The new Washington
Posted at 5:30 PM ET, 02/18/2008

Jefferson Dawn

By Kevin Ambrose

Dawn at the Jefferson Memorial, February 16, 2008

jeffersondawn5_std.jpg
The Jefferson Memorial at Dawn: F7, 2.5 seconds, ISO 100, 6:25AM

I awoke Saturday morning at 5 AM for a sunrise shoot with the Jefferson Memorial as my target. The sunrise continues to occur earlier each day, now at 6:59 AM, eight minutes earlier than last Saturday when I ventured to the Reflecting Pool for another sunrise shoot. What this basically means to me is that I have less time to drink coffee and wake up before hitting the road to D.C.

When I arrived in D.C., I instantly noticed the wind whipping across the Potomac River and Tidal Basin. The winds created small waves on the Tidal Basin, which ultimately gave the water a blurred texture in the photos, since I was using a fairly long exposure time of 2.5 seconds. The strong breezes also produced quite a wind chill and I made a mental note to dress a bit warmer for my next shoot. Above is my favorite photo from Saturday, taken about the time when the sun's light equaled the Jefferson's lights for brightness -- 6:25 AM.

By Kevin Ambrose  | February 18, 2008; 5:30 PM ET
Categories:  Photography
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tracking Two Small Chances for Snow
Next: Forecast: Colder with Snow Threats Looming

Comments

What were you doing in DC at 6:30 in the morning when you could have been digging relics? Winter is almost over and we haven't even hit a new site yet! Throw the camera down and grab that detector! Mr. Jefferson can wait until the nasty disgusting heat & humiditiy and foliage begins to take over again! And let's be thankful for this wonderful (so-called) Global Warming which has given us a Winter of weekends virtually free of that nasty good for nothing snow! (of course, we won't say anything to China about "global warming" when they are having their coldest Winter in 100 years! Let's send Gore over there to preach to them about "global warming! haha!). So... how about this weekend? Will there be snow or an ice storm on Friday night or not? LET'S HOPE NOT!

Posted by: Swamp Root | February 18, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

LETS HOPE! GO SNOW!!!!!

Posted by: d | February 18, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Wednesday and Friday Morning are now looking interesting. If the 00Z GFS holds up, we could be seeing 2 chances for light accumulation. (Though Friday morning might just be sleet... :-(

Posted by: mcleaNed | February 19, 2008 2:51 AM | Report abuse

Lovely photo ... thank you for going out in the cold and capturing this beautiful sight for us.

Posted by: Christine | February 19, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Anybody get photos of the double rainbow over the Mall yesterday afternoon? A great way to spend President's Day and was rewarded with the strongest, most powerful, rainbow I've ever seen in my life. Just wish my camera hadn't died.

Posted by: DC Centurion's Shield | February 19, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Also, no mention of the full Lunar Eclipse tomorrow night?

Posted by: DC Centurion's Shield | February 19, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Christine, I'm trying to capture one sunrise per week, at least that's the goal. The weather will be a bit more pleasant for photography in a couple of months.

Posted by: Kevin, Capital Weather Gang | February 19, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

DC Centurian's Shield, the full lunar eclipse occurs Feb 20 at 10:01 p.m. and I hope to try to photograph it provided the sky has cleared from the clipper storm system. Skies often clear quickly after clippers so it may be possible. Regarding the rainbow, sounds like an impressive site. I wish I had been at the Mall.

Posted by: Kevin, Capital Weather Gang | February 19, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to be out shooting with you too. And yeah, love the photographs and the general weather discussion here.

You did miss out. I'd say trying to plan a trip to the Mall around a storm like that again is time well spent. I might even take work off to do it.

Posted by: DC Centurion's Shield | February 19, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse