The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 4:45 PM ET, 07/13/2008

Update: Sunday Ends With Storms

By Dan Stillman

A hot and humid day has given way to thunderstorms in the metro area this late afternoon. A chance of showers and thunderstorms continues overnight.

Monitor the Severe Weather Tracking Station below for latest radar and any severe warnings issued by the National Weather Service. Also, see our full forecast into the work week.

Severe Weather Tracking Station
Warning Text: DC | MD | VA
Radar: Latest D.C. area radar loop from Weather Underground. Click on image to expand, zoom and for other options. Refresh page to update.
LWX Warnings
Warnings: Severe warnings from the National Weather Service. Updates without refresh (most browsers). Click label in legend for detailed warning text.

By Dan Stillman  | July 13, 2008; 4:45 PM ET
Categories:  Updates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Local Weather Conference: July 18-19
Next: Forecast: Humidity Goes into Brief Hiding

Comments

Nice line of thunderstorms moving into NW Montgomery. No lightning or thunder so far and just light rain.

Posted by: JT | July 13, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Here comes some STORMY FUN!

Water my grass....cloud!
Do my bidding!

Posted by: Bikerjohn | July 13, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

It is pitch black to our north and west here in Lake Ridge. Hopefully we'll get a nice storm out of this. First time in a while the entire line hasn't had a warning on it :)

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | July 13, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Still cloudy in Silver Spring.

Posted by: Murre | July 13, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Been POURING in Gainesville for 15 to 30 minutes. Lightening, thunder, water currents swirling in the streets. WOO HOO! My lawn has a shot...

Posted by: JD | July 13, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Heavy rain in upper NW DC, no thunder/lightning here so far.

Posted by: Ian, Capital Weather Gang | July 13, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Annandale is mighty dark to have occasioned only ONE rumble of distant thunder...

Posted by: Anonymous | July 13, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Nice rainstorm in downtown DC (17th and M MW). No thunder or lightning.

Posted by: watching from my office | July 13, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Raining heavily to moderately in Silver Spring for about 30-35 minutes. I have heard no thunder.

Posted by: Murre | July 13, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

I am enjoying the rain here in Sterling, some very close lightning/thunder when the thunderstorm came through. Moderate rain right now, not much lightning anymore, but still good for the lawn.

Posted by: Model Monkey | July 13, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Line of storms about to hit Lake Ridge.. Sound of rolling thunder along with lightning.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 13, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Another batch of moderate to heavy rain making its way toward DC from the southwest.

Posted by: Ian, Capital Weather Gang | July 13, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

My roommates just left for the "Hootie & the Blowfish" show at Wolf Trap. Guess it's gonna be a damp one!

Posted by: Bob S. | July 13, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

First blast of thunder and lightning here in Lake Ridge - and a bird is going absolutely nuts in the tree outside my window. What does s/he know that I don't?

Posted by: meta | July 13, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Heavy driving rain, wind, thunder and lightning in Lake Ridge.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 13, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Annandale. Heavy rain but only one roll of thunder. Now the rain is letting up to a drizzle. No lightning *yet*.

Posted by: jhbyer | July 13, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Just had a clap of thunder here in Burke (about 5 minutes ago) that shook my house. Loudest/closest I've heard in a while. Just a few rumbles otherwise.

Posted by: NovaHoo | July 13, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

I did hear some thunder a minute ago in between youtube videos. Perhaps I should turn the volume down.

Posted by: Murre | July 13, 2008 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Still raining hard in downtown DC (17th and M Sts NW) nearly an hour after my last post from my office. Darn it. I want to go home.

Posted by: watching from my office | July 13, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

real deal thunderstorm in Chevy Chase right now.

Posted by: MarylandMom | July 13, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

And a real deal thunderstorm in Silver Spring, too. Not all that much thunder so far, but one lightning bolt was less than a mile away, so I am going to unplug right now.

Posted by: Murre | July 13, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

I saw some pretty big lightning strikes while driving westbound on RT 7 through Tysons about 30 minutes ago, and more strikes in the general Herndon/Reston area as I passed RT 606. Home now, and it's just a really nice rain out here.

Posted by: Donna in Ashburn | July 13, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Just about 0.8" so far in West Sprinfield!

Posted by: Bikerjohn | July 13, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

I have a Tuesday evening walk, would it there be thunderstorms or will it be clear?

Posted by: Amrit Singh | July 13, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Read the weather forecast Armit.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 13, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know why the DC area has been getting so much rain since May? I do not ever remember getting such intense and/or long-lasting rain storms. Some weeks we've had rain nearly every day, and May was the 3rd wettest on record. Any ideas?

Posted by: FairfaxNative | July 14, 2008 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Even more heavy rain in Silver Spring.

Posted by: Murre | July 14, 2008 1:31 AM | Report abuse