The new Washington
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 12:00 PM ET, 04/27/2008

Photography: Lincoln's Duck and Lincoln Sunset

By Kevin Ambrose
lincolnduck15_std.jpg
A lone duck rests motionless on the Reflecting Pool Thursday evening.

Photography often reminds me of fishing in that some luck is typically involved. With Thursday evening's photo shoot, my good luck arrived in the form of a duck that posed motionless on the reflection of the Lincoln Memorial, giving me plenty of time to compose and shoot photos. Without the duck, I would have just another Lincoln Memorial photo.

Read below to check out the sunset at the Lincoln Memorial, a photo with more ducks, and a night scene at the WWII Memorial. Also, check out our full forecast for a look ahead to early next week.

lincolnsunset4_std.jpg
Sunset at the Lincoln Memorial.

The weather was great for a sunset shoot Thursday evening. We had calm winds, mild temperatures, and the sky was filled with high-level cirrus clouds. But despite the beautiful weather and sky conditions, the colors at sunset and dusk were just average. Above is a photo of the Lincoln at sunset with the cirrus clouds glowing yellow. Below is a photo of ducks swimming through blossom petals that had accumulated at one end of the Reflecting Pool. The last photo shows the WWII Memorial in lights. The luck involved with that shot was waiting for a gap in tourists, which is not always possible during the evening hours.

ducks_std.jpg
Ducks swim through blossom petals on the Reflecting Pool.

wwii_std.jpg
The WWII Memorial at night.

By Kevin Ambrose  | April 27, 2008; 12:00 PM ET
Categories:  Photography
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NatCast: Cloudy and Cool
Next: Forecast: Cool Air Keeps Coming

Comments

Accotink Lake/West Springfield/Mixing Bowl = Sunday 6pm Running Total = 0.32"

Posted by: Bikerjohn | April 27, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Great pictures of the WWII memorial. Do find yourself having problems capturing the colors and depth at night? I seem to always get blown out lighting no matter what settings I use. I thought about doing an HDR-like image but I thought it might be too dark overall.

Posted by: Paul - Sterling | April 28, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Paul. Since I use a digital camera I sometimes play with the camera's white balance to try to capture the best color. I also shoot in manual mode, low ISO, high Fstop, with various timed exposures. I usually get a photo or two that turns our OK. Purists would call that the shotgun approach, but it works.

Posted by: Kevin, Capital Weather Gang | April 28, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Kevin,

Budding photog here. Would it be possible to post higher resolutions of your pictures? This is no insult to you -- but you could have shot those with a dinky point-and-shoot and there wouldn't be too much of a difference, because the posted pictures are so small.

I enjoy your pictures... keep em coming.

Posted by: Jake in Reston | April 28, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Jake. I understand your comment and I realize that posting low resolution images does not really show off the photo to it's full extent. Much of the details of these 14 megapixel images are lost when resizing the photos for the post. However, high-res images take a long time to download and if I were to post them as high-res, the photos would become public domain. Since I also sell prints to galleries, I don't want to release the photos as public domain. Ultimately, that's the main reason.

Posted by: Kevin, Capital Weather Gang | April 28, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Kevin, you could always use Creative Commons licensing. That's what a lot of my friends on Flickr do.

Posted by: Paul - Sterling | April 29, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Paul, I'll check into Creative Commons licensing -- thanks. By the way, one thing I forgot to mention about taking night photos, I like to photograph on the edge of dusk or dawn. With a little natural light filtering into the sky, I think it makes for a better color balanced photo. Just my preference.

Posted by: Kevin, Capital Weather Gang | April 29, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Ya, my friend always likes to take pics at dusk right as the sky starts becoming that dark blue. He has a name for it but I can't remember what he calls it. Makes sense though, you don't have to take as long of an exposure and things don't start looking unnatural

Posted by: Paul - Sterling | April 30, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse