The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:30 PM ET, 03/ 7/2008

CommuteCast: Rain to Cause Slow Travel

By Ian Livingston

Soggy evening followed by rain and wind tomorrow

*Flood Watch in effect through this evening*

Rain has engulfed the entire area during the early afternoon and will continue through the evening commute. Temperatures have now fallen from their highs in the upper 40s back into the mid 40s and will stay steady through the evening. Roadways will be wet for the ride home, so extra caution is advised.

Tonight: Rain is expected to continue across the area in varying intensities through late evening before temporarily winding down prior to midnight. Some showers are possible during the lull in widespread precipitation, and a new area of rain should arrive around sunrise. Overnight temperatures will remain fairly steady early in the night, in the low to mid 40s, before slowly rising toward morning.

Tomorrow: Saturday will start off rainy with a chance of thunderstorms as the center of the storm nears and ultimately passes very close to the region. Temperatures will rise into the 50s, and to near 60 to the south and east, during the morning before colder air is pulled into the area during the afternoon. Most of the widespread rain should be moving to our north and east by afternoon, but some showers -- maybe a few snowflakes well north and west -- may continue intermittently, along with falling temperatures and increasingly gusty winds.

Cold and windy tomorrow night with lows in the mid to upper 20s.

See Dan's post for the full storm timeline and more storm details. See Camden's forecast for Sunday and early next week.

By Ian Livingston  | March 7, 2008; 3:30 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: In Focus: Timeline and More for Two-Day Storm
Next: Forecast: Wet, Windy, Wild Weather

Comments

Hopefully this "rain monster" exits this area by tomorrow noon.

I have no dances this weekend but it will mess with my Saturday errands (some of which I may have to put off until Sunday).

Posted by: El Bombo | March 7, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I guess its time to start enjoying the rain. Chances of snow this month are near zero and I must say... I do enjoy a good rainstorm. Somehow seems very soothing!

Posted by: Haymarket Dave | March 7, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

any advice on whether flights out of BWI Saturday evening around 8pm are likely to be disrupted?

Posted by: Clare | March 7, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Mets - When do you think we'll see our next "non-rainy" 60 degree day? I know the average is around 53 right now, so it wouldn't be that much out of the norm.

Posted by: Ivan | March 7, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

El Bombo,

Get an umbrella. It's just rain. You aren't going to melt if you go do errands.

Posted by: Laura | March 7, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

I'm mellllltttttinnngggggg!!!

Posted by: Wicked Witch West of the Blue Ridge | March 7, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Clare-- Rain should be temporarily letting up around then. But you may have some delays due to low clouds.

Posted by: Jason, Capital Weather Gang | March 7, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

thanks for advice about flights from BWI. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I think this storm is following me. There are forecasts for 80mph winds and rain in England after we land on Sunday.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 7, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

3/19

Posted by: Anonymous | March 7, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure where this inch and a half or rain is coming from. I don't even have .30 inches yet and it has stopped raining and the national radar shows the bulk of the rain to the east of me and nothing to the south or west.

Posted by: JT | March 7, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

I love a rainy night...

Rain drops keep fallin on my head...

Posted by: classics | March 7, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Both HM and CAPWX now agree on a chance of thunderstorms on Sat., DC and east.

Developing low pressure now approaching Atlanta, enhanced water vapor loop clearly shows strong fetch moving north across w. Carolina's. Rain should refire overnight, hopefully lasting most of Sat. Will probably change to snow, especially western areas before ending.

Posted by: Augusta Jim | March 7, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

JT:
The developing rain over n.central Georgia, the w. Carolina's and e. Tenn. should spread ne back into our area overnight.

But, believe it when you see it in the gauge. Nearly every system for more than a year has under performed .

If BOMBO would zip it, maybe we could get some decent rain, especially south and southwest of DC where it's most needed, short term.

Posted by: Augusta Jim | March 7, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

He has no concept of why rain is needed. Getting to dances and errands are paramount. Don't you know that yet?

Posted by: NTOMB | March 7, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Snow lovers need to move to the delta !

Memphis tonight 2- 4 inches

Posted by: MDScot | March 7, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

MDScot:
Memphis already had 5.5 inches at 10 pm with more coming down.

We are being dry slotted again. This is looking like another failed potential, except for some, who may receive a downpour from a Thunderstorm.

I have received .25" of a potential of 1.00-1.25".

Posted by: Augusta Jim | March 8, 2008 1:56 AM | Report abuse

I think NOVA VA/DC was the only damn area that didn't get a good snow this winter. Im serious. Everyone around us got snow. There are snow advisorys in the DEEP south. Ohio is getting a blizzard.

I hope we get a thousand year blizzard next winter.

Posted by: mad | March 8, 2008 2:50 AM | Report abuse