The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 10:00 PM ET, 06/10/2008

Update: Severe Storm Threat Fading

By Jason Samenow

flick-blunck.jpg
Severe thunderstorms passing through the area. Photographed from a 15th floor apartment in Adelphi, Md. looking south. By Capital Weather Gang visitor Andrew Blunck (from Flickr).

The severe thunderstorm watch in effect for the metro area has been allowed to expire. Scattered thunderstorms may continue to affect the region through midnight, but mainly east of I-95. A few of those storms could be strong to severe but the threat of widespread severe weather has passed.

IMG_3809.jpg
Lightning captured in Glover Park, Washington, D.C. at 8:30 p.m. this evening. By Capital Weather Gang photographer Ian Livingston

Impact reports from the earlier storms:

*Golf ball sized hail in Timonium, Maryland and wind damage
*3/4" diameter hail in Vienna, Virginia and Bethesda, Md
*Wind damage with trees down in Fairfax, Va., Opal, Va. (Fauquier County), Lovettsville, Va. (Loudoun County), Columbia, Md., Greenbelt, Md., Frederick, Md., and parts of the District.
*Power outages: Approximately 50K area outages -- Pepco, Dominion, and BGE

Today's high temperatures: Reagan National - 96, Dulles - 96, and Baltimore/Washington International - 95

Washington Post: Storms Bring Break in Heat Wave

By Jason Samenow  | June 10, 2008; 10:00 PM ET
Categories:  Updates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Severe Storms to Sweep Away Heat
Next: Forecast: High Heat Takes a Hike

Comments

I'm still watching a blurb on the radar near Dulles Airport. It's not that impressive-looking, but might morph into something by the time it gets to McLean/Western DC.

Posted by: mcleaNed | June 10, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

awesome pic, Ian! i saw a lot of impressive lightning tonight, but nothing like that.

Posted by: dinergirl | June 10, 2008 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Very impressive winds as the storm passed through my neighborhood. The constant lightning ensured I didn't miss any of it.

Too bad I didn't have my camcorder.

Posted by: jtf | June 10, 2008 11:29 PM | Report abuse

That top picture is awesome! Get that thing a copyright!

Posted by: Greg | June 11, 2008 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Great photos Andrew and Ian! I saw very little lightning where I live in the western suburbs, but we did get some hail.

Posted by: Kevin, Capital Weather Gang | June 11, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse