The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:15 PM ET, 08/13/2008

CommuteCast: Some Showers or Storms?

By Ian Livingston

More of the same on Thursday

Partly sunny skies of this morning are now giving way to more in the way of clouds, while temperatures rise to highs mainly in the mid 80s. The return of a wind from the south is also bringing humidity back up to noticeable levels this afternoon, but it is still rather low for August. Expect isolated showers and thunderstorms to form for the rest of the afternoon into the evening. Any given spot has about a 30% chance of seeing a shower or storm, some of which may produce locally heavy rainfall and dangerous lightning.

Tonight: We'll have a risk (30% chance) of showers or thunderstorms through this evening before things trend quieter -- though still rather cloudy -- overnight. By morning, clouds will thin as readings drop to the mid 60s for the suburbs and right around 70 in the city.

Tomorrow: Thursday will be partly sunny and mild. Expect temperatures to top out in the mid-to-upper 80s as a west wind keeps humidity levels modest (and maybe lower than today). A few afternoon or evening showers or storms cannot be ruled out.

See Dan's full forecast through the weekend, and check out NatCast for tonight's game.

By Ian Livingston  | August 13, 2008; 3:15 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Is That a Snake in Your Pocket? Or...?
Next: NatCast: Weather a Game-Time Decision

Comments

This has been the coolest and most comfortable August (how about the last several evenings - perfect!) I've experienced in my 20 years residing in NoVA. Perfect bike riding wx, too. Since fall is my favorite season, I've immensely enjoyed the recent wx. I know some on AccuWeather.com have already weighed in, but what do you guys think about the coming winter? Is our recent cooldown a harbinger of winter 2008-09?

Posted by: VAStateOfMind | August 13, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking we are overdue for some (at least one) good old fashion blizzard of ~20 inches. I also think we are due for some bone chilling artic air that will entrech itself in the area but may bring with it the dreaded possiblity of freezing rain/icing/mix bag. Looking forward to a winter of snow and cold. Bring it on!!

Posted by: Dave2 | August 13, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I drove through a drenching shower on 85 between Frederick and Montgomery County but of course nothing fell on my lawn. There seems to be a nice group of showers developing southwest of the area. Could it be possible that they could hold together? Twenty-three days without rain.

Posted by: JT | August 13, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Looks like those showers should remain to the west of the immediate area. They also appear to be stationary overall with little eastward movement.

Posted by: BillT | August 13, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

I don't know. They are moving slowly but they have reached the area just south of Martinsburg but that has been the kiss of death for my area in the last few weeks.

Posted by: JT | August 13, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse