The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 08/21/2008

Fay Just Won't Go Away

By Dan Stillman

Radar-estimated precipitation from late Sunday night through Thursday morning puts rain totals as high as 15 inches (pink) along the east-central Florida coast. Courtesy National Weather Service.

Which is worse? A low-grade hurricane that leaves as fast it comes? Or a tropical storm that keeps coming back for more? Many Floridians are probably too water-logged (by the latter) to even muster an answer.

Tropical Storm Fay, which made its first landfall in southwest Florida Tuesday morning, is now harassing the east-central portion of the state with non-stop rain and sustained winds of 60 mph. Along with widespread flooding and power outages, Associated Press reports that confused alligators and snakes have been seen in some flooded neigborhoods.

Nearly stationary as of 11 a.m., Fay is expected to move slowly toward the west-northwest across the northern Florida peninsula today and tomorrow, and then into the Florida panhandle tomorrow night and Saturday. Official rain totals have reached 14 inches in Melbourne, Fla., with an unofficial observation as high as 26 inches... and counting.

More coverage of Fay at the Orlando Sentinel. For local weather, see our full forecast.

By Dan Stillman  | August 21, 2008; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  Tropical Weather
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Too Good to be True
Next: What to Do With This Ideal Outdoor Weather

Comments

No question the low-grade hurricane that gets gone. I still remember Tropical Storm Allison from summer 2001 in Houston. When you get more inches of rain in a day than their are hours, when you have a TS sit over your city for approximately a week and when you get...I dunno, the 100,000 year flood? Give me a barely Force One hurricane that comes and goes faster than you wish your mother-in-law would.

Posted by: BobT | August 21, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BobT | August 21, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

The official site at Cocoa Beach (ICAO id KCOF) had over 23" by last evening.

CapitalClimate

Posted by: CapitalClimate | August 21, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Is Capital Climate a Washington Post blog or some guy hyping his own site?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 21, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

The ownership is clearly identified, unlike some regular posters here who hide behind anonymity when they don't want to be held accountable. (The management can trace your address, however, so you're not really fooling anybody).

CapitalClimate

Posted by: CapitalClimate | August 21, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I suppose Steve's latest comment is directed at me. If this site is going to be censored and the identify of it's commenters catologued and tracked in some sort of "Big Brother" type-scheme, as Steve suggests, you can count me as one less reader (and one less person directing my friends to the site).

CWG, do you track the identity of your posters? And should I stop commenting on issues raised here because I prefer not to reveal my identity (for obvious reasons of safety, among others)? I'm a little confused as to who is speaking for who at this point.

Posted by: Southside FFX | August 21, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

By the way, as a poster here who merely comments on the issues raised, I feel no obligation to reveal my identity. It is just my personal opinion that someone who used to be a writer here and now posts under other names to launch attacks against the WaPo should reveal who he is, that is all. Just an opinion though.

Posted by: Southside FFX | August 21, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

It's generally not my policy to post anonymously, but I'm beginning to use it for "previews".

Actually, "Capital Climate" has a good link to the Cuban site. My own link hasn't been working--perhaps a sign that the Castros might be trying to "embargo" us Washingtonians.

Posted by: El Bombo | August 21, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Southside FFX -- No need to be confused. Capital Weather Gang speaks for itself. CapitalClimate does not speak for Capital Weather Gang. The blog tool allows administrators to block IP addresses should such a situation present itself. It does not allow us to track home address, phone, email address or anything like that. We're thrilled to have you and anyone else, including CapitalClimate, participate in the comments section of this blog, provided it's done in a polite and civilized manner. (To my knowledge you've always easily met that criteria.)

Posted by: Dan, Capital Weather Gang | August 21, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

And for more clarification, yes, by knowing your IP address, in SOME cases, we can deduce who you may be (but 99% of the time, we have no frigging clue). However, this is no different than any other site on the internet, so rest assured, CWG nor the post is doing anything wrong or going out of it's way to track you down.

Now, if you feel otherwise, I do have a nice tinfoil hat I can get you...

Posted by: Jamie Jones, CapitalWeather Gang | August 21, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Models, why have you failed me? They've been doing a terrible job with Fay. The cone of uncertainty with the storm track is huge.

And good to know the CWG isn't a coalition of stalkers. :-)

Posted by: Model Monkey | August 21, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Ok now I am confused. Who is the former Post writer who is launching attacks against his former employer? Its also great to know that the Post is now tracking us. I guess that is what the twenty four hour downtime was all about last week. They were installing the necessary software, etc.

I also find it a bit unsettling to read Capital Climate's remarks. Seems to be a bit threatening. I surely won't be reading his blog.

Posted by: JT | August 21, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Yep, nothing to see here, folks, just click along. An excerpt:

"A handful of providers -- for example, the Sprint spinoff Embarq and The Washington Post Co.'s Cable One -- said they briefly tested a deep-packet-inspection ad service provided by NebuAd, a start-up from Redwood City, Calif."

CapitalClimate: Skip the ads, keep the attitude.

Posted by: CapitalClimate | August 21, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

I think using a "Name" with a web address might be a more subtle way to spam.

Posted by: Ian, Capital Weather Gang | August 21, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Fay may still wind up being a hurricane

Posted by: Omar | August 21, 2008 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Animated popup wrinkle ads are certainly subtle.

CapitalClimate

Posted by: CapitalClimate | August 21, 2008 11:29 PM | Report abuse

And "A shocking secret coffee co's don't want you to know" is certainly not spam. Or how about "Amazing Chinese Weight Loss Secret. As Seen On CNN, NBC, CBS & Fox News"?

CapitalClimate

Posted by: CapitalClimate | August 22, 2008 12:06 AM | Report abuse

The last thing Florida needs is another hurricane or two, arriving after Tropical Storm Fay has severely drenched the entire state.

Two months remain in the 2008 hurricane season and anything is possible.

One thing is for sure, orange juice prices will be rising in price resulting from crop damage.

Posted by: Mark Espinola | August 22, 2008 8:10 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about ads on this blog. In fact, I had to LOOK FOR the ads today because I could remember one ad I had seen on here.

Actually, I can remember one for the Caps when next season's schedule was announced, or something like that. I probably noticed it because anything Caps catches my eye.

I like to rant against authority as much as the next guy, but I just don't understand why the Post is such a harbinger of evil to some people.

And Jamie, I lost my tinfoil hat after Y2K didn't shut down the whole world :). What a disappointment!

Posted by: Southside FFX | August 22, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

JT, the author of Capital Climate is a former contributor to this blog before it moved to the Post.

Posted by: Southside FFX | August 22, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

JT: The 24 hour downtime was due to an upgrade in the blogging software we use on the backend and moving the blog to a new server (voices.washingtonpost.com). There is no effort to track visitors.

Posted by: Jason, Capital Weather Gang | August 22, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Fay is working its way into the record books.

CapitalClimate

Posted by: CapitalClimate | August 22, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

For those eagerly interested in getting around tracking, there are many ways that you can try and fool those who might be interested (proxies, dynamic IPs, etc).

However, trying to comparing Deep Packet inspection done by ones ISP the practices employed by WashingtonPost.com or this sites ownership is a bit of a red herring. Apples and Oranges (but all equally interesting).

If anyone has any more questions on the practices employed by this site (or the web in general, I love to talk security), feel free to shot me an email. As always, the name in my comment and the email address at the top of the page are there for you to find me if you want.

Posted by: Jamie Jones, CapitalWeather Gang | August 22, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Jamie,
With all due respect to your programming prowess, making blanket statements as a non-employee of WaPo/WPNI regarding what the Mother Ship and/or its subsidiaries may or may not be doing is rather disingenuous, at best.
CapitalClimate

[The preceding inadvertently posted to the wrong thread; feel free to remove the previous version.]

Posted by: CapitalClimate | August 22, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse