The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:00 AM ET, 03/ 7/2008

Forecast: Rainy and Stormy Through Saturday

By Camden Walker

WeatherCamGet ready for rain and lots of it. It starts around lunch time and will continue on and off through tomorrow afternoon. We'll also have to contend with wind, starting Saturday and lasting into Sunday. Sunday's saving grace will be a return of sunshine, but cooler temperatures in the 40s could be nippy due to the pesky wind!

TODAY

Cloudy with p.m. rain. Around 50. Clouds quickly move in around sunrise, putting the brakes on temperatures. By lunchtime temperatures will only warm a few degrees to near 50 and we'll probably start to see some showers. Rain intensity will pick up steadily through late afternoon. Sorry your commute home is going to be ...sopping. Yuck.

Overnight, we may have a break from the rain between about 8 p.m. and 2 a.m., but another round of rain should begin in the pre-dawn hours. It will feel fairly raw with steady temperatures in the mid to upper 40s.

TOMORROW

Rain then wind. Mid to upper 50s but falling late It will be a volatile day. Rain will continue in the morning as temperatures rise due to strong southeasterly winds ahead of an approaching cold front. Locations south and east of town, like Fredericksburg, Va. and Salisbury, Md. could hit 60. These same areas are those most likely to see thunderstorms. After the front passes, northwesterly winds will really start to crank (20-30 mph with higher gusts) and temperatures will drop through the 40s by sunset. The wind will tend to dry things out in the afternoon although a few showers could linger. Even a snow flurry can't be ruled out well north and west of town before the day is out.

Overnight, temperatures will drop below freezing everywhere as skies clear. Gusty winds will continue out of the west, with lows in the mid to upper 20s. Everyone will feel wind chills in the 20s or even teens in the outlying north and west suburbs. Brrr.

Keep reading for the forecast through Sunday and beyond. Ask yourself: Does "average" make me happy?

Monet-esk!
A quiet March sunset captured last night right off Logan Circle downtown, by Capital Weather Gang's A. Camden Walker

SUNDAY

Sunny! Mid 40s. Maybe I should mention the slight breeze out of the WNW, yet I am giving you warm March sunshine to help compensate! By afternoon, temperatures will rise well into the 40s. No chance of rain, so we finally get to dry out fully. By evening, the breeze from the NNW will die down a bit. Expect overnight lows to vary from the low 20s in locations near Leesburg, to the upper 20s around the Tidal Basin.

A LOOK AHEAD

Mostly murky and average temperatures start off our week during Monday. We have a 30% chance of a few showers (not a washout at all) along with high temperatures around 50 degrees.

Tuesday could be spot-on our average high temperature of 53. A slight NW breeze may accompany the passage of a weak cold front in the early morning hours, but all in all - a mild, sunny day looks probable!

By Camden Walker  | March 7, 2008; 5:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: CommuteCast: Another Mild Ride
Next: In Focus: Timeline and More for Two-Day Storm

Comments

whats the possibility of the area getting any more snow?

Posted by: m.kalish | March 7, 2008 6:20 AM | Report abuse

I'm thinking zero, until next January (if then).

Posted by: WSL | March 7, 2008 7:00 AM | Report abuse

I do not write-off accumulating snow for the DC area until March ends. We can even see some snow showers in April--but accumulation then is virtually zero.

Posted by: Camden, Capital Weather Gang | March 7, 2008 7:43 AM | Report abuse

side question for M.kalish, your name reminds me of a business owner in mid-city/Logan area of DC. Do you own businesses near 14th street? had to ask. :)

Posted by: Camden, Capital Weather Gang | March 7, 2008 7:45 AM | Report abuse

I always hate asking time-specific questions, but I have a tennis scrimmage at 400, will it be a wash out?

Posted by: Big Goob | March 7, 2008 8:13 AM | Report abuse

All I have to say is the DC metro area just plain old stinks when it comes to snow... looking at http://www.nws.noaa.gov/ you notice states such as AL, GA, MS and LA are expecting snow... here nada! Would not be surprised if their winter snow total exceeds our area this year. What's the deal? Did we do something in this area to upset Jack Frost?

Posted by: Battman | March 7, 2008 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Big Goob: Yes-- a washout.

Posted by: Jason, Capital Weather Gang | March 7, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Glad I brought the umbrella to work this morning.

Also glad I got to Snowshoe last weekend. Glorious skiing.

Posted by: wiredog | March 7, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Battman, you can than LaNina this winter.

Our pattern this winter has been the exact same. The cold air is not deeply entrenched. Whenever a storm moves in,Bye Bye cold...Almost every storm pops the cold out. You can than our Bremuda High for that.

Its gonna be a hot summer.

Posted by: Ice | March 7, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Sorry...I cannot spell. You can "Thank" LaNina this winter.

Posted by: Ice | March 7, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Since it is not likely we are going to get any snow this winter,

Does next winter look more normal from an experts standpoint?

Thanks

Posted by: Anonymous | March 7, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Is it just me or have the winds been a lot stronger then usual this winter?

Posted by: Anonymous | March 7, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Since this blog has gone over to the Post I've noticed several people asking for exact the time when the rain/snow/ice will start because of outdoor events. Perhaps the team could link a better radar site to the blog so people could figure it out for themselves. There must be five different radar sites available that are easy to read and would save these kind of posts that sometimes never get answered.

Posted by: JT | March 7, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

(s)

Posted by: El Bombo | March 7, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Please disregard or remove the previous post (I HATE the way this computer sometimes tends to "involuntarily" post!)

What makes me MAD is that Sterling has a repeat of this weekend's storm just in time for my IMPORTANT March 14 singles dance! Boy am I upset the way these darned rainstorms keep setting up for my DANCE NIGHTS!!! It really can cut back on dance attendance (especially the ladies from Frederick, Fredericksburg and Harpers Ferry whom I don't always see that often). At least next Tuesday's dance at the Clarendon Ballroom looks dry for now. This will be the first dance in nearly a month free of rain, ice or damp weather. Hopefully attendance on Tuesday night will SOAR.

Tomorrow's rainstorm annoys me as I may need to bump my Saturday errands into Sunday. The problem is that one group of people I know are always trying to force me into THEIR Sunday agenda. I'll just tell this group "Sorry I have to run my 'Saturday' errands today because of the abominable weather yesterday." I was thinking of scrubbing a 10 AM Sunday event anyway due to the Daylight Saving Time "jet lag" hit. Tomorrow's rainstorm may just make ducking that morning event easier for me!

Posted by: El Bombo | March 7, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Wow, that's the first time I ever asked a time-specific question and I'm getting scolded. People on the old site used to ask these questions all the time. The forecast above wasn't 100 percent clear to me as to what time exactly definite rain would enter the area. I saw showers, but sometimes they don't verify. Sorry I wasted 10 seconds of your life asking one question, it won't happen again.

Posted by: Big Goob | March 7, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

@JT
Great Timing! If you scroll down the sidebar, you will see a new box called "Links." This is the new home to those features many have requested over the past 2 months, including model information, more radars, and other important weather and climate links. Check it out!

Posted by: Jamie Jones, CapitalWeather Gang | March 7, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Just saw this on DCRTV; evidently it has been overlooked in previous postings. Evidently Comcast is "lusting after" the Weather Channel, to the tune of $5 billion purchas price. This will be fine with me in Arlington (as we are on a Comcast cable system and already get their Weatherscan local service) but I'm wondering about those folks whose cable systems are with Cox, Charter, Time-Warner etc. Will non-Comcast cable systems lose the Weather Channel when Comcast buys it???

This could have some forecasting accuracy impact, as the Weather Channel apparently has the highest forecast accuracy, followed closely by (surprise!!!) AccuWeather. Both TWC and AccuWeather are rated as more accurate (around 80-85%) than the National Weather Service (somewhere in the 68-70% range). Maybe former Senator Santorum was right about privatizing weather forecasting after all!

Posted by: El Bombo | March 7, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

El Bombo -

Models are "hinting" at a similiar rain event next week at this time. I hope this does not interrupt your dance. Also, are you going to be on next season's "Dancing with the Stars?"

Posted by: Greg | March 7, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

re: next winter-- assuming La Nina relaxes some (which it should), it should be colder/snowier

re: more windy than usual? it seems so. an active northern jet stream coupled with southerly flow from the southeast ridge (aka Bermuda high) is likely responsible

Big Goob-- You weren't being scolded by JT--he was making a suggestion to us to provide links to radar (which we've added). You and others are welcome to ask time specific questions. We can't always guarantee a response, but we'll do our best.

Posted by: Capital Weather Gang | March 7, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Any minute now...serious splashing outside!

Posted by: Bikerjohn | March 7, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

...FLOOD WATCH FOR IMMEDIATE METRO COUNTIES ALONG INTERSTATE 95...

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | March 7, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I live in Fredericksburg, VA...Are we in a higher risk area for severe weather/tornadoes/straight line winds later this weekend? Thanks

Posted by: Stormy | March 7, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Too Bad these past few storms were not snow. We would have got a serious dumping.

If we can get this weather next winter with LaNina over. I think we may finally see a big snow.

Posted by: StormChaser | March 7, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Here we go again with the mean little flirtatious models....Im not going to even say the word.

Next week

/// and

3/19....:)

Posted by: Anonymous | March 7, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | March 7, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

BigGoob said "Sorry I wasted 10 seconds of your life asking one question, it won't happen again"

I was trying to be helpful by suggesting that people can easily find out information for themselves instead of asking time-sensitive questions which often never get answered. Once in the past I posted a short tutorial with a link to regional weather radar site and it was lost in a thread. Sorry to have offended you.

Posted by: JT | March 7, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Mets, any guesses as to when we will see sunny and 60 again? Given that average highs for DC are now in the mid 50's, that's not too much of a departure from the norm.

Posted by: Ivan | March 7, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Sprinkles have given way to a pretty good shower here outside the Beltway in MoCo.

Posted by: Steve, Capital Weather Gang | March 7, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Here in Prince Gorgeous County it's rain with no end to the gloom in sight.

Posted by: Lindemann | March 7, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse