The new Washington
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 7:54 PM ET, 06/ 4/2008

Alert: Another Round of Severe Storms

By Jamie Jones

*Tornado Watch remains in effect until 1 a.m.*

Another line of severe thunderstorms is approaching the metro area from the west. Tornado Warnings are in effect for the southern portion of these storms, including Prince William and Stafford counties in Virginia, and parts of Prince Georges, Charles and St Mary's counties in Maryland until 8:15 p.m. A tornado has been confirmed on the ground just north of Fredericksburg (Interstate 95 and Route 17), individuals to the east should take cover. To the north, severe thunderstorm warnings are in effect for the entire metro area. These storms could produce small hail and wind gusts to 60 mph. These storms should move through in the next hour.

See our full forecast into next week, and our previous post detailing storm damage and experiences from this afternoon's severe weather outbreak.

By Jamie Jones  | June 4, 2008; 7:54 PM ET
Categories:  Alerts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Storms Continue to Batter Area
Next: Update: Not Out of the Woods Yet

Comments

Looks like there's a third one heading our way from Ohio. Is that one going to peter out overnight, or will it be hitting in the early morning?

Posted by: seahawkdad | June 4, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse

rain here in west end alexandria, no thunder.

Very mild storm compared to the heartstopper earlier

Posted by: pvogel88 | June 4, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Gang. As an inveterate weather watcher and widow living alone, I'm grateful for this site and its superb forecasting and coverage.

Posted by: jhbyer | June 4, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

So Cap Weather! What is your take on a possible 3rd line of storms? (see storms entering W. VA)

Posted by: line 3? | June 4, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Weather radio has gone of 30 times since Midnight last night. At least we know it works ;).

Thank god for this weather radio, because one of the lightning strikes screwed our cable up earlier, and now we can't get any channels above 15. For the Emergency Alert System, we have to tune into channel 21. No help there. And weatherbug has a 10 minute delay from warning issuance to the annoying "tweet tweet tweet."

I still maintain that getting this weather radio for my birthday last year was the best gift I've ever gotten. Ever.

And you guys are doing a pretty great job at covering the severe weather. :)

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | June 4, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Posting from blackberry in bethesda, power has been out since the crazy storm at three.

Posted by: sam | June 4, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

I was walking home from school and right when I was t aaking the mail out of the mailbox it was really windy andf I started cursing and ran inside. A second later the rain came. In bethesda still some thunder and lightning. Power has been out since 3 and I am doin this on my blackberry

Posted by: sam | June 4, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

any big hail reports

Posted by: billy | June 4, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

It took an hour and 40 mins to drive from Pentagon City to Merrifield along route 50 in VA. Hardly any one had power along the way; most streetlights were out, and I was surprised to have electricity when I got home. There was a huge old tree down at 7 Corners - looked like a lightening strike busted the trunk in half. Luckily it didn't hit the house it used to shade.

So....line 3 coming, lemme grab the chocolate. Has anyone heard from tinkerbelle?

Posted by: ~sg | June 4, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Four separate rounds in upper NW today. This makes up (somewhat) for all those Miller Bs that redevelop too far up the coast to give DC any snow.

Posted by: catatonia | June 4, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

I watched this third line come through in Sterling... much more lightning than the storms around 3, although much less wind. I am also curious about the storms in Ohio, which I suspect will fizzle out overnight as they get closer.

CWG, do you think the thunderstorm complex that came through the area between 3 and 4:30 counts as a progressive derecho? It was a bow echo, and it did travel a respectable distance. It was also fast-moving.

Posted by: Model Monkey | June 4, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

A shout out to ~sg: everyone and everything okay in Harpers Ferry, thank God. We lost power for a few hours so I had No Choice but to eat all the ice cream novelties in the freezer...

I'm also worried about those Ohio Valley storms. ABC7 thinks they're definitely coming... by midnight. Just when we thought we might get a little sleep.

I'd like to do an echoMurre here and say: "Please make it stop!."

Posted by: tinkerbelle | June 4, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Glad to hear you and yours are okay, tinkerbelle. Add my voice as another echo in the call to make it stop.

Sure would like to hear from more of the regulars here, and everyone who's grateful to be safe tonight....

Posted by: ~sg | June 4, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

I must say that this latest round did make for an absurdly entertaining first 15 mins of the DC United match. Players falling over in huge splashes left and right, passes that would go two feet and stop dead in the water long before they would reach the intended player, and the fans standing and singing through it all. Too bad it's on rain delay now, though.

Posted by: iammrben | June 4, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Alert for any commuters from Loudoun into Tysons, avoid Rt 7 until you hear that the signals are back on. Many, many signals are dark between the Toll Road and Sterling on Rt. 7.

Posted by: Ashburn | June 4, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

"A derecho is a widespread and long-lived, violent convectively induced windstorm that is associated with a fast-moving band of severe thunderstorms usually taking the form of a bow echo." (From Wikipedia)

I think what we had today can be called a derecho. That's what I've been calling it.

Looks like the storms in OH and WV may hold together, seeing that the SPC extended the tornado watch til 1 AM. I'm thinking about building a concrete bunker, putting earplugs in, and sleeping through the night. Now, all I have to do is figure out how to build a concrete bunker in an hour. ;)

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | June 4, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Hi Tinkerbelle, I'm glad you made it through ok (so far). I ate some chocolate in your honor when I arrived home.

Posted by: Murre | June 4, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Forget the bunker, have some drinks, a lot of drinks, and pass out in the bathtub or in your basement in case another storm comes by overnight :)....kidding, just kidding.

Posted by: Ashburn | June 4, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Question for the Gang:

Just now the Intellicast radar summary is showing a cloud top of 70,000 feet. How often does this occur? Is the radar summary accurate? I don't recall seeing a cloud top that high in this region.

I just refreshed the page and the summary has been updated. But my wife can also testify that it said 700 (and so 70,000 feet).

Posted by: Murre | June 4, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

That would certainly be an extremely tall cumulonimbus cloud.

What a crazy night. PG County had at least 3-4 separate severe thunderstorm warnings, and 2-3 tornado warnings.

Posted by: jtf | June 4, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and glad to have electricity. :)

Posted by: jtf | June 4, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Weatherdude, I'll help you build your bunker. Unfortunately in this weather it will take at least an hour to get down to your neck of the woods. Thankfully your radio is working even if your cable isn't.

~sg: Howdy. I'm grateful to be safe tonight, and happy that this time (so far) we haven't lost power.

I am hoping this third major band of storms, currently entering West Virginia, dissipates before reaching Virginia. We have had a wild, wild afternoon, surely worse than the "Stormy Wednesday" of June 1989.

Posted by: Murre | June 4, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Before sunset around 7:30 I was in Olney and I saw an awesome thunderhead going up and spreading out. Nice!

Posted by: Kenny L. | June 4, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Leesburg Report - 9:37pm

Still without power and only 50 minutes left on my computer battery. The sound of chainsaws and fresh smell of pine was in the air just as recently as 40 minutes ago.

Posted by: Greg | June 4, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

This is from the LWX discussion...written by LWX funnyman Woody. I wish that they would inject more "personalized" talk into the discussions like Woody! does. Certainly would make it more exciting and upbeat than tornadoes and 97° Saturday.

I`LL BE HONEST...I`VE SPENT ABT 2 MINUTES LOOKING AT MDL DATA
SINCE ARRIVING AT 2 PM. BEEN HERE 14 YRS..THIS IS PRBLY IN MY TOP
FIVE STORMS. MULTIPLE INDIVIDUALS HV DONE TREMENDOUS WORK. MUCH
THX TO ALL THE SPOTTERS WHO HV PROVIDED SUCH A VALUABLE SVC.

TORNADO WATCH UNTIL 1 AM FOR DC METRO AND SOUTH.

I`VE ADDED CHC POP FOR TSTMS FOR THE ENTIRE NGT BASED ON THE NEXT
COMPLEX MOVG INTO WRN W.V. WRF SIM REF DEPICTS MORE RW/TRW AFTR
MDNGT. BTWN AMT ATMOSPHERE HAS BEEN WORKED OVR AND LOSS OF HTG I
HV TO THINK ANOTHER ROUND WOULD BE SUB SVR...BUT THIS HAS NOT BEEN
AN ORDINARY DAY NOW..HAS IT?

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | June 4, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for checking in, Murre! I can't help but worry about everyone we haven't heard from.

Posted by: ~sg | June 4, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Ashburn, since you mentioned it, maybe you can explain: WHY do people get in the bathtub when tornadoes are coming? What's to stop things falling on top of them? Crawling under a good sturdy bed maybe makes sense. Or maybe not.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | June 4, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Montgomery County Schools are closed tomorrow.

Posted by: Chase, Luray | June 4, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Montgomery County Schools are closed tomorrow.

Posted by: Chase, Luray | June 4, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

No, it has not been an ordinary day!

I'm really hoping that Saturday is not 97! My airconditioning system may not last a normal summer. This weekend might kill it, even if I set the temperature at 85 degrees instead of the usual 78.

Posted by: Murre | June 4, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

finally stopped raining in Logan Circle - anyone still seeing thunder, rain east of DC?

Posted by: Camden, Capital Weather Gang | June 4, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

In Bowie, storms haven't been too bad. Dogs have been agitated, but

However, power is always a bit iffy around here (Go BGE and backyard power lines). On my street, for the first two blocks, only four of us have it. After that, a hill drops off and I don't want to walk down the hill to check. I suspect at least 1/2 of them are out too. Usually I'm one of the ones who's out. This time I'm grateful.

Also grateful not to have seen or been in any of the major problems. I've always been lucky; glad to continue that. My sister has been in close proximity to two tornadoes that I just missed: an F0 in Kensington in 1990 (I was at outdoor education that week), and the College Park tornado (I was off campus on Mondays that semester).

Posted by: kate | June 4, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Good night everyone! Have a safe, pleasant night and a nice tranquil tomorrow.

Posted by: Murre | June 4, 2008 10:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to play it safe and shut off the computer overnight - I don't trust that potential 3rd line of storms trying to form up. MOF, I only trust the chocolate...

Posted by: ~sg | June 4, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Ashburn, hope you don't mind if I throw in two cents on Tinkerbelle's question.

If you don't have a basement or storm cellar, or a small, windowless interior room on the lowest floor to take cover in, common advice is to get in a bathtub and pull a mattress over the top. The mattress should provide some degree of protection against debris (like from the glass window that's typically over a bathtub), but is fairly easy to push off of you when it's over.

A bathtub is usually the strongest, most seamless item (less likely to break apart) in a household that can enclose a person or persons. A bed is subject to the same principles that make motorhomes and cars so vulnerable in tornadoes - they easily become airborne in high winds leaving you with zero protection and possibly resulting in a wild ride. It's actually better to be hugging the ground completely unprotected than in a vehicle when a tornado comes through (assuming you couldn't find non-mobile shelter nearby).

If you're under a bed, you also run the risk of being trapped under or by furniture should your bedroom get the snowglobe treatment. Plus, there's generally nothing to protect you from debris coming at you from the sides under the bed.

Posted by: Okie | June 4, 2008 10:49 PM | Report abuse

You nailed it Okie...I don't have a basement to go into during a bad storm. I do have a hockey helmet :D

Posted by: Ashburn | June 4, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse