The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 6:50 PM ET, 06/28/2008

Update: Evening Showers and Storms

By Dan Stillman

An area of showers and thunderstorms now approaching the far northern and western suburbs is on track to move through the metro area from west to east over the next few hours, likely impacting the close-in suburbs and downtown area during the 7:30-9:30 p.m. timeframe. Most activity should move off east of the metro area and diminish by around 10 p.m.

By Dan Stillman  | June 28, 2008; 6:50 PM ET
Categories:  Updates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fourth of July Outlook
Next: UnitedCast: Humid, Slight Storm Threat

Comments

Warnings on the Sterling home page but not on the warnings map above cover parts or all of Washington, (w) Frederick, Berkeley, Jefferson, and (w) Loudoun Counties.

Posted by: Murre | June 28, 2008 7:21 PM | Report abuse

weather gang,what will happen with the strong line entering west virginia?

Posted by: al | June 28, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Still no warnings showing up on the CWG map above.

Posted by: Murre | June 28, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Heavy rain and wind in NW Montgomery. A few rumbles of thunder but no lightning seen.

Posted by: JT | June 28, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

I took half an hour of outdoor footage from my video camera and compiled it into a short little thunderstorm video. It's not winning any Oscars, but you might enjoy it nonetheless. :-)

Posted by: mcleaNed | June 28, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Severe TStorm warning for part of Loudoun as well as western Montgomery County (now displaying on the map above). All is fairly calm, and cloudy, in Silver Spring.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 28, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

We are contacting the National Weather Service again about the problems with the severe warning feed. If we aren't assured that this will be fixed, then we'll pursue accessing warnings via a different source. For the moment, all seems to be working.

Posted by: Dan, Capital Weather Gang | June 28, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Nice video, mcleaNed.

Posted by: Murre | June 28, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Beautiful clouds coming in from the northwest!

Posted by: Laura in NWDC | June 28, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Dan, for my 7:21 and 8:08 statements, the Severe Thunderstorm warnings were displaying on the Sterling home page and the http://www.weather.gov/view/largemap.php page. They were not displaying on the Sterling radar pages, and were not displaying on the CWG warnings map near the top of this page. For my unsigned 8:38 posting, the Severe Thunderstorm Warnings were displaying on all four pages.

I do hope NWS gets the severe warning feed fixed.

Posted by: Murre | June 28, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Murre -- helpful info.

Posted by: Dan, Capital Weather Gang | June 28, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Line developing right over the District. Severe warning just issued.

Posted by: Jamie Y (Potomac) | June 28, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Lightning and thunder now.

Posted by: Laura in NWDC | June 28, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

AMAZING STORMS IN LAKE RIDGE! HOLY MACKEREL!!!!!!!!!!!

One clap of thunder and sprinkles. Hehehhehehe. Sorry, I have a sarcastic sense of humor ;)

Hopefully the storms in WV will make it here. But, if what mcleaNed answered my question with last night was true (about the unpaved roads in WV and backup on the beltway), it'll probably take a few years for the storms to get here...soooo, I'm not holding my breath ;)

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | June 28, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Rolling thunder (literally) near Harpers Ferry around 8:30 p.m. Went on for at least one minute. I've never heard anything like it. Started very powerful, shaking my house; I checked for shattered windows (none). Oddly enough, that thunder (and a huge lightning flash) signaled the END of the storm in my area.

I'm still looking for a new weather radio. Murre, did you find a good one? You might've already posted about it. I've been out of the loop recently.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | June 28, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Fabulous CG lightning and no rain. Maybe I shouldn't be plastered up against the window but this is too gorgeous to miss. Some of the brightest, whitest, sparkliest lightning I've seen this season.

This is officially the. best. summer. ever.

Posted by: Laura in NWDC | June 28, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

T-storm just blew up over Alexandria area and far SE Fairfax Co. Went into the drug store with relatively calm skies. Came out 10 minutes later and it looked ominous. Then some big booms and a little bit of rain. Calming back down now after a brief spell.

Posted by: Huntington Mark | June 28, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

WeatherdudeVA, what's that about? Have y'all been dissing my state while my back was turned? SIGH. I'd better hang out on this site more often, keep you dudes in line.... :)

Posted by: tinkerbelle | June 28, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Just drove from DC to Springfield via 395 in possibly one of the most horrible downpours ever - dozens of cars parked on the shoulder waiting it out. I couldn't see more than a carlength or two in front of me.

Posted by: Mark | June 28, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

LMAO tinkerbelle! Hey...look at mcleaNed, he said it first yesterday. I asked if the storms in WV/KY would make it here last night and he said this:

"

Weatherdude: I doubt it. The roads in rural West Virginia aren't paved very well, and there's stil a lot of backup on the beltway.

Posted by: mcleaNed | June 28, 2008 12:17 AM "

So if you're gonna kill people over making fun of WV, take him!!

*cowers in fear*

:P Just kiddin

I still hear thunder in the distance, and I saw one more brilliant flash and some spider lightning.

And on an unrelated note, is anyone else having trouble staying signed into AIM? Mine boots me every 10 minutes or so and it takes 5 minutes to sign back in.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | June 28, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

What is happening in Bowie? I'm in South Carolina right now and I see this beast of a cell moving right over my Maryland house with warnings and enhanced wording. Take it easy, I've got the house up for sale, for goodness sake, the market is bad enough as it is.

Posted by: Steve Wasko | June 28, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

D.C. seems to be quite the thunderstorm magnet lately. Some nice lightning here in upper NW, not a lot of rain.

Posted by: Ian, Capital Weather Gang | June 28, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

We just had fireworks at the community college here across the street. Pretty impressive with the fireworks going off and lightening in the background...next hour looks to be interesting..

Posted by: arnoldkh | June 28, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

So...what happens now?

Posted by: Laura in NWDC | June 28, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Har, weatherdude, I can't dispute what McleaNed says. (So I'll unrack my shotgun here, hold on a sec... OK I'm back--haha.) You would not believe the cow paths I drive on around here, not to mention the 7-foot-wide ca. 1840 (or so) blind (b/c of hairpin turn at one end) RR underpass I traverse regularly. I nearly drove into a tree one day when I saw the Acela roar over it. So incongruous.

Fireworks are going off now that Nature's fireworks show is over in this area. I saw such a sight one year: Fireworks in Washington Co. halfway up Maryland Heights across the Potomac River from me, and overhead in the sky above them an amazing electrical storm, phenomenal lightning. The paid-for show looked so puny by comparison!

Posted by: tinkerbelle | June 28, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm going on a trip to Rehoboth Beach for this coming week, Sun.-Sun. Could you say which days you think are going to be nice, and the weather for the week? It would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by: Delaware traveler | June 28, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Laura, we are done for at least a few hours. The Storm Prediction Center still has this area in a slight risk for severe storms tonight... more storms are in WV moving east. They would probably arrive around 1-3 am if they hold together.

Posted by: Ian, Capital Weather Gang | June 28, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Laura: Uh...I think we're supposed to either do the Chicken Dance or the Snow Dance?

tinkerbelle: Thank you...I'm crawling out from under the bed now.

I still think I hear thunder in the distance...but there is no storm around. Are the Potomac Nationals having a home game tonight? They usually do fireworks around 10PM on saturdays if they're at home.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | June 28, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Very dark clouds off to my north in Sterling when the thunderstorm passed. However, no rain, not much lightning. I was expecting more after such a humid day. Sigh.

mcleaNed, weatherdudeVA, tinkerbelle: Haha very funny! I may have to use mcleaNed's joke sometime!

Posted by: Model Monkey | June 28, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

tinkerbelle, no, I haven't bought a weather radio yet. I haven't found my existing, broken one either.

Posted by: Murre | June 28, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Chicken dance sounds good to me. Provided that doesn't mean it will start raining chickens.

Posted by: Laura in NWDC | June 28, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse