The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:50 AM ET, 08/ 7/2008

Forecast: Cooler, Less Humid Through Weekend

By Josh Larson

A few t'storms today; then decreasing rain chances

After the passage of a weak cold front, both temperatures and humidity levels today will be noticeably more comfortable than yesterday. Better yet, these lowered temperatures and humidity levels will linger on Friday and into the start of next week. Though a shower or thunderstorm cannot be totally ruled out any of the next several days (especially today), chances your area will see much rain are on the low side.

TODAY (THURSDAY)

Partly sunny; t'shower? Upper 80s. You'll notice somewhat lower humidity levels today, along with mostly sunny skies early on. Clouds will become more numerous during the midday and afternoon hours, and may be accompanied by isolated to scattered showers or thunderstorms during the midday through evening hours. Temperatures -- not as hot as yesterday -- should reach the upper 80s in most spots.

Tonight will be mostly clear and more comfortable, with slightly cooler overnight lows in the mid to upper 60s.

Confidence: Medium-High

Keep reading for the forecast through the beginning of next week. Also, see SkinsCast for the forecast for Saturday's Redskins preseason home opener, and our Virgin Mobile Festival forecast.

TOMORROW (FRIDAY)

Mostly pleasant, warm. Mid 80s. For Friday you can expect abundant sunshine, comfortable humidity levels and a light breeze from then northwest at 5-10 mph. Afternoon high temperatures will reach the mid 80s throughout most of the area.

If you head out Friday night, you needn't bring an umbrella. Plan on mostly clear skies with overnight lows eventually dropping to the mid to upper 60s.

A LOOK AHEAD

Saturday weather should be fantastic for outdoor activities. I expect abundant sunshine, low humidity, and very comfortable -- below normal -- afternoon highs in the low 80s. A rogue thundershower could develop, but the vast majority of the area will remain dry. Saturday night will be clear and quite pleasant, with overnight lows ranging from the low 60s across the cooler suburbs to the mid 60s downtown. Confidence: Medium-High

Another great day for outdoor activities appears to be on the offing for Sunday. Plan on mostly sunny skies and comfortable levels of humidity with high temperatures a degree or two warmer than Saturday's -- in the mid 80s. Partly cloudy Sunday night with overnight lows ranging from the mid to upper 60s. Confidence: Medium-High

The outlook for Monday calls for a slight increase in all of the above: clouds, humidity and temperatures. Expect a blend of clouds and sun with warmer afternoon highs approaching the 90 degree mark. Confidence: Medium

By Josh Larson  | August 7, 2008; 11:50 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: CommuteCast: Clear Skies, High Temperatures
Next: Freedman: Achenbach Off on Weather & Warming

Comments

Josh:
Bring on some rain! My area of the central Shenandoah has only received .10 rain during the past 15 days. This persistent dry northwestly flow is killing us. Lawns are turning parched brown.

Posted by: Augusta Jim | August 7, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

drier, cooler weather. in DC. in August.

no, don't pinch me. let me live this dream.

Posted by: dcreader | August 7, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

The CPC released their monthly ENSO DIAGNOSTIC DISCUSSION this morning.
The Synopsis indicates that ENSO neutral conditions are expected to continue through the Northern Hemisphere fall and winter of 2008/2009 and into the spring of 2009.

If this expectation verifies, we will likely witness a winter weather pattern quite removed from last winter's prevalence.

Posted by: Augusta Jim | August 7, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Agree on the rain - while the totals might show us at the usual average, we get it all in huge dumps. That doesn't help.

Posted by: Southside FFX | August 7, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Augusta Jim, so what weather pattern could we have this coming winter?

Posted by: Murre | August 7, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Augusta Jim,

Was in New Market, VA last weekend and we had 2 storms pass through on Saturday. I would bet between the two storms, it was well over 1 inch of rain. I guess different parts of the valley are getting significantly different levels of rainfall.

Posted by: wilson | August 7, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Well over an inch of rain in the space of two storms (maybe two hours at most) might fill reservoirs, but does nothing for long-term drought conditions in soils, farm fields, etc.

Posted by: Southside FFX | August 7, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Second batch of strong rain on King Street in Old Town. Not very dark out, though.

Posted by: Ender | August 7, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

The storm cloud over south DC and Alexandria ends abruptly right across the street from me. As in, the building across the street is shadowed, and my building is basking in the sun under a blue sky.

This is a good weather day!!

Posted by: Laura in NWDC | August 7, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Building cumulus clouds right now outside my window. Off to my north there is a Severe Thunderstorm Warning for the cell that's... awww. Gonna miss my office.

Posted by: Model Monkey | August 7, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

@Ender
Of course king street is getting rain, since I spent 25 minutes watering the world this morning after the last 2 days of no rain. Can I get my 30 minutes back?

I guess I can take solice in the fact that my flowers out front will appreciate this more than my minor hose-job from earlier. Hopefully it all hasn't run off.

Posted by: Jamie Jones, CapitalWeather Gang | August 7, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Murre:
Historically, many of our memorable winters have been ENSO neutral.

The most recent analogue would be 1989-1990. We were coming off a strong La Nina to neutral as is the case this year. BWI received 8.3" of snow during the 88-89 La Nina, which more than doubled to 17.3" during the 89-90 neutral condition. The central Shenandoah received about 11" during 88-89, but more than tripled to 39" during 89-90.

Posted by: Augusta Jim | August 7, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

That south of dc cell is really blew up as it moved east.

Posted by: Jamie Jones, CapitalWeather Gang | August 7, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Yep, the thunderstorm missed me by a long shot. Sigh. Have fun, Washington.

Posted by: Model Monkey | August 7, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Clouds are building rather ominously as they're drifting south towards SW DC, I've been watching them out my window for the past hour or so...

Posted by: Mark | August 7, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

The storm that went through Harpers Ferry area at noon had the most and biggest hail I've personally ever seen.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | August 7, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Reports of extreme wind, including at least one downed tree, near L'Enfant Plaza, from a colleague who went out to get lunch and returned with a broken umbrella.

Posted by: Mark | August 7, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse