but then fall back sharply in the evening after the front has passed.

Clouds decrease and temperatures drop overnight. Low temperatures reach 30 in town, and the mid 20s in the north and west suburbs. Winds will kick up out of the northwest at 10-20mph, and a flurry is possible.

Keep reading for the forecast for the rest of the week...

WEDNESDAY

Windy and cold. Near 40. Arctic air will pay a visit as the jet stream takes a big dip over the eastern third of the country. Temperatures will struggle to get out of the 30s and will feel colder factoring in 15-25mph winds from the northwest.

Winds diminish overnight and temperatures will drop like rock. Lows will range from the teens in the suburbs to near 20 downtown.

A LOOK AHEAD

Thursday will continue cold, but winds will have diminished. Highs should reach the low 40s under partly cloudy skies. Temperatures may warm into the mid 40s Friday, but clouds will increase with a chance of showers late in the day as another cold front approaches. Clouds should decrease Saturday, with sunshine and seasonably cool temperatures in the mid to upper 40s. Mild conditions may make a comeback Sunday, with highs around 50 or so.

By Jason Samenow  | February 25, 2008; 5:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: News & Notes: Freedman Moves to Monday
Next: Help us Create a New Weather Index

Comments

Pleasant surprise this morning with a nice dusting on everything but the asphalt roads, take what I can get in this winter......

Posted by: Mike from the Blue Ridge | February 25, 2008 5:55 AM | Report abuse

The "At a Glance" and the other blog links on the CWG site are blocked because they "violate the Prince William County Public School Technology Use Policy", so your whole site is screwed up now and I have to scroll for 2 hours to get to the blog postings. UGH - I swear the county would block google searches for "freedom" if they could, LOL! But, we are only supposed to use school computers for "educational purposes" (but the CWG is educational, not like it's dirty pictures or anything, I don't get it...)

One last arctic blast can't be TOO bad...right? Not to me, anyway. I like cold weather. It's easier to warm up than to cool down!

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | February 25, 2008 7:19 AM | Report abuse

Back after ONE FULL WEEK of this "vaccine-resistant" flu strain!!! It's been a HARROWING experience!!! Temperature as high as 103 degrees, abject sickness featuring periods of TOTAL constipation alternating with bouts of TOTAL diarrhea, and complete loss of appetite the whole while. Honestly, this was the "Katrina" of flu outbreaks! Finally down to 98.6 this morning, but I still have a nagging cough.

Right now I'd like to find the guy who FAILED to put this strain on the 2007-2008 flu shot and give HIM a piece of my mind!!! They say now the 2008-09 vaccine will be better formulated. Sorry, but the horse is already out of the barn! I've got better things to do than to be dealing with rogue influenza viruses. Incidentally, we're back in the slop for another Clarendon Ballroom swing dance tomorrow!

Posted by: El Bombo | February 25, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

If you watched Steve Villanueva on Channel 4, you'd think we were in for a real storm Tuesday, with rain most of the day. Friggin' hype.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 25, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Bombo, Sorry to hear about your illness, but a little too much information amigo!

Posted by: Jamie C in Chevy Chase | February 25, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to have to agree with Jamie C and hope I don't have to deal with that much information about Bombo's (or anyone for that matter's) digestive system.

This place gets so quiet when the weather is quiet. As much as I would love a good snow storm I'm now ready to move on to thunderstorm season. Which is kind of funny considering how much I hated them as a kid.

Posted by: Ana B | February 25, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Anybody have suggestions for good websites to visit with info on the GFS, NAM, or other models? The few I've been to so far I've found a little difficult to navigate and to get the maps I'm interested in.

While I'm at it, anybody have a favorite for GOES or radar imagery? I like NASA's Earth Science site for GOES:

and Weather Underground for radar:

Posted by: CM | February 25, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I love arctic air!!

Posted by: missy | February 25, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Mike from the B.R., I'm wondering if the same thing could happen tonight at higher elevations before changing to rain during the day. I'm currently at 34.2F and wondering what the temp will be when the precip starts.

Posted by: S.P. Gass | February 25, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse