The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 4:30 PM ET, 06/22/2008

Alert: Severe Thunderstorm Watch Issued

By Jason Samenow

4:30 p.m. update: Lines of storms have developed to the west and southwest. These may affect the metro area, especially after about 5:30 p.m.

The Storm Prediction Center (SPC) has issued a Severe Thunderstorm Watch for the metro area until 8:00 p.m. tonight. According to SPC:

HAIL TO 2 INCHES IN DIAMETER...THUNDERSTORM WIND GUSTS TO 70 MPH...AND DANGEROUS LIGHTNING ARE POSSIBLE IN THESE AREAS.

Storms are most likely between 3 and 7 p.m. from southwest to northeast. We will post additional updates if/when storms develop. Also, see our full forecast for tomorrow into midweek.

By Jason Samenow  | June 22, 2008; 4:30 PM ET
Categories:  Alerts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Photography: Saturday's Severe Storm
Next: Update: Strong Storms Affecting Metro Area

Comments

Here in Annandale, as everywhere, it's only day 2 of summer, and already I'm maxed out on thunderstorms. My lifelong love of severe weather is being severely tested.

Posted by: jhbyer | June 22, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

New discussion on severe threat from the Storm Prediction Center.

Posted by: Ian, Capital Weather Gang | June 22, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Still relatively quiet here near Baileys Crossroads. No waves of all-day rain as previously predicted by some, more like normal summer heat & humidity. Radar shows some action to our W & SW.

Posted by: El Bombo | June 22, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I think the classic DC hole is already developing. And get ready for it - WE NEED THE RAIN!

Posted by: Southside FFX | June 22, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the hole thing - or more of slot at least on the radar - storms to the north, storms to the south. However, I won't complain - sometimes these storms don't want to be messed with !

Posted by: MDScot | June 22, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Okay CWG, I have 2 questions for you.

1 - WHY...on earth...does the "DC split" develop? Sometimes when I want a good storm they just don't develop. HUMPH. (I'm in a thunderstorm mood today, can ya tell?)

2 - Why is it that most of the thunderstorms that develop in this area almost immediately become severe? We usually don't get a nice thunderstorm anymore, it's always rotating or spewing ice cubes at 90 MPH at us.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | June 22, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Nothing going on here in Silver Spring. Robins are singing, that's about it.

Posted by: Murre | June 22, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Hello everyone, just got back from a trip to the bay. No thunderstorms at all from Friday to today... although I did see a huge thundercloud in the distance on Saturday evening. Looked just like the 1st picture in the previous post. Apparently I missed out. Light rain here in Sterling.

weatherdudeVA- The "DC split" seems to happen with snow storms too. :-(

Posted by: Model Monkey | June 22, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

The storm is going through Upper Marlboro right now, no hail or anything, not too much rain, plenty of lightning though... surprised the power hasnt gone out yet... I'm sure it will though, Pepco and all.

Posted by: Upper Marlboro | June 22, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

We have vivid lightning and wind-whipped rain. Our sliding glass door is soaked, and that has never ever happened before. Yikes! The trees are rustling around pretty good and I thought I saw a little bit of very small hail earlier.

Strike out what I said about Lake Ridge not getting any storms today... but my anger at the DC split still stands though. All the hot air blowing out of Washington must keep the storms away...yeah, that's it! ;)

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | June 22, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

***PEA SIZED HAIL IN LAKE RIDGE...PEA SIZED HAIL IN LAKE RIDGE***

lmao, sorry, I just felt like typing that in all caps. I tried to get a video of it, I doubt it came out though.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | June 22, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

I thought I was going to be a victim of the split and I was just going to go water. HOwever, we just got a rather large downpour with lightning.

Posted by: Sara in Oakton | June 22, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

In Springfield - Steady rain, heavy at times, for the past hour or so, lightning and thunder moved directly over the area but is heading away at the moment.

Posted by: Mark | June 22, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

This looks like a bust!

Posted by: tstorm | June 22, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Any of you guys notice that that cluster over Prince William and Southern, Fairafx Counties wiggled around on the radar and then developed a large, bow in the middle? That indicates very strong straight-line winds. It went just south of me in Vienna, and had some wicked lightning.

Posted by: Mike | June 22, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Making up for the DC Donut--a little cell is chugging up 1-95 all by itself, looks like it's heading straight for downtown!

Posted by: Max | June 22, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse