The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 12:20 AM ET, 07/23/2008

Update: Storms Linger Overnight; More Tomorrow

By Jason Samenow

12:20 a.m.: More showers and storms are approaching from the southwest and may impact the region during the overnight hours. The most concentrated area of storms is likely to skirt northwest of the metro area, but isolated to scattered storms are still possible for D.C. and its immediate suburbs, with lows in the mid-to-upper 70s. The rest of the forecast calls for more storms tomorrow, some of which could be strong or severe.

Keep reading for previous updates.

PREVIOUS UPDATES

10:15 p.m.: The storms that developed to our southwest haven't held together very well as they've moved northeast. But radar shows some small, isolated storms that will impact parts of the area over the next hour or so and more storms may develop overnight. One strong storm is currently moving into Prince William County -- which may produce some strong winds, heavy rain and even some hail.

9 p.m.: Here comes our second bout of thunderstorms today. A severe thunderstorm warning is now in effect for parts of Fauquier County. Several thunderstorms to the southwest of the metro area will move to the northeast over the next several hours. The storms should reach Fairfax County around 10 p.m. and then impact the District and Maryland suburbs between 10:30 p.m. and midnight. Having said that, additional storms may develop and affect areas within the metro area ahead of that schedule. The primary storm impacts will be heavy rain and gusty winds. Right now, the most intense storms look like they will track through the southern half of the metro area.

By Jason Samenow  | July 23, 2008; 12:20 AM ET
Categories:  Updates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: CommuteCast: Steamy Not Yet Stormy
Next: Forecast: Sweaty With Storms. Some Severe?

Comments

Quite a few loud rounds of thunder in east PG. Angry little popup storm!

Posted by: jtf | July 22, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

I don't think this will hold together. My sinuses don't hurt much and I don't feel a lot of pressure in my knees. Yeah, I'm a walking weather forecast. But, when we were having those horrid storms every day, my head hurt so bad I could barely get out of bed.

Posted by: ep | July 22, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Herndon got it around 12:30-1 AM - I don't know a rainfall total for the two rounds, but the later storm provided heavy rain with enough wind to drive it horizontally against our southwest-facing patio door.

Posted by: RobinD | July 23, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse