The new Washington
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 7:30 PM ET, 02/ 9/2008

Photography: Virga Dawn

By Kevin Ambrose

A cloudy Saturday morning

morning_std.jpg
f/7, 2.5 second exposure, ISO 100 at 6:45am, sunrise was 7:07.

When I left to photograph DC early this morning the radar showed precipitation moving into the area, but no rain was actually hitting the ground. That phenomenon is classified as virga, precipitation that falls from the clouds but evaporates before reaching the ground. I knew the chances for a colorful sunrise were slim, but occasionally the rising sun will illuminate the virga, which often looks like dark streaks extending down from clouds. Unfortunately, the virga was not visible Saturday morning, but included are a few photos from the shoot and the radar image from a few minutes after sunrise.

2_9_08radar_std.jpg
Radar at sunrise showing mostly virga, but a few light showers did hit the ground. Image courtesy Intellicast.com

washington_std.jpg
f/7, 8 second exposure, ISO 100 at 6:36am, sunrise was 7:07.

lincoln_std.jpg
f/7, 2.5 second exposure, ISO 100 at 6:42am, sunrise was 7:07.

By Kevin Ambrose  | February 9, 2008; 7:30 PM ET
Categories:  Photography
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Stitch in Time & Weathermen at Channel 9
Next: Forecast: Front Brings Blustery Blast

Comments

Nice shots Kevin!

Posted by: Ian, Capital Weather Gang | February 9, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

A cousin told me that it is hard NOT to take a good shot on the Mall. I beg to differ. There's good snapshots (that most anyone can do), and then there's good photography. These beautys are an example of the latter. Makes me want break out my old SLR.

Posted by: TW | February 10, 2008 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Thanks! By the way, I took an interesting sunrise photo sequence this morning of a squall near Warrenton. It may get posted later this week?

Posted by: Kevin, Capital Weather Gang | February 10, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, all virga...I hardly saw a drop or flake at my place all weekend!!!

Posted by: El Bombo | February 11, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse