The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 7:00 PM ET, 06/25/2008

The Weather Channel's Changing Face

By Dan Stillman

A video tribute to the changing look and slogans of the Weather Channel, from its debut in 1982 to the HD days of 2008.

By Dan Stillman  | June 25, 2008; 7:00 PM ET
Categories:  Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: CommuteCast: Another Pleasant Evening
Next: Forecast: Hello Again to Heat and Humidity

Comments

Unfortunately, TWC has "dumbed down" its seven day outlooks at 20 minutes after the hour on the new HD maps. The only images on the new maps are the color patterns for "rain", "snow", "severe", etc. The "severe" red areas are only on the first days' maps. The word descriptors for "showers", "thunderstorms", etc. which used to be on all the forecast maps have been eliminated. Net effect: The Weather Channel's extended outlooks are a "deluxe" version of Al Roker's 90-second weather segment on Today. Unfortunately we Weather Channel watchers are looking for info that's a bit more sophisticatedd than what's provided on the Today show.

Posted by: El Bombo | June 25, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

The Weather channel isn't the only "channel" with weather transmission difficulties. Channel 7's local weather channel #204 on Arlington Comcast digital continues to have its scrambled audio feed whenever one of the on-camera meteorologists breaks in to give us a weather report. Frankly I'm surprised that no one has yet found a way to "damp" the WTOP background whenever an OCM needs to break in with current weather info.

Right now, TWC's Weatherscan (#101) and NBC's extended digital weather channel (#208) do a better job than Channel 7's #204 though only #204 provides hourly barometric pressure for all local weather stations. In fact Weatherscan may be doing a better job than the parent HD Weather Channel. Weatherscan also has more of that TWC smooth jazz!

Posted by: El Bombo | June 25, 2008 7:37 PM | Report abuse

I used to watch The Weather Channel faithfully, but ever since I found CWG, the SPC and NHC sites, I find myself not watching it very much anymore.

I do admit, it is pretty snazzy looking now. Minus the dumbed-down forecasts like El Bombo pointed out.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | June 25, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

In this day and age of modern technology is it too much to ask that the WC put all of its broadcast in HD? The forecast on the 8's is really pretty, but I don't want to look at black lines on the sides of my screen for the rest of the time. Even if they put a stupid logo in the rest of the space like ESPN does, I'd feel like I was getting something for my HD investment.

That, and the fact that I get much better info from CapWxG is why I don't watch the WC.

Your's truly,

A committed HD snob.

Posted by: doug | June 26, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

I was traveling in Canada last month and really enjoyed "The Weather Network." It felt kind of retro - the graphics, etc., looked like the "old" Weather Channel stuff. And their on-camera people were really pleasant.

Too bad it took me the whole trip to figure out how to convert celsius into fahreneit.

Posted by: Southside FFX | June 26, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse