The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:00 AM ET, 08/14/2008

Forecast: Nothing to Complain About for August

By Josh Larson

Scattered t'storms possible today & tomorrow

As Dan said yesterday, our recent stretch of "ridiculously nice" weather is coming to an end; there is no need to fret, however, as conditions over the next several days will be perfectly reasonable for this time of year with modest levels of humidity. Scattered thunderstorms are possible today and tomorrow, while the weekend should be drier.

TODAY (THURSDAY)

Partly sunny; t'shower? Mid 80s. After waking up to mostly sunny skies and temperatures in the mid-to-upper 60s, we'll see a blend of clouds and sun as the day wears on with relatively low humidity and highs topping out in the mid 80s. Some showers or thunderstorms, along with winds from the southwest at 10 to 15 mph, may develop during the afternoon or evening.

Tonight, partly cloudy with a lingering chance of showers and storms and lows ranging from the mid-to-upper 60s.

Keep reading for the forecast through the beginning of next week. Also, see Natcast for the forecast for this evening's game against the Mets.

TOMORROW (FRIDAY)

Partly sunny; t'shower? Mid 80s. For Friday you can expect very similar conditions to today. The day will feature a blend of clouds and sun with humidity levels largely in check. High temperatures will make it into the mid 80s during the afternoon hours, during which some showers or thunderstorms may develop which could linger into the evening.

Overnight, a chance of a lingering shower or thundershower early, then clearing skies late. Lows will again be in the mid-to-upper 60s.

A LOOK AHEAD

Weather on Saturday will be pretty benign. High pressure will foster mostly sunny skies and also limit the possibility for afternoon thundershowers. So the day should be dry with slightly warmer highs in the upper 80s. Still not a lot in the way of humidity. Plan on mostly clear skies Saturday night with lows in the 60s. Confidence: Medium-High

Sunday will be almost a carbon copy of Saturday. That means a continuation of mostly sunny skies, low to moderate humidity levels, and afternoon highs approaching 90. Thundershowers should again remain out of the picture. More of the same Sunday night with lows in the mid 60s to near 70. Confidence: Medium-High

The outlook for Monday calls for continued mostly sunny skies, perhaps increased humidity, and afternoon highs right around 90. Chances for precipitation remain rather low. Confidence: Medium

By Josh Larson  | August 14, 2008; 5:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NatCast: Weather a Game-Time Decision
Next: A Full-Out Effort to Forecast Olympic Weather

Comments

Since our discussion yesterday about the hottest month of the year, I'm looking for a website that would have a chart of the monthly average heat index for the region.

I can find a site that posts average temperatures, dew points, and relative humidity, but I can't make those numbers mean anything cause I don't know what I'm doing.

Here's what I saw:
JULY: hi temp-88; dew point-66
AUGUST: hi temp-86; dew point-65
SEPT:hi temp-80; dew point-59

The relative humidity for July is 77/53 (morn/aft). For August it's 80/54, and for September it's 82/54.

So which month would feel hottest?

Posted by: Laura in NWDC | August 14, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Laura,

You could calculate the heat index using the avg highs and average afternoon relative humidies (don't see that done often!).

The formula is not for the faint-of-calculator.

Posted by: Bikerjohn | August 14, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Bow shaped t-storm echo coming to Bethesda/rockville area

Posted by: Jamming | August 14, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Jamming, I can see gray clouds out my window.

Posted by: in Bethesda | August 14, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Bikerjohn. I'm not faint-of-calculator, but apparently my calculator is faint of me. It's broken!

So I used your idea and discovered this:

A heat index calculator!

Looks like the average heat index for July is 90 and for August it's 88.

How wonderful it is, then, that I've been able to have my windows open for 5 days straight!

Posted by: Laura in NWDC | August 14, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse