The new Washington
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:15 PM ET, 06/19/2008

CommuteCast: Scattered Storminess Possible

By Ian Livingston

Near-average warmth on Friday

Radar: Latest D.C. area radar loop and light-
ning strikes (key) from Weather Underground. Click here to zoom. Refresh page to update.

Cooler than average weather continues today as temperatures now reach the mid and upper 70s across the area. Clouds that have been floating by throughout the day will continue to do so through sunset. In addition to clouds, scattered showers or thunderstorms are possible for the remainder of the afternoon and into the evening, especially in the southern parts of the area. As with yesterday, any storms that pop up could be capable of brief strong winds and/or small hail.

Tonight: Any evening showers or thunderstorms will give way to clearing skies overnight. Low temperatures will fall to the upper 50s in the suburbs and the low 60s in the city.

Tomorrow: We close out the work week on a warmer note Friday. Fewer clouds than recent days combined with a warming west wind will allow temperatures to rise into the low and mid 80s across the area, or fairly close to seasonal norms. Isolated afternoon showers and thunderstorms cannot be ruled out, though most activity should be north of the area.

How's the weekend looking in the metro area? See Josh's full forecast for answers, or check BeachCast if headed to the shore.

By Ian Livingston  | June 19, 2008; 3:15 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Having Some Fun With Flood
Next: Photography: Tidal Basin Storm Clouds

Comments

Oh wow, I just got scared stiff...

I took a shower a little while ago, and I wasn't in there for even 10 minutes. I go in the bathroom and the sun is peaking through the clouds, I come out of the bathroom and I'm greeted with the biggest crack of thunder I've ever heard. I jumped a mile and screamed a little louder than the thunder. That was totally unexpected.

But the good news is that we're getting storms that aren't severe and aren't rotating! WOOHOO!

Bad for the chocolate selling business though ;)

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | June 19, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: climo | June 19, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

@weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge): Hey, if the storm can make you jump and scream, it's worthy of chocolate!

Posted by: ~sg | June 19, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Really, ~sg and Weatherdude. I'll eat some chocolate for you.

Posted by: Murre | June 19, 2008 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Where's tinkerbelle? She's usually good for a few chocolates.

Posted by: ~sg | June 19, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse