The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 10:30 AM ET, 05/ 9/2008

Region Battered by Heavy Rains, Wind, Tornado?

By Jamie Jones

*Damage, Flooding Reported After Storms*

Trees down. Lights and power off. Numerous reports of flooding, wind damage and road closures. Over 2.5 inches at Reagan National Airport since last night. Oh, and there's that issue of a possible tornado in Stafford County. Just your average night in the D.C. metro area, right?

Powerful storms that came through the region last night touched off high winds, hail and heavy rains, with rainfall rates exceeding an inch an hour at times. (Reagan National recorded just shy of an inch of rainfall between 1-2 a.m).

Radar-estimated rainfall indicates the rain jackpot stretching from southwest to northeast from Stafford to Prince George's counties. Overnight storm totals were over 3 inches in some locations.

What storm stories do you have? Also, don't forget to see our full forecast into early next week, and NatCast for tonight's game at Nationals Park.

By Jamie Jones  | May 9, 2008; 10:30 AM ET
Categories:  Recaps, Reports, Thunderstorms
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NatCast: Cloudy + Slight Shower Chance
Next: CommuteCast: Rain Temporarily Pauses

Comments

I had three inches of rain in the rain gauge when I left my house in North Springfield at 0730.

Posted by: Steve | May 9, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Four inches in the rain gauge as of 1:30 PM, Capitol Hill.

Posted by: vinkadog | May 9, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Any more signs that tomorrow might turned out to be a nice day?

Posted by: Laura | May 9, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Laura -- Not looking so great. Ian will have the latest in CommuteCast, in about a half-hour from now.

Posted by: Capital Weather Gang | May 9, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I heard the scariest phrase ever today.

"There were tornadoes last night?"

AH!! Okay, so I understand that I'm one of the few people my age that stay up-to-date on the weather and news as much as I do, but how the HECK could you not know what was going on last night?

I just know that last night was one of the scariest weather events I've ever been through, and that's scary. I almost passed out when I saw the hook echo on that storm in Stafford on a direct path for Lake Ridge.

It's just a really good thing that nobody was hurt last night, from what I've read. Whew.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | May 9, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Bummer...looks like it will be a nasty mothers day weekend weather wise.

Posted by: Nicole | May 9, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

while i did know about the severity of the weather last night...I pretty much slept through it all I guess it didnt get super bad in vienna or maybe im a really heavy sleeper, probably not a good thing.

Posted by: asimo | May 9, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse