The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:00 AM ET, 04/21/2008

Forecast: Showers Stick Around but Settle Down

By Jason Samenow

Downpours, booming thunder, lightning and even a couple isolated tornadoes proved to be a major disruption yesterday. Bouts of wet weather continue today, but shouldn't have yesterday's punch. The volume on the storminess meter drops another notch Tuesday, even as it remains cool and a bit damp. Then the storminess meter goes on mute the rest of the work week, as a fine stretch of sunny, dry weather commences Wednesday.

TODAY

Latest mid-Atlantic radar loop. Courtesy National Weather Service. Refresh page to update. Click here to expand.

Intermittent showers. 60-65. The energetic storm responsible for yesterday's periodic downpours will drift southeastward. Even as it gets farther away from us, it will continue to tap Atlantic moisture and send some of it our way. So expect on and off shower activity as well as some isolated thunder, but the coverage and frequency of showers over the metro area should be less than yesterday. The most persistent, widespread and intense rain will likely be to our south towards Richmond.

Overnight, widely scattered showers should taper to drizzle, with lows in the mid 50s.

Confidence: Medium-High

TOMORROW

Cloudy. Low 60s. An easterly fetch will keep it damp and cool. A bit of morning drizzle is possible with mostly cloudy skies in the afternoon. The sky may brighten a bit late in the day as temperatures stretch to climb above 60.

Mostly cloudy overnight, with lows 50-55.

Confidence: Medium

Keep reading for the forecast for the rest of the week...

A LOOK AHEAD

We dry out and some sunshine finally returns Wednesday, with temperatures reaching the low 70s. Confidence: Medium

Thursday and Friday have nice day written all over them with lots of sunshine and pleasantly mild high temperatures in the mid to upper 70s. Confidence: Medium-High

Warm sunshine continues through the first half of Saturday, before a cold front brings a chance of showers and storms late. Highs should be in the mid to upper 70s. Confidence: Medium

On Sunday, high pressure gradually builds in behind Saturday's front with a mix of clouds and sun and afternoon temperatures climbing towards 70. Confidence: Medium

By Jason Samenow  | April 21, 2008; 5:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Alert: Heavy Rain, Storms Affecting Metro Area
Next: Recap: Yesterday's Stormy Situation

Comments

The Chillum tornado touched down perhaps 2.25 miles from my house. My wife said it became very very dark at that time. Even in Bethesda it became very dark. I'm glad nobody was killed or injured by it.

Posted by: Murre | April 21, 2008 6:22 AM | Report abuse

No tornado in Harpers Ferry, thank God. My sympathy for the poor souls who experienced that! Here we've got 5" of rain and it's still coming down. It feels like more. Except for a quick glimpse of the moon at 10:15 p.m. Sunday, it's rained pretty much nonstop since 6:00 a.m. Sunday. Add in yesterday's lightning and today's gusty winds and it's a total doozy. Every time I check the radar, more colorful clumps are marching toward me.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | April 21, 2008 7:36 AM | Report abuse

I was at 4.65 inches this morning at 6am - another shower has rolled thru since then per radar. One more heavy downpour and we could get to 5 inches in the LoCo bootheel. The heaviest rains have trained right over my head for 24 hours - less at Sterling just to my northeast and probably less at Middleburg to my west. Just like this winter, I'm in the bullseye. I felt guilty when I was getting 6 inches of snow twice this year when the rest of you were getting squat. Regardless, its going to be time to mow the lawn finally later this week. 5 inches...wow.

Posted by: Dulles ARC | April 21, 2008 7:50 AM | Report abuse

The storms last night were nasty, one thunder boom shook my house, and set off a series of car alarms in my neighborhood... it sounded like a bomb...

the only damage i saw was to my dogs cage, she got sooo nervous in the storm, she bent the metal of her cage, and jumped into bed with me...

Posted by: Tim, Alexandria, VA | April 21, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

As of 7:15 this morning I had a storm total of 2.28" in McLean.

Posted by: Peter L | April 21, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

2.92 so far in NW Montgomery.

Posted by: JT | April 21, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

2 day totals through 10a: 3.92" IAD, 1.94" BWI, 1.77" DCA

Posted by: Ian, Capital Weather Gang | April 21, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

What great sleeping weather! I am not joking!

Lots of standing water on my commute into work today.

On a different note, was anyone else driving the outer loop last night around midnight? Shut down completely?? Acid on the beltway?

Posted by: Jake in Reston | April 21, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Rain has been off and on since yesterday morning in South Arlington.

This storm hit at a time I could enjoy everything from indoors. There were occasional thunderstorms/downpours but nothing continuous. We are probably close to 2 inches for the duration of the storm. Things may begin to taper off slowly as the low passes to our south and east.

Posted by: El Bombo | April 21, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse