The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:15 PM ET, 06/27/2008

CommuteCast: Isolated Storms Possible

By Ian Livingston

Hot, humid, more storm chances on Saturday

*Severe Thunderstorm Watch until 8 p.m.*

5:15 PM Update: Strong storms currently in Montgomery and Loudoun counties will push southeastward into parts of Fairfax County, the District and Prince George's County in the next hour. Gusty winds and heavy rains will likely accompany these storms. The storms should be out of the metro area by 7 p.m.

Tonight: After a slight risk of early evening storminess, skies go mostly clear overnight. In urban centers or where it has not or does not rain, temperatures are likely to remain in the 80s through 10 p.m. or midnight. Lows will fall between the low and mid 70s. Needless to say, it will remain muggy.

Tomorrow: If you liked the temperatures of yesterday and today you will probably enjoy Saturday. Expect more of the same as highs rise into the low and mid 90s across the area. There will also be another risk of storms (it is still June 2008 after all!) during the late afternoon into the evening and overnight, though most should stay to the west.

Check NatCast for tonight's game at Nationals Park. And how's the rest of the weekend looking? See Camden's full forecast into early next week to find out! Keep reading for previous updates.

PREVIOUS UPDATES

3:15 PM: Temperatures that topped out in the low and mid 90s provided extra fuel for widely scattered strong to severe thunderstorms that passed through portions of the area early this afternoon. Most of the activity is now done, but some additional storms are possible, especially in the northern parts of the area over the next few hours. The good news is that any remaining storminess should depart by early evening.

By Ian Livingston  | June 27, 2008; 5:15 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Alert: Severe Thunderstorm Watch Until 8 P.M.
Next: NatCast: Very Warm; Early-Inning Storm?

Comments

Strong line of storms about to enter NW Montgomery from southwest Frederick County. Line is moving northwest to southeast. Rain is just starting and the wind is picking up.

Posted by: JT | June 27, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Very heavy rain and gusty wind in western Gaithersburg - hard to belive this doesn't get a Tstorm warning!

Posted by: MDScot | June 27, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

What effect do you think this will have on the Nationals game?

Posted by: mcleaNed | June 27, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

It doesn't look like that this line can possibly miss the stadium but at the rate it is moving it should be across the river well before game time. My two cents.

Posted by: JT | June 27, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

It's truckin' through Takoma right now - haven't seen any lightning yet, but some impressive clouds and heavy rain! I got home just in time...

Posted by: hh | June 27, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Crazy fast-moving dark clouds moving southward over the district right now. Rain just started, but no lightning yet that I can see from my south-facing window. Scud clouds (did I get that right?) are so low I feel like I could touch them from my window.

Posted by: Laura in NWDC | June 27, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

I don't think it has started to rain just yet at the ballpark, but Nationals Park is certainly going to get some rain out of this. Hopefully, the tarp crews are ready.

Posted by: mcleaNed | June 27, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Holy smokes, I was completely unaware of the severe weather until I got home 20 minutes ago. Sheesh! I knew there was a slight risk, but when I left this morning, the risk area was still north of DC. Looks like the storms are gonna completely miss us and go north. Darn.

I went and saw Wall-E today. For a "kid's movie," it was actually pretty good (is that valid coming from an almost 17 year old? HA!). There was an underlying theme in it for the adults to pick up on. I won't talk about it, just remember what I just said if you go and see the movie. If you're on this site you'll probably pick it out immediately ;)

Talking about current weather again...it looks like an outflow boundary went north through this area a little while ago. That might spark off more storms. I know that there are towering, black clouds building off to the east and off to the west.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | June 27, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

The storms should be out before game time, maybe a slight delay to remove tarp. Quick burst of heavy rain in upper NW, a little wind, no lightning/thunder.

Posted by: Ian, Capital Weather Gang | June 27, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Tail end of the storm just passed through here awhile ago. It's down toward Clinton and Upper Marlboro at this time per Ch. 9 radar. There's also a small but very intense cell west of Woodbridge.

Posted by: El Bombo | June 27, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Clear in Leesburg at 7:25pm

Posted by: greg | June 27, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like somebody just unizpped the sky here in Lake Ridge (7:30 p.m.)...

Posted by: meta | June 27, 2008 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody that's still awake think that batch of storms in KY/WV will make it here overnight?

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (LAe RIdge) | June 27, 2008 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Weatherdude: I doubt it. The roads in rural West Virginia aren't paved very well, and there's stil a lot of backup on the beltway.

Posted by: mcleaNed | June 28, 2008 12:17 AM | Report abuse