The new Washington
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:00 AM ET, 08/31/2008

Forecast: Fantastic Foreseeable Future

By Brian Jackson

By Brian Jackson

A stretch of very nice weather takes hold of our region today, just in time to salvage the remainder of the long weekend. This sunny, warm weather will dominate the mid-Atlantic landscape through the coming week. Still, for all of our fortunes, we should keep a wary eye to the south, as we could see some tempestuous weather next weekend as the remnants of the tropical dynamic duo, Gustav and Hanna, may affect our area.

TODAY (SUNDAY)

Sunny, very warm but less humid. 87-90. We'll be moving back into the pattern that's kept us mainly dry for weeks today. High pressure builds in behind last night's frontal passage and skies will clear out as a result. My midday we'll have mostly sunny skies and our temperatures will be on their way into the upper 80s. Winds will be light, and out of the north at around 5 mph.

Overnight, starry skies will prevail and we'll cool down quite nicely. Temperatures should back into the low 60s in the district, and 50s in surrounding areas. Winds will continue out of the north but will likely become calm by early morning.

Keep reading for the forecast through next week. See NatCast for today's game. We will post the latest on the tropics midday.

TOMORROW(LABOR DAY

Sunny and pleasant. 85-88. You couldn't ask for better weather to help you celebrate a much needed day off on Labor Day. While we'll reach the upper 80s again, humidity levels will be very low so it will be nice and comfortable outdoors today. Sunny skies will greet you all day long. Winds will blow in from the northeast at 5 - 15 mph.

Monday night holds great sleeping weather to get you ready to go back to work after a long weekend. We'll cool off nicely as overnight lows will dip to near 60 downtown and mid 50s in the cooler suburbs under continued clear skies. Light northerly winds will diminish through the night.

A LOOK AHEAD

The forecast for Tuesday through Friday looks to be quite pleasant, and consistent. Typical summer humidity will begin to return, but we won't see any oppressive heat come our way. Expect mostly sunny skies during the daytime hours this week with highs each day hovering around 90 degrees. Our nighttime weather will stay consistent as well with clear skies and lows in the mid to upper 60s. We'll keep our eyes to the south as moisture from Gustav and Hanna could begin to affect the region next weekend. Confidence: Medium-High

By Brian Jackson  | August 31, 2008; 5:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NatCast: Sunday Sunshine
Next: Gustav Set to Engulf Louisiana

Comments

Boy, the models busted big-time on that cold front. First it was supposed to come through Saturday midday, then the afternoon, then the evening, and it still hasn't reached the area! I had left the air-conditioning off all day in anticipation of the drier air which never came.

Posted by: WSL | August 31, 2008 6:06 AM | Report abuse

According to the map at http://weather.unisys.com/, the front has already passed over us. I think I will not be relying on that map in the future.

Front or not, it feels cooler and more pleasant right now than it did yesterday at 7:30 am.

Posted by: Murre | August 31, 2008 7:19 AM | Report abuse

Capwx gang:
I was pleased a few months back when you announced that you were experimenting with some new features, including the wedding profile/forecast. I was REALLY excited when i realized that the couple you featured happened to be getting married on the same day as me - Sept.13th!
So...hope you'll be keeping an eye on the weather for the featured couple (and me!) for Saturday the 13th. All this Atlantic activity is making me nervous! What do you think?

Thanks!

Posted by: Rishi | August 31, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Currently 84F, 30.23, rising slowly. One patch of autumn-like Ac to N, otherwise clr. Gustav's remnants appear to be heading for TX after landfall. Hanna could be of more concern to us.

Nephew's wedding is in a Tuscan villa, Wed., Sept. 3. Not sure of the forecast for that part of Italy.

DanceCast, tonight: Clear, 70's. This Tuesday, the Fabulettes @ Clarendon Ballroom; looks okay.

Posted by: El Bombo | August 31, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

As a poster noted earlier, Tropical Storm Hannah's forecast path has taken a drastic shift to the north. This could very well become a Mid-Atlantic player by midweek.

Posted by: mcleaNed | August 31, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

mcleanNed,

A prayer indeed for much needed rain, but Hannah is also could possibly strenghten which could brew trouble for MidAtlantic. I keep thinking back to Isabel. I am not familiar with farvorable/unfavorable ocean conditions off Mid Atlantic coast to aid in powering a storm. It seems somewhat complex and different as with Isabel. I know waters are not as warm as GOM. however, different enviormental factors can also induce strenghening which I am not familiar with. All I know is Hannah is looking much healthier and wind shear has relaxed a bit. Outer Banks needs to keep a close eye on this one especially with new model runs.

Can anyone help me understand what factors need to be present for streghtening besiedes low wind shear and warm waters? Particualarlly in the path of Hannah. Thanks

Posted by: VA | August 31, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

oops. Sorry mcleaned, I misread your post. I thought you said prayer, meaning we need rain. Man, I need glasses.

Posted by: "player" | August 31, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I agree that Hanna could be a big player in the Southeast, but I don't know if I would compare Hanna to Isabel. Although they might come in at the same angle, Hanna likely will not have major hurricane-like storm surge with it.

Posted by: durango | September 1, 2008 1:28 AM | Report abuse