The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 12:35 PM ET, 05/27/2008

How Many 90 Degree Days This Summer?

By Jason Samenow

In recent decades, Reagan National Airport has averaged about 31 90+ degree days during June, July, and August. That's about one every three days. Dulles and BWI Airports have averaged 24 and 25 such days, respectively.

Before our summer outlook comes out tomorrow, let us know how many 90+ degree days you think there will be this summer (June-July-August, combined) at Reagan National. Vote in the poll below, and if you dare, enter a comment as well with your specific guess (e.g. 31). We'll rank the guesses that come in from best to worst in early September...

By Jason Samenow  | May 27, 2008; 12:35 PM ET
Categories:  Local Climate
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: More on NOAA's Summer Outlook
Next: CommuteCast: Showers and Some Thunder

Comments

I just have a hunch it's going to be a scorcher - I'd say 37 days over 90.

Posted by: md | May 27, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

It's not the heat, it's the humidity!

Posted by: Uncle Dak | May 27, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

29. just a guess

Posted by: Peter L | May 27, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

After consulting the latest models, my weather spidey-sense, and the flying spaghetti monster, I have made my guesstimate:

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | May 27, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Category: 30-34.

I'll go out on a limb and say 30.

I'll doubtless forget what my vote was come September.

Posted by: Murre | May 27, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

BOOK IT

Posted by: Jake in Reston | May 27, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

How come September doesn't count? After living around here for 40+ years, the hottest days are often after Labor Day and up until mid-September. There have been many Redskins regular season games played in over 90 degree temps.

BTW, my pick is 38 days.

Posted by: DCThunder | May 27, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

42 days. I agree with DCThunder that September should be included.

Posted by: midanae | May 27, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I vote 35-39, slightly above average. This summer is likely to be a La Nina summer.

Posted by: El Bombo | May 27, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

36 is my guess.

I think the CapWx Gang should vote too.

Posted by: Model Monkey | May 27, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

i'm going to say 27. that's more of a hope than an educated guess (the less days, the better).

and, yes, September can be scorching. Heck, my birthday's October 5 and i've spent many in tank tops and shorts.

Posted by: dinergirl | May 27, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Maybe September should be offered as a tie breaker. ;)

Posted by: Ian, Capital Weather Gang | May 27, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Remember when it was just called "National Airport"? Seems to me that Reagan is more popular around the rest of the country that here in the D.C. area ... can't we locals at least just call it National Airport? (that's just a wish, not a question requiring an answer.......)

Farmer's Home Almanac says summer will be "rainier and slightly warmer than normal, on average." I'm going with 34.

Posted by: ChickenLady | May 27, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

38 days

Posted by: Peter | May 27, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ~sg | May 27, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

31. Totally random choice (randomness amended only by criterion that no one else picked it; would've said 32 but it's taken). I once won a football pool with totally random choices, so Random is my new god. BTW, El B. will have to pick a precise number if he wants a shot at winning this pool.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | May 28, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse