The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:00 AM ET, 06/ 5/2008

Forecast: A Few More Storms? Heat Coming.

By Josh Larson

Big-time heat, humidity builds in through early next week

Washington Post: One Dead After Powerful Storms

The bad news is that thunderstorms are possible again today; the good news is that they shouldn't be as widespread or severe as yesterday's violent outbreak. The other rather unsavory forecast item is that extreme heat and humidity are on the way for Friday through at least early next week, with daytime highs into the 90s each day.

TODAY (THURSDAY)

Partly sunny. PM t-storms? Humid. Upper 80s to near 90. Plan on a blend of sun and clouds with humid conditions today. Most spots should see highs in the upper 80s to near 90. A few scattered thunderstorms are possible during the afternoon hours. Some could be strong, but probably not as widespread or severe as yesterday's 'boomers.

Tonight will be mild and muggy with a continued chance of a shower or thunderstorm during the evening hours and overnight lows near 70.

Keep reading for the forecast through the beginning of next week, and see NatCast for today's day-night doubleheader at Nationals Park.

TOMORROW (FRIDAY)

Partly sunny. Hot. Humid. Low 90s. PM t-storm? Expect a blend of clouds and sun on Friday with uncomfortably hot and humid conditions. Highs should reach the low 90s in most locations with little breeze to speak of. Heat indices will probably top out in the mid to upper 90s. A rogue thunderstorm is not out of the question, though the majority of the area could very well stay dry.

Muggy and very mild Friday night with lows ranging from near 70 across the "cooler" suburbs to the mid 70s downtown.

A LOOK AHEAD

The forecast for Saturday, Sunday and Monday is one of nearly unbearable heat and humidity. All three days will feature a blend of sun and clouds with afternoon highs in the mid 90s and heat indices approaching, or at times surpassing, the 100-degree mark. As is typical in summer patterns in D.C., an isolated afternoon or evening shower or thunderstorm can't be ruled out any of those days, but no widespread showers or storms are expected.

Each night will feature uncomfortably muggy and warm overnight lows in the mid 70s, so you'll probably need to keep your A/C cranking 24-7.

Confidence: Medium-High

By Josh Larson  | June 5, 2008; 5:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NatCast: Warm and Humid. Late-Game T-storm?
Next: NatCast: Muggy & Warm; Thunderstorm?

Comments

Thanks to Okie and Ashburn for answering my bathtub Q on the earlier thread. I hadn't known about the mattress part. Now it makes sense. Reason to keep around an older mattress. The new ones verge on unliftable and unmanageable for some of us ladies.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | June 5, 2008 5:33 AM | Report abuse

The little "avatars" for high sunny temperatures on the Sterling NWS site are making me smile: Sahara hot sun. Go to http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/lwx/ and click just east of the Frederickburg dot and you'll see them.

Posted by: Murre | June 5, 2008 5:38 AM | Report abuse

Cool, temps in the 90's and power company tells me not to expect power back till 6pm saturday!

Posted by: Mike from the Blue Ridge | June 5, 2008 6:20 AM | Report abuse

Most of the time in the summer, go to the Los Angeles NWS site and check the forecast for the San Fernando Valley and you'll see an endless string of those.

Posted by: WSL | June 5, 2008 6:39 AM | Report abuse

Losing AC in the coming H&H wave is my biggest nightmare. I truly think I would go mad. Thankfully, Allegheny Power has been surprisingly prompt out here. Mike from the Blue Ridge: I hope you and Augusta Jim finally got some decent rainfall.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | June 5, 2008 7:10 AM | Report abuse

Could you and the WP also include power outtages for NOVEC. Not everyone in NOVA has the evil empire Dominion as their electric company.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 7:19 AM | Report abuse

Let's hope Allegheny Power treats me right also tinkerbelle! Rain hasn't been an issue with me, 6" in May and 8+ for April, though I know my mountain/valley friends to my south have suffered.

Posted by: Mike from the Blue Ridge | June 5, 2008 7:38 AM | Report abuse

Thats a really good point about NOVEC - much of the populated areas of Loudoun are on NOVEC...I rarely see the media report their outages. Maybe because they tend to keep the power on. Well...THAT was a day yesterday. I kept it on Topper for most of the event. Multiple times he mentioned that this was pretty much it, the largest severe outbreak he had ever seen here. My DC history goes back to 1990 and only Hurricane Ivan's tornadoes can even come close to the amount of tornado warnings we had yesterday. All this from a stalled front...this is probably a once a month incident from March thru June in the midwest with multiple MCSs running over the same area. Here, maybe once every 15 years?

Spring has been much more interesting around here than winter was...

Posted by: Dulles ARC | June 5, 2008 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Alright, enough is enough.

BRING BACK THE DROUGHT ASAP!!!!

All kidding aside, we really need a month of dry, tranquil weather here in the Metro area to let the ground, trees, plants, etc. have some time recover. Not to mention the people directly affected by these horrible storms.

I know I myself am physically and mentally beat down by the rains of May and the storms of June.

Posted by: Ivan | June 5, 2008 7:50 AM | Report abuse

I'm so grateful to have had power throughout the whole thing. I hope everyone's lives are soon restored to normality!

Posted by: ~sg | June 5, 2008 8:06 AM | Report abuse

West Springfield (Accotink Lake/Mixing Bowl)--> Storm Total Tuesday afternoon through Thursday AM = 2.05"

Our power was out for about 4 hours. (Not TOO bad.) Only moderate sized branches down in yards and in the forest.

Posted by: Bikerjohn | June 5, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

As a long time reader of this blog (meaning going back to its predecessor) I think CWG deserves many congrats for doing such an outstanding and professional job throughout the recent severe bout of storms.

Posted by: jeffc | June 5, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

The cable is working again. YAY! We're lucky that the only thing affected by the storm was the cable. The power flickered like in those spooky movies all through the first round, and flickered a little during the second round, but never stayed out for more than a second or two. The little section we live in doesn't lose power to thunderstorms a lot. Only times we lose power in the neighborhood I live in is when a car crashes into a power pole or when it's really really hot and everyone and their cat uses the AC and it blows the generators. I'm surprised there are as many kids in school today as there are, seeing that people don't have power all over the place.

The were some trees down in the neighborhoods our bus goes through, but it wasn't as bad as I had expected. There are tons of leaves and twigs and branches and stuff laying in the roads.

I guess we got it kinda easy down here, and it's dang scary for me to say that.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | June 5, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, JeffC. We've been working hard. A recap post is coming out shortly.

Posted by: Capital Weather Gang | June 5, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

DOM sux....

Posted by: Powerless in Loudoun | June 5, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Wow, LWX said "THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ISSUED A COMBINED 70 SEVERE
THUNDERSTORM...MARINE...AND TORNADO WARNINGS...AND HAVE SO FAR
RECEIVED OVER 80 REPORTS OF SEVERE WEATHER." in a public information statement issues last night. That doesn't surprise me. My WX radio went off 30 times (I actually counted). Sheesh.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | June 5, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

New Recap post is up. Click on Capital Weather Gang banner to return to main blog page.

Posted by: Capital Weather Gang | June 5, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

It's summertime in DC, and Mother Nature is having her way!

Posted by: Bernard | June 5, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse