The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 12:30 AM ET, 06/30/2008

Alert: Severe Thunderstorm Watch Until 2 A.M.

By Capital Weather Gang

12:30 a.m. update: The Severe Thunderstorm Watch has been extended until 2 a.m. While no warnings are currently in effect, one thunderstorm is impacting northwest Montgomery County and another storm (in Culpeper and Rappahannock County) now heading into Fauquier County could affect the immediate metro area between 1:00 and 2:00 a.m. if it holds together (40% chance).

Heavy rain, gusty winds and lightning are possible with any storms that move through.

Use the comments link to report any storm impacts from your location. Also, see our full forecast into the coming work week. Keep reading for previous updates.

PREVIOUS UPDATES

10:45 p.m. update: Scattered thunderstorms, previously in West Virginia, have made it over the mountains. A severe thunderstorm warning is in effect for northern Loudoun and northwest Montgomery County until 11:45 p.m. These storms will miss most of the immediate metro area. However, a second area of severe storms is located near and south of the intersection of I-66 and I-81 in the Shenandoah Valley. These storms will move northeast and may impact the metro area in between midnight and 2 a.m. from west to east.

7:15 p.m. update: At the moment, no storms are within about 90 miles of the metro area. So the next several hours should be pleasant. After about 10 p.m., we'll need to keep our eye on a line of storms currently in West Virginia.

3:00 p.m.: A Severe Thunderstorm Watch is in effect for the metro area untl midnight. Scattered showers and thunderstorms are possible during the rest of the afternoon and into this evening. Periods of very heavy rain, gusty winds and lightning are likely with any storms that develop, but not everyone is guaranteed to see a storm. A few storms could produce hail and wind gusts as high as 70 mph. And an isolated tornado cannot be ruled out.

By Capital Weather Gang  | June 30, 2008; 12:30 AM ET
Categories:  Alerts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Storms Likely, Threat of Early Fireworks
Next: Fourth of July Outlook: Sunny or Stormy?

Comments

You have the same radar image on your page from last night. There is nothing at all on the radar anywhere near NW Montgomery.

Posted by: JT | June 29, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

114 mile-per-hour wind gust in New Jersey? I'm not sure that I can believe this weather station reading...

Posted by: mcleaNed | June 29, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

all you complaining commenters suck. get a life.

Posted by: btl | June 29, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Made it back from the Folklife Festival before the storms hit. If you haven't been, you should go.

There were warnings on all the tents that they were not safe in a storm. Announcements were made that if a storm came up to leave the tents. I know some people were injured when the storms hit last week.

Posted by: ep | June 29, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

JT -- you're probably loading a cached copy of the radar image. Make sure to do a hard refresh of the page. Radar is current, at least the way I see it on my computer.

Posted by: Dan, Capital Weather Gang | June 29, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Sterling radar now (16:35) indicates severe thunderstorm warnings around Baltimore and it looks as if DD may just get rain. Hope I'm correct.

Posted by: Susan in Chevy Chase DC | June 29, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Above comment should read "DC may just get rain."

Posted by: Susan in Chevy Chase DC | June 29, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Severe thunderstorm watch for most of us til midnight

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | June 29, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Note, this post has been updated with Severe T-storm Watch.

Posted by: Dan, Capital Weather Gang | June 29, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Dan you were correct about refreshing the page.

Not sure where these severe storms are going to come from. At 2 pm there were towering storm-like clouds building and the breeze was out of the southwest. Now the sky is blue, nothing on radar, and the wind has come around to the northwest.

Posted by: JT | June 29, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

It became cloudy in Bethesda, but no rain, hooray.

ep, I'm glad you made it to the Folklife Festival.

Posted by: Murre | June 29, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

JT: Sterling says the storms will clear the Metro area and be east of the bay by Midnight, and the SPC says the watch is until Midnight, so we have a solid 6 hours to see something develop. Most of the storms we get around here develop suddenly anyway, so I wouldn't let my guard down yet.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | June 29, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

btl, your offense comments are unappreciated and inappropriate for this forum. Please refrain from similiar outburts. I'm going to warn you before the actual Capital Weather team does.

JT, for the record, the SW Montgomery Co. image you are seeing is NOT the same radar image as last night. Sometimes false echoes show up from just ground clutter or the radar picks up stuff in and under clouds (virga) that has not reached the ground. You will often see areas of green and blue that don't exactly match what is reaching the ground.....this time of year, you want to concentrate on the image colors for the heavier stuff, which DOES reach the ground.

Posted by: Mike from Vienna | June 29, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Most of the activity seems to be SW of us per radar. It seems to be on a track to graze us just to our south. If we get anything, it may be from something which has yet to develop just to our SW.

Monday is starting to look quieter. Sterling says that a mid-level cap could limit us to just showers, no thunderstorms.

Posted by: El Bombo | June 29, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Yes thanks Mike that was cleared up a couple of hours ago. I had not refreshed my page.

And weatherdude I'm predicting these storms, if they do develop, will be to the south and east.

Posted by: JT | June 29, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

We had storms last night and already had thunderstorms in the Metro area today, a couple of hours ago. If we get more storms tomorrow, the last day of June, with the post-frontal upper-air disturbance, how many days will that make this month with thunderstorms....anybody have this month's data? (and keep in mind that many places, like mine, had multiple storms, and even multiple severe storms, on the same days this month).

June (and May to a lesser extent)is historically the chief month for severe storms in the DC area, but even so, this has got to be a record or near-record month. The last month I can remember (and I'm old enough to) with storm after storm almost every day like this was August 1974...but even then, there weren't as many severe storms.

And I don't see how one can blame all these storms on global warming. While this has been a warmer-than-normal June, I have seeen MUCH warmer in the past....without as many storms. Just seems to be a lot of frontal and upper-air instability situations.

Posted by: Mike from Vienna | June 29, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Just looked at the SPC site--that's the first time I remember seeing watch boxes from Canada to one county away from the Gulf of Mexico--all east of the Appalachians! That's quite a front coming through....

Posted by: John | June 29, 2008 7:21 PM | Report abuse

The SPC is going to issue a mesoscale discussion on our portion of WW643 soon, so says the watch status report:

STATUS REPORT #4 ON WW 643

VALID 300045Z - 300140Z

THE SEVERE WEATHER THREAT CONTINUES ACROSS THE ENTIRE WATCH AREA.

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION SERN PORTIONS WW SEE MESOSCALE
DISCUSSION 1640. MCD FOR REMAINDER WW WILL BE CONSTRUCTED SOON.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | June 29, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

A few rumbles of thunder here in Bethesda, but that's about all at the moment...

Posted by: Anonymous | June 29, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Hmm-actually, sounds like a lot of thunder, or someone shooting off fireworks early. I can't figure out what it is. Any other Bethesda folks hearing something?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 29, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm in Silver Spring and I'm hearing what sounds like thunder. Though I suppose it could be fireworks...

Posted by: Murre | June 29, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

It's over, so I'm guessing some town or area was having their fireworks display tonight.

Posted by: Murre | June 29, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

According to the "Washington, DC Metro Area Lightning Mapping Array", there have been no lightning strikes up that way. So yep, they were probably fireworks.

One of the CWG guys posted a link to this site in one of the articles a few weeks back, and I check it every time there are storms in the area. I absolutely love this site.

It shows all the lightning strikes in the DC area. I've been looking for something like it for a really long time, and I'm happy I decided to click the link when it was posted. :)

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | June 29, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

I think SPC went a bit crazy with the watch boxes this evening. :)

Posted by: jtf | June 29, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

I think what folks were hearing in Bethesda were fireworks. Heard the same thing in Friendship Heights.

Posted by: Jason, Capital Weather Gang | June 29, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

I agree the watch box may not be necessary any longer for our area. It's after dark, the air is getting more stable (although the front, of course, will provide some uplift), and the line of storms in WV appears to be weakening. The big question right now, of course, is if they will re-form east of the Blue Ridge. Possible, but not terribly likely.

Posted by: Mike from Vienna | June 29, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Bow echo trying to form north of Harrisonburg. NWS put a warning up for it. If it holds together it'll push through Fauquier, Loudoun, PWC, Fairfax, and then into montgomery co., DC and maryland.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | June 29, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Another storm near Martinsburg WV has prompted a warning for Loudoun Montgomery Frederick and Carroll counties...

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | June 29, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Prince William, Fauquier, Loudoun, Culpeper, Rappahannock, and Clarke counties under severe thunderstorm warnings until 1215AM

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | June 29, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Couple quick notes everybody: We have a new feature in the Severe Weather Tracking Station. You can get more details on any warning that lights up on the warning map by clicking the appropriate label in the legend below the map. Also, we've been in contact with the National Weather Service and they say they identified and believe they have fixed the problem that was causing warnings to not show up on the map in a couple of recent instances. As always, we hope our loyal commenters will keep an eye on things to see if the map performs as it should. Thx!

Posted by: Dan, Capital Weather Gang | June 29, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to be posting so much tonight, I'm sure at least one of you is ready to delete me from the internet ;)

But, I had to mention this. The temperature here has gone up 4 degrees in 30 minutes. What's up with that? I thought this was a COLD front coming through, lol. Is this happening anywhere else?

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | June 30, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Well, looks like the line did reform east of the Blue Ridge, at least to an extent. Some good cells in Loudoun Co, and the watch is now extended to 2 AM.

Posted by: Mike from Vienna. | June 30, 2008 12:21 AM | Report abuse