The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:00 AM ET, 07/24/2008

Forecast: A Brief Breath of Bearable Air

By Josh Larson

Humidity, thunderstorm chances increase this weekend

In the wake of last night's deluge and recent humidity, the weather for the next 36 hours will be a welcome treat. Sunshine returns and humidity levels drop from oppressive to tolerable (or even comfortable, relatively speaking). But the weekend promises to bring an increase in humidity along with scattered afternoon and evening thunderstorms.

TODAY (THURSDAY)

Increasing sunshine, less humid. Mid 80s. You'll wake up to mostly cloudy skies on Thursday morning with a few lingering showers possible -- mostly east of D.C. As the day wears on, expect sunshine to emerge along with lower humidity levels than yesterday. High temperatures will be quite comfortable for this time of year -- in the mid 80s.

Clear and comfortable tonight -- perhaps even open the windows? -- with overnight lows ranging from 60-65.

Keep reading for the forecast through the beginning of next week.

TOMORROW (FRIDAY)

Mostly sunny and warm. Near 90. With high pressure in control on Friday, you can expect abundant sunshine, humidity levels relatively in check, and high temperatures within a degree or two of 90 in most locations. Wind will be almost nonexistent.

Plan on partly cloudy conditions on Friday night with milder overnight lows ranging from the mid 60s across the coolest suburbs to the low 70s downtown. An isolated thunderstorm can't be ruled out (20% chance) as humid flow from the south returns.

A LOOK AHEAD

On Saturday a more southerly flow, along with an atmospheric disturbance approaching from the west, will lead to more humid conditions than today or tomorrow. Expect a blend of clouds and sun with a chance of afternoon or evening showers or thunderstorms. Highs will be in the upper 80s. Muggy and warm overnight with lows from 70-75. Confidence: Medium

Expect similar conditions on Sunday, with relatively high humidity levels, a mix of clouds and sun and the possibility of afternoon and evening thunderstorms. Afternoon highs will be in the upper 80s to low 90s. Confidence: Medium

The outlook for Monday calls for mostly sunny skies with a diminished chance for precipitation and afternoon highs in the upper 80s. Confidence: Medium

By Josh Larson  | July 24, 2008; 5:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Update: Flooding Concerns Continue
Next: Dolly Deals a Downpour

Comments

I'm up early, with windows open. It is delightful outside. It's a nice change to see the Weather Bonk map with nothing but 60s on it.

Posted by: Murre | July 24, 2008 5:32 AM | Report abuse

Final rainfall 2.75" in Mount Vernon.

Posted by: Etta | July 24, 2008 7:48 AM | Report abuse

I was almost cold on the bike ride to work this morning. Nearly forgot that the hottest month is just around the corner. While the rainfall this Summer has left me with no complaints, I find myself longing for Winter already.

Posted by: AshburnDave | July 24, 2008 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Good morning all! It really is a great morning outside. It was worth last night's tough travel, brief power outage, and nasty wind. I was getting tired of the endless heat and humidity around here.

Posted by: Jamie Jones, CapitalWeather Gang | July 24, 2008 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Can anyone tell me how to get to the NOAA / weather.gov page that provides rainfall amounts for DCA? That website is so difficult to navigate (to me). Thanks.

Posted by: Sarah | July 24, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

@ Sarah:

http://www.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KDCA.html should provide you the info you need. The far right columns show hourly rainfall at DCA.

Posted by: Jamie Jones, CapitalWeather Gang | July 24, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Not sure if its just me, but this summer just doesnt seem that oppressive or even hot to me. The numbers dont back me necessarily, but I just havent noticed that horrible wave of yuck you normally feel when I step out outside this summer. Last year seemed much worse...the early mornings have definitely been nicer this year.

Posted by: Dulles ARC | July 24, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

"Last night's deluge": not in a large part of MoCo: maybe 0.3" in Gaithersburg

Posted by: Pete | July 24, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I'm down at my place on the southwest end of Lake Anna, VA (Bumpass, VA). I could count the number of raindrops last evening on one hand, despite observing lightning and thunder, all quads. What was amazing is that the radar continually showed a major cells approaching my location, only to dissipate or curve away and then regenerate after passing to the northeast.

This is not the first time I've seen this behavior. Why?

The water temperature of the lake is 90F, which if any effect at all, one would not expect it being a suppressing influence on passing convection. Nor is the local terrain of consequence. So, I'll just have to assume it relates to whatever accounts for the fact that there can be no big snowstorms in the DC area if I'm in town.

Posted by: Steve Tracton, Capital Weather Gang | July 24, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Thank you so much, Jamie - that was exactly what I was looking for (and it is now bookmarked!). I just have a hard time navigating that site.

Posted by: Sarah | July 24, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Bombocast: Current 80F, 30.03, rising. Cirrus retreating to SE, cumulus humilis/mediocris.

Past weather: Not much flooding last night; most heavy rain was along and to E of I-95/395. Strong thunderstorms.

Forecast: Today, scattered cumulus, high 85. Tonight fair, much less humid, low 67 or lower outside Beltway. Tomorrow, somewhat warmer, high 88.

Outlook: Sterling now expects best chance of thunderstorms Sunday as trough axis moves overhead. DanceCast, tomorrow eve. Fair warm, 80's dropping to 70's. [8 PM- midnight @ Arl./Ffx. Elks Lodge].

Posted by: El Bombo | July 24, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

AshburnDave, I concur on the temps this morning -- I was pretty chilly riding my bike onto Fort Belvoir this A.M. Rode through many pockets of mist/fog, too -- made for a surreal, but pretty commute. And HuntingtonMark (comment from last evening): no bike rides during last evening's storms, I was hunkered down in the basement with the rest of the family while the wx radio siren kept going off every 5 minutes! My timing predictions yesterday on the rain were mostly correct -- I *COULD* have done my bike commute yesterday without getting wet at all...

Posted by: VAStateOfMind | July 24, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse