The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:00 AM ET, 08/20/2008

Forecast: High Pressure Keeps Fay Away

By Dan Stillman

Next few days as nice as August gets

Sure, this summer has had its usual fair share of heat and humidity. But it has also been marked by several significant stretches of comfortable temperatures and refreshingly dry air. Another such stretch begins today, courtesy of a sprawling area of high pressure that is looking more and more like it will suppress Tropical Storm Fay -- and rains that would be quite beneficial for area lawns -- well to the south.

TODAY (WEDNESDAY)

Partly to mostly sunny. Very low humidity. Low 80s. Partly to mostly sunny skies will lift temperatures from morning lows in the low-to-mid 60s to afternoon highs in the delicious low 80s. Breezes will be light (around 10 mph) from the northeast. And the humidty? -- non-existent. Tonight, mostly clear with lows in the low 60s downtown, mid-to-upper 50s in the burbs.

Confidence: High

Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend. Also, will you be our Weather Checker?

TOMORROW (THURSDAY)

Mostly sunny. Low humidity. Low-to-mid 80s. Another gorgeous day: Sunny skies, low humidity, highs in the low-to-mid 80s, and a nice breeze around 10 mph from the east. Overnight, mostly clear with lows in the mid 60s downtown and near 60 in the suburbs.

Confidence: High

A LOOK AHEAD

Spectacular weather continues on Friday with mostly sunny skies, highs in the mid 80s, and humidity still on the low side. Confidence: Medium-High

Humidity begins to make a comeback Saturday, but still I think we're only talking the low-to-moderate range. Partly to mostly sunny skies and highs in the mid 80s will make for another rather fantastic day. Confidence: Medium

Sunday should stay partly to mostly sunny. But a little warmer -- upper 80s -- and more humid. Confidence: Medium

By Dan Stillman  | August 20, 2008; 5:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: PM Update: Brief Heat Begins Retreat
Next: Flood Stories

Comments

Looks to me as though some of that moisture from Fay could advect into next week's frontal passage. [Unfortunately it has to rain when I have to be out in it next week, lugging non-renewable books back to the Arlington Central Library. That, Southside FFX, is why the rainy weather can upset me. It has to "time" itself for whenever I need to run a necessary errand--please note that it isn't raining THIS WEEK when none of my library books come due. Nonetheless, I can "duck" more of it now that I'm retired and don't have to commute every day in the mess. It also helps not having to spend my weekends running shopping errands.]

Posted by: El Bombo | August 20, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Incredible weather for August. Have we had an August like this in the last decade or two? I can't remember one. I love having the doors and windows open during the day and the delighful temperatures at night are perfect for sleeping. My electric usage has been remarkably reduced. Yay!

Posted by: Christine | August 20, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

The average temperature so far this month is actually slightly above the long term average, but according to the historical data at Weather Underground, the average dewpoint of 60° is the lowest for August, by several degrees, in at least 20 years.

CapitalClimate

Posted by: CapitalClimate | August 20, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Hasn't the word "Forecast" been a brand for Bob Ryan and other area meteorologists for decades? The Post can't really think they can just use that for these blog entries, can it? Much like "PM Update," the Post should stop using other brands.

Posted by: Southside FFX | August 20, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse