The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 04/18/2008

Comment of the Week: Busy on the Boards

By Dan Stillman

Capital Weather Gang's comments area has been quite busy as of late. Things really picked up on April 7 in response to Andrew Freedman's column, "The Price of Al Gore's Climate Battle." More recently, we've had discussions about how sleet can form with temperatures in the 50s. And, incredibly, one commenter took us seriously when we suggested the Pope might be responsible for this week's gorgeous weather.

The comment of the week, however, goes to 'doug.' Actually, this comment was posted last week, but "Comment of the Previous Week" isn't so catchy, and this one was too good to leave out on a technicality. Doug's comment was in response to Jason Samenow's post from the 2008 Bahamas Weather Conference, where Colorado State University hurricane experts issued their forecast -- and were met with skepticism from some commenters -- for the upcoming hurricane season:

It's been interesting on here the past couple days to see the high number of comments that are dismissive of predictions based on mathematical (computer) models. I recognize that many of the comments of this nature on Andrew's post from Monday are from people simply being obtuse, but I wonder if there are some larger underlying misgivings...

I mean, it's clear to me (in a scientific sense) why a research group would put their predictions out there before the hurricane season starts. It's also clear to me from a policy/safety sense of why having an idea of the possible number of hurricanes is important, even if that number is eventually wrong. Some number is better than no number, so long as the method is transparent.

It's not the model's fault if the media treats a number as gospel, and most of the time it's not the scientists' fault, either. Error bars are included in published papers, but often not in the reports about them. Would a better option be that no results are discussed?

I guess where I'm going is that I don't get where the passionate criticism and outright dismissal of scientists, models, and the modeling process comes from when a model misses its exact prediction, but was still within the stated range of possible outcomes. I guess I'm more about living and learning. But I'd like to learn where other people are coming from.

Sorry if that came out a bit disjointed. I haven't quite put my finger on what exactly I'm finding the problem to be.

By Dan Stillman  | April 18, 2008; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  Capital Weather Gang
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Sunny & Warm 'Til a Sunday Storm
Next: CommuteCast: Basking in Sunshine

Comments

According to the Gray group's own statement, the April forecast in past seasons has not been better than no number.

Posted by: Steve, Capital Weather Gang | April 18, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Steve: You're absolutely right. But Klotzbach and Gray have revamped their methodology this year -- removing several of the predictors which demonstrably have no skill since the mid 90s -- so it will be interesting to see if there is any improvement.

Posted by: Jason, Capital Weather Gang | April 18, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Read Carl Sagan's "The Demon-Haunted World" and Susan Jacoby's "The Age of American Unreason". What you see is a combination of scientific illiteracy and a public eager to swallow the politically-driven propaganda of interested parties that are trying to stave off reality for as long as they can. All of us will suffer for the willing blindness of these political and economic elites and the masses they so easily spin. Something very bad will have to happen before people will step out of the cave, I fear.

Posted by: Erika Froh | April 18, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

I am just shocked that the comment you chose as the "Comment of the Week" was a comment that argued in favor of your position. Shocking.

And you didn't let a little thing like having to go back further than one week to find such a comment deter you. And you didn't let the fact that the comment was older than one week deter you from selecting it as the "Comment of the Week". Journalism at its finest.

With such fair and balanced journalism, I am at a complete loss to understand why newspaper circulation is falling. It is baffling.

C. Quesenberry

Posted by: C. Quesenberry | April 21, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

With such fair and balanced journalism, I am at a complete loss to understand why newspaper circulation is falling. It is truly baffling.

Posted by: C.Q. | April 21, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse