The new Washington
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:00 AM ET, 05/ 9/2008

Forecast: Rain Subsides Saturday into Sunday

By Camden Walker

*Damage, Flooding Reported After Storms*

WeatherCamWe'll begin & end the next three days with some rain. But enjoy the latter part of Saturday and early Sunday when sun chances outshine the rain chances. Let's just not talk about the washout that appears to greet us as we start a new work week.

TODAY

Radar: Latest D.C. area radar loop and light-
ning strikes (key) from Weather Underground. Click here to zoom. Refresh page to update.

AM rain; mostly cloudy PM. Mid 60s. Call it a rainy half day. The heaviest rainfall will occur early in the morning. It should then trail off by late morning with a mostly cloudy afternoon. Middle 60 degree temperatures are about the best we'll do with a cool northerly breeze.

Into the evening & overnight hours, clouds stick around for the most part. Almost all of us should float at or above the 50 degree mark for lows. Northerly breezes will continue, along with a 30% threat of showers.

Confidence: Medium-High

TOMORROW

Some sun? Maybe some light showers. Mid to upper 60s. Light breezes out of the northwest will actually start drying us out, but not before clouds probably hang on for the morning and possibly into early afternoon with a few showers around. Afternoon skies should gradually become more sunny. Highs will still be on the low side, in the mid to upper 60s.

Overnight, temperatures will dip down to 45-49 taking into account clearer skies than Friday night, which allow heat to escape from the surface back into the atmosphere. Expect light breezes out of the northwest.

Keep reading for the forecast through early next week. Miss the 80s? Too bad, ha! Oh and see my NatCast for tonight's game.

SUNDAY

Partly sunny then increasing clouds. Mid 60s. Skies should have a decent amount of sun for your enjoyment, for most of the day. But drat, rain chances return late Sunday. During the afternoon, clouds increase and there is a 50% chance of showers by dark. Highs don't get above the 64-67 degree mark since increasing clouds should quash our temperatures.

Overnight, look for lots of wet stuff. Rain and more rain. My confidence is pretty high we'll get a good dousing too (90% chance). Low temperatures will bottom out around the mid 50s.

A LOOK AHEAD

Rain gear time for Monday and along with a lot of steady rain comes cooler temperatures in the lower 60s. Maybe the rain starts to let up some in the afternoon. Confidence: Medium

On Tuesday, the rain is history. High pressure will once again bring us sunshine (note: high UV intensity!) and temperatures into glorious lower 70s. Confidence: Medium-High

By Camden Walker  | May 9, 2008; 5:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: CommuteCast: Flooding Rains Possible Overnight
Next: NatCast: Cloudy + Slight Shower Chance

Comments

There's a Tornado Warning for parts of the Northern Neck and Middle Peninsula (? I think I have that right) for a storm that is heading to the northeast. It looks like we're not out of the woods yet, though fortunately for me it's not going to come clsse to me.

Posted by: Murre | May 9, 2008 5:28 AM | Report abuse

That warning was for a Doppler indicated tornado. There's a fresh warning for a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado, for an area not too far east of Richmond.

When will it end?

Posted by: Murre | May 9, 2008 5:30 AM | Report abuse

Heard an absolutely HUGE blast of lightning last night. It went something like: BAM! Ka-THUD. Ka-THUD. (Must have been a falling tree.)

Great to see all of this rain. It's kind of nice to have an old-fashioned thunderstorm, though the tornadoes put a damper on the excitement.

Posted by: mcleaNed | May 9, 2008 6:47 AM | Report abuse

We received 3.6" of rain so far from this storm.

Posted by: David A. in Stafford | May 9, 2008 6:57 AM | Report abuse

Right after I layed down last night the weather radio went off and said "possible tornado developing near Triangle" and it was heading towards me. I said a few unfavorable things because I really wanted to go to sleep, waited till Doug Hill's radar showed the storm north and east into maryland, and konked out.

Last night was one of the scariest weather nights we've had in a long, long time. Hopefully it won't get THAT bad again for a while.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | May 9, 2008 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Weatherdude, me too. It was scary enough just following the unfolding weather events online.

Good thing I logged off last night without seeing the Tornado Warning for PG County. Though it wasn't for Montgomery County it was close enough (and the Chillum tornado touched down about 2.25 miles from us, with no Warning). I fell asleep pretty quickly, with earplugs, so I was unaware of the weather. My wife said it was raining heavily at 1:30, and the wind picked up.

Posted by: Murre | May 9, 2008 8:09 AM | Report abuse

3.4 inches here in the LoCo bootheel...looking at some of the Fredburg damage on tv may indicate straight line winds or microburst over tornado - but we'll see...NOT what I saw in Suffolk, thankfully. Regardless - that was the loudest that I have ever heard the rain come down ever...sounded like a firehose on my window last night. The only precip that has ever made a louder sound to me was the heavy sleet storm in Feb 07. That was a firehose with ice pellets; it echoed in my bedroom...

Posted by: Dulles ARC | May 9, 2008 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Only .89 inches in far NW Montgomery. I don't think that we ever had any heavy rain. It was more of a steady rainfall overnight.

Posted by: JT | May 9, 2008 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the reports. Keep them coming. Also, feel free to email us (use "ask the gang" link above) storm reports and/or pics.

Posted by: Jason, Capital Weather Gang | May 9, 2008 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Wow, what a night. We received just under 4" here in Mt Vernon, not to mention rushing the whole family down to the basement just after midnight because the area of strong rotation that hit Triangle was heading for Mt Vernon. In the end, though, we received a ton of rain but not much wind- and there seem to be fewer power outages in the area than a regular summer thunderstorm. How is that possible with such powerful storms coming through?

Posted by: Etta | May 9, 2008 8:25 AM | Report abuse

2.43" here since yesterday. Lots of very heavy rain last nite, but not that windy...

Posted by: steve takoma park md | May 9, 2008 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Reports of Braddock Rd here in LoCo under water and partially collapsed...that area is within a mile of me. I have Baby ARC today, so I may not be too adventurous to find the exact area. All roads surrounding my neighborhood were closed between 1 and 6 am - Gum Spring (VA 659), Braddock (VA 620) Rt. 50 and Loudoun County Pkwy (VA 606). What a deluge...and the 06z GFS has a very similar setup for us for heavy overnight rain again Sunday into Monday's rush hour. Lovely - for my garden. I was a big drought touter on this site all winter...our reservoirs are looking so much better...

Posted by: Dulles ARC | May 9, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

The power was out at Farragut West Metro (17th St exit) at 8:40 am this morning -- no escalators and couldn't use farecards. Upstairs, all the buildings seemed to have power -- go figger?

Posted by: Sammie | May 9, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

3.5 inches in Old Town Alexandria as of 7 am this morning.

Posted by: Merideth | May 9, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

1.03" for the storm here in Mont. County. Like JT reported, steady rain, nothing too heavy. Some lighting and thunder last night but nothing to be too excited about. Although hearing reports from our neighbors to the south that may have been a good thing!

Posted by: Mike @ Twinbrook | May 9, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

So much for the "much-needed" rain!!! It dragged around into the morning commute. Too much of a flood threat.

Honestly I don't think we want or need another "Myanmar" around here!!!

Speaking of Myanmar, the Sun (the British newspaper, not Charm City's!!!) per Drudge Report says the final death toll could reach or exceed 500,000, twice as high as the "Boxing Day" tsunami a few years back. Much of this toll could be from hunger and disease thanks to the military junta's refusal to permit relief workers and aid into the country from Thailand and neighboring regions. I wonder if Aung San Suu Kyi survived the mess in Rangoon (Yangon).

Posted by: El Bombo | May 9, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Strange that western Montgomery seems to have recevied far less rain than Loudoun, immediately to our west, and the eastern suburbs.

Posted by: JT | May 9, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JT | May 9, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

It has dropped from 60 at 7:30 to 55.4 at 11:00.

Posted by: JT | May 9, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Anyone know what the official rainfall tally for Reagan National is for the past 24 hours? Although it seems everyone's gotten at least 1.5", with some much highe, I'm betting the official amount is more like .7" at the semi-arid airport.

Posted by: Claude Rains | May 9, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Wonderful rain here in lovely Michigan Park, NE DC: 3.0 inches in my rain gauge at 10:00 am this morning. Precipitation over the past several months has begun to ease my dreaded anxiety about drought.

According to accuweather.com, DCA (it will always be Washington National) has had 3.21 inches of rain since yesterday morning. Keep it coming!

Posted by: Tom from Michigan Park | May 9, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Comparing our much needed rain and minor flooding to Myanmar is completely offensive.

Posted by: Southside FFX | May 9, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

It seems to be taking longer than expected to dry out this afternoon (in DC, at least).

Posted by: John | May 9, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse