The new Washington
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:00 AM ET, 05/ 4/2008

Forecast: Sunny Side Up

By Brian Jackson

By Brian Jackson, Guest Forecaster

It gets brighter and brighter today as a cold front that passed through the region overnight exits off the coast. Today's weather will start off gray, especially for the early risers, with a slight chance for a lingering shower near the bay, but it will clear out through the day. High pressure builds in on Monday so expect a very sunny start to the work week.

TODAY

Morning clouds, then sun. Low 70s. Last night's cold front leaves cloud cover and a slight (20%) chance for a shower in the early morning hours. These showers will come to an end before 10 a.m., followed by increasingly sunny skies, making for a very pleasant midday through evening. Temperatures will top out in the low to mid 70s with northwest winds at around 15 mph making it feel a little cooler.

Overnight, clear skies will mean a chill in the air and light northwest winds mean bring a jacket or sweater if you plan on being outside after dark. Overall, a pleasant evening with lows around 49 in the city but into the mid 40s in the suburbs.

Keep reading for the forecast into early next week and see NatCast for predicted conditions for this afternoon's game...

TOMORROW

Bright sunshine. Low 70s. Picture perfect springtime weather greets you on your way out the door on Monday. Bright sunshine will be the rule of the day so pack your sunglasses on the way to work. Afternoon highs will reach the low 70s.

Clear skies Monday night once again though not as cool. Lows will be dropping to the lower 50s.

A LOOK AHEAD

Tuesday will be similar to Monday. We'll see more sun and seasonably mild temperatures. Highs reach the mid-70s. Confidence: Medium-High

By Wednesday, clouds begin to show up again competing with the sun. I'll mention a slight (<30%) chance for a late shower, but most will remain warm and dry under partly sunny skies, highs in the upper 70s. Confidence: Medium-High

Brian Jackson earned his Master's degree in meteorology from Florida State University in August of 2007. He now works at the National Ice Center in Suitland, MD as a snow and sea ice analyst.

By Brian Jackson  | May 4, 2008; 5:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NatCast: Refreshing Sunshine
Next: Forecast: Sunny Day Trifecta

Comments

Let me ask about wind. NWS forecasts it to diminish overnight tonight and remain calm thereafter, shifting from E to W and being Southwesterly on Tuesday. Does CWG concur? I plan to move my boat from Indian Head back up the Potomac on Tuesday morning. I feel like I've lost my wind forecasting abilities over the winter - I was surprised yesterday when the wind kicked up so high so fast. It made for some interesting challenges resetting the mast.

Posted by: ~sg | May 4, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

~sg: Sounds about right to me with high pressure building in.

Isn't it nice out?

Posted by: Jason, Capital Weather Gang | May 4, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Jason! Yes, it's beautiful out, and yesterday was too - I'm glad I was out all day.

Posted by: ~sg | May 4, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

"it made for some interesting challenges resetting the mast" I would have held onto my (m)asst.

Posted by: Mo | May 4, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Going fishing on the Potomac Mon, so I'm hoping the winds r calm. Even in a 21' bass boat, it's no fun running the river in white caps.

Posted by: VaTechBob. | May 4, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

This day should have gotten a "Nice Day!" stamp.

Posted by: Peter [Bethesda] | May 4, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

How 'bout them Nationals? At 8-2 in their most recent games, they're tied for the best current 10-game performance in the MLB. At this rate, they'll be over .500 before school gets out.

Posted by: mcleaNed | May 4, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Peter -- You're absolutely right. Today's weather exceeded expectations!

Posted by: Jason, Capital Weather Gang | May 4, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

I am a Cardinals fan and have not been to DC since 2006 when you all were in the old stadium but I must say from what I can tell you all have a beautiful stadium and wonderful home for the Nationals!
www.mtwc.blogspot.com

Posted by: Clay at MTWC in Nashville | May 4, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Mo: LOL! We did, we did! :-D

Posted by: ~sg | May 4, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

What happened to the Monday morning post? It's almost 9 am and I don't see it.

Posted by: Murre | May 5, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Accotink/W.Springfield/MixingBowl Weekend storm total = 0.00"

poough.

Posted by: Bikerjohn | May 5, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Murre: It's there. Be sure to go back to the main page and try reloading your browser.

Posted by: Capital Weather Gang | May 5, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse