The new Washington
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:15 PM ET, 03/17/2008

CommuteCast: Mostly Clear and Cool

By Ian Livingston

Rain chances increase Tuesday

Temperatures a few degrees below average, mixed with wind, brought a chill to the air this morning and throughout the day. Highs have thus far struggled to make it to around 50 degrees under full sunshine. The commute home will be dry and cool as winds slowly slacken.

Tonight: Clouds will increase this evening in advance of a prolonged unsettled period that will begin Tuesday. Due to dry air at the surface, little or no rain is expected tonight as a warm front lifts through the region, but a few places north and west of the District may see some spotty light precipitation between midnight and sunrise. Lows will drop to the low to mid 30s in the typically colder suburbs and into the upper 30s for D.C. and southeast.

Tomorrow: Tuesday will be mostly cloudy, with increasing chances for rain late in the day. Winds will pick back up -- this time out of the south -- and may gust to around 30 mph by late afternoon or evening. Highs are expected to reach the low and mid 50s for most of the area.

See Jason's forecast through the rest of the week.

By Ian Livingston  | March 17, 2008; 3:15 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Freedman: The Winter That Was (Everywhere Else)
Next: Comment of the Week: Thunderstorm Winds

Comments

So when's the next chance for snow?

Posted by: High School Dork | March 17, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Canadian lightning data: Isolated to occasional strikes over the central U.S. (No strikes yet in Canada proper.)

Biggest issue in near term involves rain on Wednesday. This could really cause some problems for me on the 20th if I have to forego an evening grocery errand on Wed. evening. Tomorrow evening's swing dance figures to have issues with rainy or moist conditions.

Posted by: El Bombo | March 17, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

HSD, If you believe today's EURO, the next chance for snow is this weekend. Based on the year we've had and that it's late March... might want to get a second opinion. ;)

Posted by: Ian, Capital Weather Gang | March 17, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

"So when's the next chance for snow?"

LOL!

And I thought I was the optimist!

I'm not a weather guru or anything but based on what the fine folks here have been saying... I believe the season is over :(

Posted by: Haymarket Dave | March 17, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Depends on where you live, if it's in this area, then next winter, if it's N. Minn., probably this week. Can we still see a few flakes, yes, accum. snow, no.

Posted by: VaTechBob. | March 17, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

I finally retired from my snow hopes this winter.

Some folks still occasionally talk about a late storm near Easter.. I serriously doubt it. Its way too warm.

I do think that next winter will be more eventful with La Nina cycling out.

Posted by: skinsfn | March 17, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse