The new Washington
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 12:00 PM ET, 04/ 6/2008

Photography: A Blooming Good Time

By Ian Livingston

Capital Weather Gang photographers join forces

IMG_2212.jpg
By Ian Livingston -- A man enjoys the cherry blossoms.

With all the unsettled weather recently, I focused on last Wednesday as a great opportunity for a photo shoot down at the Tidal Basin while the blossoms were at peak. It was a weekday, so I knew to expect at least a few less people than I saw on the opening day of the festival.

My plan was to meet my fellow photographer Kevin Ambrose for our first combined shoot, and his second of the day. After a half hour photographing solo on the northwest side of the Tidal Basin, he gave me a call to let me know he was back on the scene. I excitedly told him I had just met Bob Ryan, then headed off to his location.

20080402_livingston_ambrose.jpg
By Ian Livingston -- Kevin Ambrose plans out a picture.

I arrived where Kevin had set up just after 6:30 p.m., and the lighting was perfect with the wind slowly diminishing. Sunshine was still hitting all the blossoms on the northeast side of the Tidal Basin, so we focused on the main walkway opposite the Jefferson Memorial.

20080402_livingston_evening.jpg
By Ian Livingston -- Evening at the Tidal Basin.

20080402_ambrose_evening.jpg
By Kevin Ambrose -- Evening at the Tidal Basin.

The path was crowded due to the nice weather, but less so than during my earlier visit. Comparing notes and techniques with Kevin, we wandered southeast down the walkway looking for the right mix of light and composition. The wind that was problematic earlier in the day continued to quickly wane.

20080402_ambrose_pre-dusk.jpg
By Kevin Ambrose -- Pre-dusk at the Tidal Basin.

20080402_livingston_pre-dusk.jpg
By Ian Livingston -- Pre-dusk at the Tidal Basin.

We jokingly wondered how we could convince people to stay off the path and stop interfering with our picture-taking. When the path was too crowded to snap a quick shot, we pondered ahead to what the summer would bring, hoping it would contain numerous opportunities for photographing lightning. As dusk came and passed, we were glad to have done our first photo shoot together -- it won't be the last.

20080402_livingston_dusk.jpg
By Ian Livingston -- Dusk at the Tidal Basin.

20080402_ambrose_dusk.jpg
By Kevin Ambrose -- Dusk at the Tidal Basin.

By Ian Livingston  | April 6, 2008; 12:00 PM ET
Categories:  Cherry Blossoms, Photography
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Rawness, For Real
Next: Forecast: Cloudy and Cool, Count on It

Comments

Ian, I really like the photos you took at dusk. Very nice!

BTW, we have received about .63" of rain from this latest system.

Posted by: David A. in Stafford | April 6, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Ian and Kevin,
Your photos are one of my favorite features of Capital Weather. Kudos to you both! I'm looking forward to future joint-shoots.

Posted by: dinergirl | April 6, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Ian and Kevin, Your photos are one of my favorite features of Capital Weather. Kudos to you both! I look forward to more joint-shoots.

Posted by: dinergirl | April 6, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

LET'S GO CAPS!!!

For you non-hockey types out there, what the Washington Capitals have done this season is the equivalent of a day beginning out 70 degrees and sunny and ending up a 2 foot snowstorm.

That is a good analagy for snow-lovers, anyways ;)

LETS GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: Ken | April 6, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Hey everyone. Ian and Kevin, awesome combined photo shoots. Wednesday was an awesome day and I was fortunate enough to have a day off to be at the Tidal Basin in D.C. all day from dawn until dusk. It was an awesome day photographically too and right during the peak bloom period for the cherry blossoms. It was an awesome day on Wednesday April 2nd, just totally amazing all around!!!

Kudos on your photography work Ian and Kevin, well done guys!!

-Jim

Posted by: Jim Schuyler | April 6, 2008 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Ian and Kevin--I'm so impressed by the results of your joint shoot.

Posted by: Susan in Chevy Chase DC | April 7, 2008 4:32 AM | Report abuse