The new Washington
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:00 AM ET, 05/14/2008

Forecast: Of Course It's Nice... It's Midweek

By Dan Stillman

More rain on the way for Thursday night and Friday

The conspiracy theorists would say forecasters hedge their predictions toward nicer weather so people will like them. Here on Wednesdays at CWG, there's no hedging necessary. Time and again, the midweek weather has been perfect as can be. And gosh darn it, I think people really like me for it. Just do me a favor and don't hate on my late-week and weekend brethren, ok?. It's not their fault the fair skies never seem to last.

TODAY

Mostly sunny early. Increasing clouds late. Upper 70s. Enjoy a second nice spring day in a row. Skies should be mostly sunny through early afternoon as highs reach the upper 70s on winds from the south near 10 mph. Then, skies cloud over during the late afternoon, followed by a mostly cloudy night with lows in the upper 50s to near 60 downtown, mid 50s in the burbs.

Confidence: Medium-High

TOMORROW

Partly to mostly cloudy. Maybe a passing shower. Mid 70s. A cold front arrives from the west -- and promptly stalls near the area. The result won't be too bad, at least for the time being, with partly to mostly cloudy skies, a chance of a passing shower, and highs in the mid 70s. Then, low pressure, moving in from the southwest along the front, is likely to bring more numerous showers to the region during the evening and overnight hours. Lows in the upper 50s.

Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend. Check back later this morning for Andrew Freedman's weekly column.

A LOOK AHEAD

Mostly cloudy Friday with more showers, though probably diminishing in coverage and intensity by afternoon. Highs in the 60s. Breezy Friday night with lows in the 50s. Confidence: Medium

We'll have to wait and see if showers from a low-pressure system passing well to our north make it south into the area on Saturday. Right now I'd call for a 30-40% chance of some scattered showers in the metro area. More likely, we're looking at a mostly dry and quite windy day with a mix of sun and clouds and highs in the upper 60s to low 70s. Confidence: Medium

The models don't have a good handle yet on whether and when some upper-level energy may generate clouds and possibly showers on Sunday. For now my best guess is partly to mostly cloudy skies with a 30-40% chance of seeing some showers in the area and highs in the upper 60s (but low 70s if we get some decent breaks in the clouds). Confidence: Low-Medium

By Dan Stillman  | May 14, 2008; 5:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: CommuteCast: Clear Skies a Welcome Break
Next: Bangladesh's Example for a Post-Nargis World

Comments

Love the headline, Dan! LOL

Posted by: ~sg | May 14, 2008 7:26 AM | Report abuse

44 degrees at 7:30.

Hopefully, a thorough soaking is on the way, since the system Sunday/Monday was an underperformer for my area.

The latest NAM would do it at nearly two inches.

Posted by: Augusta Jim | May 14, 2008 7:37 AM | Report abuse

I like the headline too, hehe. Sounds like a nice few days.

I love how we get all the precipitation AFTER winter ends. Ohhh the cruel irony. At least we need it, sort of.

Doesn't this always seem to happen though? We have a big drought, then we get all the rain at once and it's too much to handle and we go from one extreme to the other.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | May 14, 2008 7:40 AM | Report abuse

This page is one of the worst of my "favorites" regarding the time required for the page to load. Sometimes it does not load completely - so I get to see the ads and no content.

Washington Post needs to clean up the clutter and make their pages load more quickly, or I'll go elsewhere. My time is too valuable to waste.

Posted by: Wahoo Josh | May 14, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Quit bringing us rain, Augusta Jim. WE'RE WATERLOGGED and farmers around here can't even plant!!! Same goes for area gardeners.

Here around Ballston, we need the drought back.

Posted by: El Bombo | May 14, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

At least we could use a THOROUGHLY DRY weekend. We haven't had one of THOSE since the winter!!!

Posted by: El Bombo | May 14, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Looks like it might be a washout for the Joint Services Open House on Fri (DOD and schools) but not too bad on Sat & Sun(general public), Sun being the better day.
Too bad I'm going on Fri.

Posted by: Adam | May 14, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

The team is heading to Philadelphia tomorrow to compete in the Stotesbury Regatta, we know it's out of the area but can you give us any idea of the forecast for Philly and river levels on the Schuylkill River? Weather.com is forecasting a 70% chance of thunderstorms Friday with up to a quarter inch of rainfall, but you guys are usually much more accurate, at least for the local forecast.

Thanks.

Posted by: Bishop O'Connell Crew | May 14, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Bishop O'Connell Crew -- Sorry to say, it looks like a fairly rainy (and raw -- highs only in the upper 50s to near 60) Friday in Philly, though I don't think there will be that many thunderstorms around. Then turning windy late Friday and especially on Saturday. Good luck up there! ... back in my high school days I used to cox for Whitman crew.

Posted by: Dan, Capital Weather Gang | May 14, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Wahoo Josh,
If you're using a dialup connection, you can pretty much forget using WaPo. (That's not even considering the hassle of dealing with Verizon. When even my crappy dialup connection went out while I was on vacation, Verizon said they couldn't even look at fixing it until next Wednesday, despite the fact that I told them I would likely blog about it on WaPo.com.) On a broadband connection, network congestion may be limiting your actual throughput. To check the speed of your physical connection, go to SpeedTest. It's showing the speed of the Comcast connection I activated about half an hour ago as 12MB/sec., but it's taking lots longer than that to load this page. We'll see how it goes.
Verizon, can you hear me now?

Posted by: Steve, Capital Weather Gang | May 14, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Any idea of rain totals to expect in NoVa between now and the weekend? The kids have makeups of makeup games they need to get in and the fields are so waterlogged that I doubt it will take much rain at all to result in more rainouts. At this rate, we'll be playing soccer and baseball into JULY...

Posted by: JB in Fairfax | May 14, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

El Bombo:
If I had the power, I would give you at least 4 weeks of all sun, all the time!

But,one caveat, be careful what you wish for. It may be a long summer!

Posted by: Augusta Jim | May 14, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Correction, the units on the above comment should be bits, not bytes.

Posted by: Steve, Capital Weather Gang | May 14, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

JB in Fairfax:
The HPC says most of NoVA can expect .50-.75 through 8 am Sat.

The models are all over the place.

Posted by: Augusta Jim | May 14, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

How're things looking for the morning commute on Friday, Bike to Work Day?

Posted by: jbirch28 | May 14, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse