The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:00 AM ET, 06/ 6/2008

Forecast: Hot and Hotter...

By Camden Walker

Flirting with record high temps this weekend

*Excessive Heat Watch Saturday morning through Monday afternoon*

WeatherCamTRIPLE DIGITS this weekend?! Not being alarmist but personally I am surprised at how early the threat for isolated 100-degree readings is invading our region. Most folks on Saturday and Sunday will stay in the upper 90s... but details don't matter really. It will be record-challenging hot this weekend.

TODAY

Becoming sunny. Humid. Upper 80s. Light southwesterly breezes and sunshine (after morning clouds dissipate) will start ushering in that toasty feeling. Perhaps our last bearable day for quite some time, today will likely stay below 90 in most areas; however, don't be surprised if your body feels as if the temperature is into the middle 90s. The dewpoint and thus the mugginess will be high. Drink plenty of water. And keep water nearby for the upcoming many, many days.

Skies will be fair overnight. No rain expected. Low temperatures won't go very low but nothing unheard of--yet. How does lower 70s sound? You all outside the Beltway make me jealous... you could dip into the middle 60s. Lucky!

Confidence: High

Keep reading to see how oppressively hot it is going to get. Also, check out the NatCast for game conditions tonight.

TOMORROW

Mostly sunny and humid. Upper 90s. Those running the Race for the Cure during the 8 a.m. hour should be well hydrated as temperatures will already be into the 80s. Temperatures climb much higher thereafter. Our record high today and tomorrow is 98 degrees. We'll have to see how much sun and how much of a southerly, muggy breeze we get during the day. But it will be HOT: 10 degrees hotter than yesterday so dress very lightly. Stay in the shade. Your body will sense the temperature as "feeling" more like 100.

After dinnertime, skies will stay partially clear. Temperatures will only fall slowly. By dawn, downtown D.C. could be around 73-75 degrees. Winds from the southwest will be light, but the flow from that direction is the sinister culprit behind our heat wave.

SUNDAY

Stifling hot. Upper 90s. Not to split hairs, but those who are lucky will only hit 95 (near Baltimore) and surpass 100 (near Richmond). Any way you slice it: UNPLEASANT. The metro area will sweat it out certainly, in the upper 90s. Heat indices will reach the low 100s.

Overnight, partly cloudy. If we're lucky, we may hit 74 degrees. It is not until you get outside the Beltway, that temperatures could dip below 70. Ooof. There go the power bills for A/C...

A LOOK AHEAD

Still plain hot into Monday with sunny conditions. High temperatures near 94-97. Confidence: Medium-High

On Tuesday, we officially play the broken record of 90s. Look for sunny, hot conditions in the 93-96 range. Confidence: Medium

By Camden Walker  | June 6, 2008; 5:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Natcast: On the Muggy Side
Next: Heat and Power Outages: A Deadly Combination

Comments

Make it stop! No heat! Bring back the nice afternoon temperatures of 85.

Posted by: Murre | June 6, 2008 5:48 AM | Report abuse

Can I have SEVENTY-five?? over 90 is extremely unenjoyable... i can agree with your sentiment Murre... :P :)

Posted by: Camden, Capital Weather Gang | June 6, 2008 6:34 AM | Report abuse

Come sunday, my plants which were basically swimming away from my garden earlier this week will be begging for any sort of rain. Can't this area just get back to the those nice, moderate days? Why does it have to be either a storm/flood of the century or record heat?

Posted by: Jamie Jones, Capital Weather Gang | June 6, 2008 7:11 AM | Report abuse

EXCESSIVE HEAT WATCH from Saturday Morning through Monady Afternoon for most of the area...

I miss the days of it only hitting 39. :(

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | June 6, 2008 7:37 AM | Report abuse

Ugh, the "Sahara Desert" icons on the NWS page for Saturday and Sunday are scary.

Which is going to be the more humid of the two days?

Posted by: Model Monkey | June 6, 2008 7:56 AM | Report abuse

And it's been a crappy year for my sailing too - either too stormy or too hot to even think about going out on the water. On these hot days, we call sailing "shake and bake", cuz you just sort of wallow in the tides and fry in the sun.

Posted by: ~sg | June 6, 2008 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Mr Camden, can I please have my power back :(

Posted by: Mike from the Blue Ridge | June 6, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Turned on the ole A/C last night. Was hoping to make it through the weekend w/o it. My annual goal is to not turn on the air conditioning until after June 10.
Ahh, life and its small challenges.

Posted by: mart | June 6, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

All depends on your viewpoint. For me, in the minority of winter haters, and also heading to the beach this weekend, I say - BRING IT ON!!! WHOO HOO!!!

To each their own :).

Posted by: Southside FFX | June 6, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Yeah this is horrible weather. Its not often that Miami, FL is 10 degrees cooler than the DC region, but this is just such a time period. Miami's humid upper 80s with a nice sea breeze sound positively delightful at this point!

And a question to all those people who say global warming is good because it lowers heating bills.. how about the higher electric bills in the summer?? (Yes, I know no particular heat wave can be attributed to climate change.. but the increasing frequency of such events over a period of time in my mind can).

For those of you tired of heat, check out this forecast for Mt. Ranier in Washington: http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?site=SEW&llon=-122.813747&rlon=-120.963747&tlat=48.002084&blat=46.152084&smap=1&mp=0&map.x=142&map.y=156

Or, if you like something more moderate, Monterey, CA:

Posted by: Jim in Blacksburg | June 6, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

clouds are limiting temps from going up right now. at least today isnt going to be that bad.

Posted by: josh | June 6, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

*moves to Mt. Ranier*

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | June 6, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

"For me, in the minority of winter haters, and also heading to the beach this weekend, I say - BRING IT ON!!! WHOO HOO!!!"

Souhtside FFX - I hate you.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 6, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you southside. I'll take this over anything winter has to offer!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 6, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

" over 90 is extremely unenjoyable"

Oooh, a meteorologist not liking high temperatures?
:-)

My arctic seabird handle may need to be changed for the next five months, hmm...

Posted by: Murre | June 6, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

This might have been better if we weren't robbed of spring. It was downright cold a few weeks ago (didn't mother's day weekend have a frost warning at night). Why can we go gradually from 40 to 90, February to June?

Posted by: md | June 6, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm with md. I went on vacation still wearing a light fleece and came back sweltering.

Posted by: rallycap | June 6, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Dear heat-ist meterologist, please do not disparage the heat. I will actually be warm this weekend! We can actually enjoy the pool!

Just as in a cold spell, this heat isn't dangerous if one is prepared. 95 degrees is not miserable, to me. I've spent whole days outside working in such heat to no ill effect (unlike in 20 degree weather).

Please avoid the heat-ism!!!! :-)

Posted by: dynagirl | June 6, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse