The new Washington
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 12:15 PM ET, 06/24/2008

Photography: D.C.'s Double Rainbow Connection

By Jason Samenow

alex-rainbow.jpg
From Old Town, Alexandria, Va.: Capital Weather Gang visitor Alex produced this stunning composition. See full size.

Between 7:00 and 7:30 p.m. yesterday evening, many area residents gazing at the sky caught sight of a full, towering double rainbow. In addition to the amazing shot above, keep reading to see more awesome rainbow photos from Capital Weather Gang (CWG) visitors and Washington Post photographers. (Also, see our full forecast and don't miss Andrew's post on climate change and weather extremes).

bernie-rainbow.jpg
From Glen Burnie, Md.: CWG visitor Bernie Kelm photographed this image. See full size.

rainbow2-wp.jpg
Over Reagan National Airport, Va.:This image, by photographer Dominic Bracco II - Washington Post, appeared in today's Washington Post print edition.

wdc-rainbow.jpg
From Odenton, Md.: CWG visitor WDC 21113 (Diane Collins) captured this scene. See more photos from WDC 21113.

dartmouth05-rainbow.jpg
From Bethesda, Md.: CWG visitor Dartmouth05 (Jed Sorokin-Altmann) shot this photo. See more photos from Dartmouth05.

odonnel-rainbow.jpg
From South Arlington, Va.: Mighty Appetite blogger Kim O'Donnel (from washingtonpost.com) snapped this picture.

rainbow1.jpg
From Courthouse, Arlington, Va.: Photographer Anne Marley from washingtonpost.com took this panorama.

By Jason Samenow  | June 24, 2008; 12:15 PM ET
Categories:  Photography
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Freedman: Increasingly Going to Extremes
Next: CommuteCast: An Evening Without Storms

Comments

Awesome pictures, everybody! Now I will display my ignorance of both optics and weather: is two rainbows the max, or can you get more?

Posted by: h3 | June 24, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

that is an amazing picture!

Posted by: madison | June 24, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

That was going to be my question -- How often do double rainbows occur? I've never seen one before. These pictures are incredible!

Posted by: kampsyd | June 24, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Here's a nice link that provides info on double rainbows: About Rainbows, and also speaks to the very rare occurrence of greater than double rainbows.

Posted by: Capital Weather Gang | June 24, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I saw it! It was gorgeous! I thought, "I wish I had a camera!" Thanks for the photos!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 24, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Wow, that makes two double rainbows in one week!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 24, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Tim Russert is working magic in heaven! Maybe he sees better days ahead.

Posted by: Greg | June 24, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

I can only recall seeing a double-rainbow one time in Baltimore, my hometown. I remember taking a picture of it from my apartment's parking lot. That was more than 25 years ago! That double-rainbow was a beautiful and unusual sight!

Posted by: Joe Meyers | June 24, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Hey guys: Thanks for adding my photo -- just wanted you to know the shot was taken in S. Arlington, not Bethesda, as stated in caption. Thanks!

Posted by: Kim O'Donnel | June 24, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for adding my photo too! You might want to change my caption to reflect my name, though, if you don't mind: Jed Sorokin-Altmann.

Posted by: Dartmouth05 (Jed Sorokin-Altmann) | June 24, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Kim and Jed: I've updated the captions per your requests. Thanks!

Posted by: Jason, Capital Weather Gang | June 24, 2008 11:48 PM | Report abuse

We saw the same thing that day...only we were driving through NJ from Philadelphia. Is it possible for a rainbow to be seen that far and wide, or was it a coincidence?

Posted by: Beth | June 30, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse

The night of 6/23 I was having a viewing for my husband who had passed away unexpectedly at the age of 48. Viewing time was from 6-8pm that night. As people were starting to leave, since the rainstorm was over and it was nearing 8pm, someone grabbed my hand to come outside and see the double rainbow. We all felt it was a sign from above. My husband was a carpenter, born in D.C.,raised in Md., residing in Va. and his work is all across the DC Metro and surrounding areas,and as far away as Baltimore and NY. Deep in my heart I know this was sent for our family from heaven. Anyone who would be kind enough to be interested in contacting me so I may try to obtain photos I would appreciate it. I can be contacted at cynderdee@hotmail.com.

Posted by: Cindy Gilbert/Elliott | July 9, 2008 1:52 AM | Report abuse