The new Washington
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:00 AM ET, 06/ 7/2008

Refreshed Without Power

By Kevin Ambrose

tree_std.jpg
The tree that closed Vale Road and cut the power to my home in Oakton, VA.

We just got power restored yesterday morning after being without electricity for two nights due to the first storm that blew through on Wednesday. Losing power can be quite frustrating, of course, and I really hated to lose my large ice cream supply and other food items. But in a way, the down time was actually a bit refreshing. My family was able to spend two nights reading books together by flashlight, with no distractions. That never happens. I'm just curious how others spent the time without power. Please feel free to comment below.

By Kevin Ambrose  | June 7, 2008; 5:00 AM ET
Categories:  Photography
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NatCast: Steamy and Sultry
Next: NatCast: Steamy and Sultry

Comments

Hi Feel for ya Kevin, got my power at 155pm on friday....I was on my way home from work and called my house, when the answering machine kicked in, I knew I was good! My downtime was AWFUL, my gf headed to her friends apartment and I babysat 3 dogs and 2 cats and slept in a 80 degree room :(

Posted by: Mike from the Blue Ridge | June 7, 2008 5:38 AM | Report abuse

Our family plays Scrabble by candlelight, a tradition we started several years ago when we were without power because of Hurricane Isabel

Posted by: D.K. in Alexandria | June 7, 2008 6:48 AM | Report abuse

Last night I had just finished watching a video on how pepco restores power, when the power went out. Lasted a good 10 minutes before it came back on. Kinda freaky considering the video I watched had JUST ended.

Posted by: Havoc | June 7, 2008 7:22 AM | Report abuse

This time we didn't lose power. During the four nights without electricity after Isabel, we prepared for classes, read books and newspapers, played cards, and listened to a battery-powered radio, all by natural then candle light. Bed time was around 9:30 pm.

Posted by: Murre | June 7, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

I had taken Thursday and Friday off work (something I NEVER do)--came home Wednesday to no power. Read by candlelight Wednesday night. Tried to find somewhere to charge my laptop on Thursday so I could use WiFi somewhere, but all outlets were taken so I went to the office for a couple of hours to make sure cell phone and computer were ready to go. Read by candlelight Thursday night. Power came on at 4:10 a.m. Friday, but still no cable TV as of Saturday morning.

Maybe the worst was the surge seemed to have knocked out my coffee grinder, so had to go out Friday for coffee.

Not horrible, but certainly not how I would have chosen to spend time off!

Posted by: BRM | June 7, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Still waiting for our power to come back. We had a fairly large double leader White Oak fall from the neighbor's yard into our yard, across our power line, phone line, and onto our house. Ugghhh...

Posted by: Jeff in Fairfax City | June 7, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Havoc, that is hilarious.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 7, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Hahah our ac was broken for 3 days up until the storms arrivals and was on for a about an hour

Posted by: bibblenkits | June 7, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse