The new Washington
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 08/24/2008

Photography: Williamsburg Weather

By Kevin Ambrose

windmill_std.jpg
A Williamsburg windmill on a bright, sunny morning last week. Colonial Virginians depended on local mills to grind grain to make their bread.

Williamsburg is a great place to visit if you love history, golf, and roller coasters, and it has been one of my favorite vacation spots for years. Last week, I took a trip with the kids to Williamsburg and snapped a few weather-related photos.

Keep reading for photos and descriptions.

sunrise_std.jpg
A fiery August sunrise over Williamsburg, VA. Brilliant sunrises often are a sign of wet weather to come, but on this day only a heavy cloud cover and sprinkles followed.

stormw_std.jpg
A thunderstorm develops near Williamsburg with the flags from the Visitor's Center in the foreground.

mansion_std.jpg
The Williamsburg Governor's Palace on a beautiful summer day. The Governor's Palace was completed in 1722.

ghost_std.jpg
Do you see any ghosts? I took this blurry, spooky photo of the Shields Tavern during a Colonial Williamsburg ghost tour. No ghosts appeared, but lightning frequently flashed across the night sky, creating a scary setting for a ghost tour. Without a tripod, I had as much luck photographing the lightning as I did photographing ghosts.

By Kevin Ambrose  | August 24, 2008; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  Photography
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Dry and Warm Doldrums
Next: Forecast: Rain Chances Ramp Up

Comments

Some of my relatives live in Williamsburg and it is really a great place. Especially during Christmas time, they have Colonial Williamsburg all decked out in REAL Christmas decorations. It's really an awesome time to go. And during the summer Busch Gardens is open and who doesn't love that place!!

Posted by: Peter | August 24, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Peter, you sure you're not really me? My names Peter, and I have family in Williamsburg too. Lol.
I was just down in Williamsburg/West Point VA not too long ago, weather was nice the entire time. I love that place.

Posted by: Havoc | August 24, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Currently, 89F, 30.06f, scat. Cu a few Ci.
WTOP has been forecasting morning showers and afternoon thunderstorms with the frontal passage tomorrow.

Posted by: El Bombo | August 24, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

We spent last weekend in Williamsburg. The weather was warm and mild, not hot and humid. The hotel pool was refreshing, Duke of Glaucester was pleasantly empty, the Cheese Shop sandwiches were decadent, and the kids weren't fighting. Who could pass up an afternoon of lazy relaxation for a trip to a crowded corporate amusement park?

ObWeather: Sudden Sunday afternoon thunderstorm sent us scurrying from poolside to hotel room to watch Olympics. Relatives who had opted for Busch Gardens that day were really bummed!

Posted by: Sweet in Vienna | August 24, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe that people don't see anything wrong with the picture you have for this story. Look at how much of the sky is covered by "contrails."

Such a shame, and even people who consider themselves weather enthusiasts who often have a deep respect for nature and our atmosphere are in active denial about this.

Sigh...

Posted by: Ken | August 24, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

So Ken, what do you propose? That no photos are taken at all because contrails might be present? I didn't even notice them until you had to point them out. Now my night has been ruined :(

Posted by: Steve | August 24, 2008 11:10 PM | Report abuse

The windmill photo is absolutely gorgeous, and I love the spooky tavern too.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | August 25, 2008 7:20 AM | Report abuse