The new Washington
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:15 PM ET, 07/ 8/2008

CommuteCast: Steamy Conditions Continue

By Ian Livingston

Late-day strong storm threat Wednesday

Radar: Latest mid-Atlantic radar loop from the National Weather Service. Click on image to expand, or here to zoom. Refresh page to update. What's UTC?

Heat and humidity have combined to create uncomfortable heat indices in the low and mid 90s today under partly cloudy skies. Actual air temperatures are now also topping out around or just above 90, so any way it's quantified, today is a hot one. Isolated showers or thunderstorms are possible into this evening, but the main risk will be south of the area.

Tonight: Following isolated evening showers or thunderstorms, we stay mostly cloudy overnight. With high levels of humidity hanging tough, lows will only drop down to between 70 and 75 across the area. Additional passing light showers cannot be ruled out overnight, but they should be few and far between.

Tomorrow: Another day of heat and humidity is expected on Wednesday as highs again reach the upper 80s to low 90s. An approaching cold front will lead to increasing clouds throughout the day and a risk of strong to severe thunderstorms by late-afternoon or evening. The main threat with storms will be isolated damaging wind gusts.

See Matt's full forecast through the weekend as well as NatCast if headed to tonight's game.

By Ian Livingston  | July 8, 2008; 3:15 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Big Bertha: A Bad Omen?
Next: NatCast: Muggy With Storms Threatening

Comments

Hopefully suckage will not prevail tonight. Bring on some storms!

Posted by: Dave | July 8, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Suckage? I like that! It actually made me laugh a little...

There are small storms in Northern PG county, southern Fauquier county, and a slightly larger one in western Culpeper county. I think suckage will probably prevail for most of us with the weather tonight...

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | July 8, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Do you suppose I can get my bike from RFK to dupont circle before any big downpour?

Posted by: dcteacherchic | July 8, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Hey CWG-
I'm guessing that tomorrow night my sister and her 3 kids (5 y.o. twins and 11 mo. old) will have some major problems getting on their 7pm flight from Dulles back home to San Fran? Your thoughts?

Posted by: southbridgemom | July 8, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

You can make it!

Posted by: Greg | July 8, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

For the many of you who remember the "Gang" way back when...here is a great link to relive some wonderful memories of the old web site:

Posted by: Greg | July 8, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Ah yes. When the guys would update every few hours on occasion. Check out the NWS warning on August 29, 2005 which basically predicted a doomsday scenario. I remember when that warning was issued on that day and I pasted it on another site (EWF) and the big boys called a liar and threatened to ban me from the site.

Posted by: JT | July 8, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

southbridgemom: There may well be some delays tomorrow evening due to thunderstorms. Right now though, it's impossible to pinpoint what time they'll come through.

Posted by: Jason, Capital Weather Gang | July 8, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Jason. I've told her to plan for the usual late afternoon 'madness' that often happens when storms roll thru during the afternoon/evening rush hour period. Here's hoping they roll thru earlier or later (but I'm not counting on it).

Posted by: southbridgemom | July 8, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

JT, you were threatened with banning for posting an official government weather statement? What is EWF?

Posted by: Murre | July 8, 2008 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Murre: I believe he is referring to the warning posted by the National Weather Service in the days preceding the landfall of Katrina, which was somewhat strongly worded for a government-issued notice. As for EWF, he is probably referring to the Eastern US Weather Forums: http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/index.php?act=home

Posted by: jtf | July 8, 2008 8:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to Kings Dominion in a couple days. Maybe I should just go next week.

Posted by: Amrit Singh | July 8, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

jtf you are correct. Somehow I was one of the first to spot the doomsday warning which was so out of character for the NWS that the pro-mets refused to believe that a mere lurker could have noticed it before they did. It turned out that they ate their words after a few hours.

Posted by: JT | July 8, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

It's a rough bunch over there.. ;)

Posted by: Ian, Capital Weather Gang | July 8, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

By the way... today was the 10th day 90+ at DCA this season.

Posted by: Ian, Capital Weather Gang | July 8, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

I remember reading that doomsday warning the day before Katrina made landfall. The scenario was horrific to contemplate.

Posted by: Murre | July 8, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Oh dear God...if Sterling ever issued something like this (the New Orleans dire warning from the NWS) I wouldn't have had to worry about the storm, I probably would have dropped of a heart attack half-way through this statement:

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | July 8, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

The 'doomsday warning', if you read carefully, is almost entirely devoted to wind damage, which was not as bad as expected with a weakening storm at landfall.

Posted by: Ian, Capital Weather Gang | July 8, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse