The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 02/18/2008

Tracking Two Small Chances for Snow

By Jason Samenow

Next Two Chances of Accumulating Snow: Wednesday and Thursday night through Saturday

Probabilities: 35% (Wednesday) and 30% (Thursday night through Saturday)

Potential Impact for Wednesday:
Potential Impact for Thursday night through Saturday:

The Wednesday snow opportunity comes courtesy of a clipper, a fast moving disturbance from Canada, that will race through the metro area or just to our north. These kinds of systems usually don't have a lot of moisture to work with, but can drop a quick inch or so of snow in spots if they track across the region or just to the south. Right now, it seems we'll be right on the southern edge of possibly getting some light accumulating snow, but we could just get flurries.

Many questions remain for the late Thursday through Saturday period ...

As discussed yesterday, some areas of storminess to the south may try to spread precipitation into the area at the same time a dome of cold high pressure builds to the north. It's still not clear whether or not the high pressure will suppress the precipitation to the south or whether we'll be in for a long duration winter precipitation event. It's also still unclear exactly what the predominant precipitation type will be -- snow, ice or rain -- if any. Details on this situation should slowly emerge over the next several days.

By Jason Samenow  | February 18, 2008; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Briefly Mild Then Cold Settles In
Next: Jefferson Dawn

Comments

Wow, a double SLCB! This might just be what saves our winter.

Posted by: mcleaNed | February 18, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

72 at National. 54 in NW Montgomery.

Posted by: JT | February 18, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

It's about 60 right now in NYC. Wish I was down there for the mid-seventees!

Posted by: Kalorama Park | February 18, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Cool,
any accumulations over 3 in.. Noaa says rain for Thu-Sat

Posted by: d | February 18, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Shower moved through here in Loudoun at around 12:55 PM. Hope it snows later on this week...

Posted by: Model Monkey | February 18, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

My opinion? If it is less than 2 inches, mother nature can keep it. I want one decent 4-6 inch snow before the season is over.

Posted by: dcteacherchic | February 18, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Hate this weather...WANT SNOW STORM OF MASSIVE PROPORTIONS!!!

Posted by: GRR! | February 18, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Heavy shower right now in Bethesda. Temp has definitely dropped and even though it's raining, there's blue sky out my window! Cool stuff!

Posted by: Peter | February 18, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

No rain at all after sunrise in eastern Silver Spring. Still partly cloudy skies, now with a breeze.

Posted by: Murre | February 18, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Some sizeable squally showers have popped up west of DC, looks like they will cross the city over the next hour.

Posted by: Ian, Capital Weather Gang | February 18, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Very nice day... a little warm for winter, but I'll take it. It clouded up nicely, so hopefully we'll be getting those showers.

Let's all pull for our snow chances!

Posted by: Period | February 18, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Light shower in Burke. I knew it would as soon as I saw the neighbor start to wash their car. Just like clock work. :)

Posted by: John - Burke | February 18, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Finally got the wind shift here in western Henrico... we've dropped almost 8 degrees in the last hour or so...

KD

Posted by: Kevin | February 18, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

of course it rained! Because I left every window in the house open to take advantage of the very sweet temperatures when I left at noon. I saw that squall line building up ... I should have known better .... :)

Posted by: weathergrrl | February 18, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Got up to 73F here around 1PM before the clouds moved in. I would be alright if it just stayed like this from now on, and winter was over, not that it ever really started. Hopefully we get an early spring, a late spring would only make this winter seem that much worse.

Posted by: arnoldkh | February 18, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I will place money on us not getting any more measurable snow until December.

Posted by: hobbes | February 18, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I like my chances for at least some snow Wednesday and then again Friday into the weekend. I think the weekend has more potential to bring signicant precip to the area but its way too soon to speculate as there is no consistency amongst the models.

Posted by: winchester | February 18, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

While D.C. is still basking in temps. between 55 - 60, Pointy Knob near Canaan Valley stands at 26.9 with snow falling.

Posted by: Augusta Jim | February 18, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

The latest 6-10 and 8-14 from the CPC, issued this afternoon, predicts below normal temps. and above normal precip. from the 24th until March 3.

Posted by: Augusta Jim | February 18, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

when is the next snow update going to be?

Posted by: d | February 18, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Id rather all this wet and grossness go away and bring back that gorgeous 74 degree weather! Who wants snow when you can get that kind of weather

Posted by: Tatyana | February 18, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Tatyana: show me the nicest spring day you can imagine, and I'd still take a snowstorm over it. We always have plenty of nice spring days each year; what we need is more snow. (Well, what I want, at least.) :-)

Posted by: mcleaNed | February 18, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Ned, I'm with Tatyana. Spring is too short in this area as it is. I'll take every day like early today in a heartbeat.

For the life of me, I can't understand why people would choose a cold snow and/or ice over a day like early today. But, to each his own, I suppose.

I want spring.

Posted by: Ivan | February 18, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Ivan:

Actually, the mid-atlantic is well known as having some of the nicest and longest springs of anywhere. While New England is cold and wet, socked in by backdoor cold fronts, in the 40s with rain, the mid-atlantic is typically sunny with days in the 50s, 60s, and 70s.

Posted by: Jim in Blacksburg | February 18, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

D: The next update will be tomorrow morning. There's not much new to report and it's a holiday

Posted by: Jason, Capital Weather Gang | February 18, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Snow Schmo. It's good for NOTHING. It was almost 78 degrees here in Dixie and loving every minute of it. I hope we never see another flake of God foresaken snow in the D.C area again EVER. I predict a decade of no snow. Besides, Al Gore, the greatest weather scientist of ALL TIME has predicted that we are in the midst of Global Warming brought on by mankind and we are doomed to never see our breath again! So get used to it. The Sky is falling! The sky is falling!

Posted by: Swamp Root | February 18, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Why do you beg for snow? All snow means is a bunch of traffic accidents and a terrible commute. If you want snow so badly, go visit WV.

Posted by: retarded | February 18, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Snow? The weathermen and women in this city couldn't predict yesterday's weather today! Have they gotten one rain or snow event right so far this winter? Throw the computers out the window, and then look out the window once and a while!!!

Posted by: Dontgetit | February 18, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Snow????

Just a ten hour drive away is toronto.
If you want to see snow, here is a foto site of metro toronto updated daily

Posted by: pvogel88 | February 18, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse

you will see the snow!

Metro toronto, just a ten hour drive away.
Lots closer than florida!

Posted by: pvogel88 | February 18, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Don't get your hopes up. The forecast is for two storms whith wintry-mix precipitation. The first one's a clipper that might not even drop snow on D.C. The second storm has more of a southerly track, but doesn't figure to be a huge snow-producer.

Posted by: El Bombo | February 19, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I hope you are correct. I hate Snow. I lived in Toledo for 3 years and Germany for more than that. Snow is highly overrated. And as another poster said, T.O is very close as is the Mid West, and Upstate NY, more snow that you could ever want. Leave us poor commuters out of it.

Posted by: snow is retarded | February 19, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse