The new Washington
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:00 AM ET, 03/ 8/2008

Forecast: Wet, Windy, Wild Weather

By Jason Samenow

Turning very cold tonight

*Wind Advisory in effect from 4 p.m. to midnight*

Mother nature is going to throw everything at us today. First, she'll give us warm temperatures along with showers and possibly thunderstorms in the morning. In the afternoon, she'll crank up the wind machine and part the skies to deliver a little sunshine. At the same time, she'll pour in a healthy dose of cold air that may destabilize the atmosphere enough to trigger a few more showers that could mix with snow well north and west of town by evening. The bottom line: expect changeable conditions throughout the day and be prepared for cold, windy conditions tonight.

TODAY

Mild and wet, then very windy and colder with isolated showers. Mid to upper 50s and falling. Showers will accompany the morning hours, with even a rumble or two of thunder possible -- especially south and east of town. During the afternoon, a strong cold front will partially clear things out. Notice I say partially because, despite the emergence of the sun, some isolated showers may redevelop and even mix with a few flakes by evening north and west of Fairfax and Montgomery counties.

Temperatures will hold steady in the mid 50s through the mid afternoon and crash thereafter. By dark, temperatures will be falling through the 40s. As the temperatures drop, winds will pick-up. Winds out of the south during the first half of the day at around 10 mph will shift and come out of the west in the afternoon, increasing to 20-30 mph by evening with higher gusts.

Overnight, the winds will howl and it will be extremely cold (relative to our recent mild temperatures). Temperatures will drop into the mid to upper 20s but with 15-25 mph winds (and higher gusts), many locations will feel like the teens.

Keep reading for the forecast for Sunday into early next week...

SUNDAY

Breezy and cold. Mid 40s. While not as fierce as today, gusty winds from the northwest will continue blowing in cold air. Sunshine will aid temperatures in rising at least halfway through the 40s, but it will feel like the 30s much of the day factoring in the 15 mph winds. The winds will finally calm Sunday night, with temperatures dropping down to near 30 downtown and the mid 20s in the colder suburbs. Skies will be clear much of the night but some high clouds may increase towards morning.

A LOOK AHEAD

Monday may be on the cloudy side, but dry as a weak disturbance fizzles out as it passes over us. Highs will likely be in the mid 40s. High pressure sits atop of us Tuesday and Wednesday meaning sunny skies and temperatures in the low to mid 50s.

By Jason Samenow  | March 8, 2008; 5:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: CommuteCast: Rain to Cause Slow Travel
Next: Is It Still Winter?

Comments

And the beat goes on......my temp for the last 12 hours has been 38, dense fog and mist....total of .28 or rain....with most of the rain btwn noon and 5pm friday....the (non)winter of my discontent continues...

Posted by: Mike from the Blue Ridge | March 8, 2008 6:04 AM | Report abuse

Hate to tell you that I told you so but...........still .30 in the gauge. No sign of anything on radar except for a few spotty showers moving southwest to northeast.

Posted by: JT | March 8, 2008 7:15 AM | Report abuse

My mother in Ohio just sent me pictures of the "blizzard" they're experiencing right now. Reminds me of my childhood when I actually saw real snow each winter. By the way...on the old site, you had a poll asking how much snow we'd get this winter? I was one of those folks that guessed 5 inches or less. I think that's very close to what we ended up with this winter in the Vienna/McLean area.

Posted by: Matthew@Tysons | March 8, 2008 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Wondering if I'm going to get away with a trip to the marina to meet a fiberglass contractor for a bid on my boat's hull. I'm guessing no dice.

Posted by: ~sg | March 8, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse

If you go to CNN.com you can watch the blizzard in Cleveland - live streaming video from Jacobs Field! This is as close as it is going to be for us to getting snow for the remainder of the season.....how sad!

Posted by: Greg | March 8, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Matthew,

I am so there with you. My hometown of Dayton is getting 10-17 inches....sigh...

We would be out in our snowgear digging tunnels, making igloos(only big enough for the cat), and making a snow Snoopy(yeah, we marched to a different beat). We would only come in when my Mom made us, thaw out the mittens on the radiator, and start all over again.

I guess on a positive note, those drought signs in my neighborhood may finally come down?

Posted by: Sara in Oakton | March 8, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

I remember making snow igloos, too, in the snow plow drifts along the road in Albany, New York. We'd actually get in them...I can't believe my mom let us do that. Maybe she didn't know? I'd never have let my kids get under one of those piles!

Posted by: missy | March 8, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Sara, that's funny--my brothers and I did the same things when we were growing up. In our back yard we always had these huge snow drifts that were sometimes 3-4 feet high, and we'd dig tunnels in them all the time. One time we made an ice igloo (we made it out of snow and then sprinkled water on it to turn it to ice) and that thing totally ROCKED! It was big enough for one of us to fit in.

I'm from the Springfield/Urbana area, so I reckon we grew up with the same kinda weather.

Posted by: Matthew@Tysons | March 8, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

wondering if anyone would predict a gap today between the rain and the pick-up of the winds - for running outside purposes.

Posted by: jeffc | March 8, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Go now, before the winds crank up. the sun's peeking out out here in New Balto and the fog is starting to lift a bit. it's 48, interested to see how warm it'll actually get before the cold air arrives ....

Posted by: weathergrrl | March 8, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

jeffc: Go within the next hour for sure - http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/ofs/cbofs/wind_forecast.shtml

Posted by: ~sg | March 8, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

In Lake Ridge we reached 54.5, and the temp has dropped to 51.8...in 30 minutes.

The sun keeps breaking through the clouds every few seconds, makes it look like a giant disco ball is outside because of the flashing, lol.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | March 8, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

hmm, thanks all - I'm heading out!

Posted by: jeffc | March 8, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mike from the Blue Ridge | March 8, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Sorry bout the double posts folks, but everytime i hit refresh to see new comments it posts my earlier comment.....can't blame it on haloscan this time.....lol

Posted by: Mike from the Blue Ridge | March 8, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Quite spring like here in Arlington. Almost mid 60s and sunny.

Posted by: Period | March 8, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Within the past 10 minutes my yard has become littered with some sizeable tree limbs. Anybody know what the wind speeds here in the district are?

Posted by: Laura in NWDC | March 8, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Laura: Gusts have generally been in the vicinity of 40-50mph. The 4pm observation at DCA was a sustained wind at 39 mph gusting to 52 mph!

Posted by: Jason, Capital Weather Gang | March 8, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Why severe thunderstorms with the dew point this low? It usually take a dew point of 50-55 for real storms. Of course, we have intense dynamics today...and low-topped storms. Some radars showed rotation with a cell that moved from Loudoun to Montgomery Co around 3:30......I don't know why a tornado warning was not issued, as is customary in that case.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 8, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

There was enough of a gap Saturday to enable me to run both my grocery errands! It made my Sunday a lot easier and I was able to get out on the W&OD Trail for a while yesterday afternoon. The only bad thing to happen Saturday was that the shower slightly after noon drenched me on the way home from the Safeway. Later on, I was able to run the Giant errand and get home before the wind picked up. In all it was not the continuous rainy "windbag" that everyone was predicting for Saturday though the 14,000+ Dominion Virginia outages scared me a bit that evening. One of the worst things about these windbags is the power outages they can cause.

Posted by: El Bombo | March 10, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse