The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:00 AM ET, 03/ 9/2008

Forecast: A Calming Chill

By Jason Samenow

There will be no thunder, no hail, and no 60 mph winds today. Instead, we will transition into a kinder, gentler weather pattern with diminishing winds and sunshine. Nevertheless, it will be chilly -- at least for the next couple of days.

TODAY

Not as windy but chilly. Mid 40s. While the winds will gradually ease today, you'll notice them this morning. With subfreezing temperatures and 15-20 mph northwest winds, wind chills will be only around 20 to start the day. But as sunshine warms the air and the winds wane, it will become brisk as opposed to bitter with mid to late afternoon high temperatures 43-47.

Overnight, temperatures drop back down to the mid 20s in the colder suburbs to near 30 downtown under clear skies and calm winds.

Keep reading for the forecast for next week...

MONDAY

Increasing clouds, light precipitation at night. 45-49. Mostly sunny skies in the morning will give way to mostly cloudy skies in the afternoon as a weak area of low pressure approaches the region. High temperatures will likely fall just shy of 50. Overnight, a period of light rain is possible (50% chance) that could mix with and change to snow (especially north and west) between about 5 p.m. and 2 a.m. Little or no accumulation is expected. Temperatures near 40 (when any precipitation begins) should gradually fall to 28-32 by morning.

A LOOK AHEAD

Tuesday through Thursday will likely be dry and seasonable. Day time highs will probably be around 50 Tuesday warming to 55 by Thursday. Overnight lows will generally be near 30 in the colder suburbs to the mid 30s inside the beltway. Some rain may develop during the day Friday, with highs in the 40s.

By Jason Samenow  | March 9, 2008; 5:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Is It Still Winter?
Next: News & Notes: Wind, Ohio Snow & Bob Ryan

Comments

I know I saw mention on the board of it being comparatively windier thus far this year, but of course I can't find that reference now. I'm thinking ahead to an early start of the sailing season - what are the implications for winds of current and expected patterns over the next 6-8 weeks? Is that something we can predict, even casually, given what we know about major factors on our weather such as the NAO and La Nina?

Posted by: ~sg | March 9, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Where is today's (Sunday) Washington Post print edition coverage of the Ohio valley snowstorm?

Posted by: Artjohn | March 9, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

It's in Nation in Brief, A9, just above "Bush Vetoes Ban on Waterboarding". :)

Posted by: Steve, Capital Weather Gang | March 9, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

~sg: I think we'll probably stay in a windy pattern. There's no strong indicator that the pattern is going to change.

Posted by: Jason, Capital Weather Gang | March 9, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Jason...I'll batten down the hatches.

Posted by: ~sg | March 9, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for finding that Jason; I would have like to see more coverage, but at least the nearby blizzard got mentioned.

Posted by: Artjohn | March 9, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes I wish that there existed weather forecasts for runners. I had an OK run this morning considering that I was battling 20 mph headwinds all the way back. Not that I wouldn't have gone out running had I fully realized the fun in store, but I would have been better prepared mentally to be really slow.

Posted by: Lindemann | March 9, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse