The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:15 PM ET, 08/27/2008

PM Update: Showers to Finally Arrive?

By Ian Livingston

More clouds, chance of showers, Thursday

Cloudy, cool conditions continue today as highs reach the mid-to-upper 70s downtown and to the north and east, and low-to-mid 70s south and west of town. The rainy remnants of Tropical Storm Fay have lurked to the south and west all day, but so far a stubborn area of high pressure has kept most of the metro area dry. The best chance for concentrated rain will remain to the south and west through the afternoon. But if you're headed out, it's worth grabbing an umbrella just in case!

Tonight: Rain chances increase a little overnight, with the highest risk remaining in the southwest portions of the area, and the heaviest precipitation likely to stay out toward the mountains. Lows will drop to the upper 50s to near 60 in the suburbs and low-to-mid 60s in the city.

Tomorrow: Thursday is shaping up to be mostly cloudy with a continued chance of showers, maybe an afternoon thunderstorm. Odds of rain in your neck of the woods will be around 50%, so it's possible not everyone will get rain. The heaviest precipitation looks to be southeast of the Beltway and west toward the mountains. Highs should reach the mid 70s.

See Dan's full forecast through the weekend, NatCast for the outlook for tonight's game, and SkinsCast for Thursday's preseason game.

By Ian Livingston  | August 27, 2008; 3:15 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Free Radicals! (and Lung Cancer)
Next: NatCast: To Rain or Not to Rain

Comments

Are we looking at the same radar? It looks like at least an inch of rain for the DC metro area beginning around 6pm. No?

Posted by: rjm | August 27, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

This, to me, is similar to a winter time scenario - where it simply won't snow because the air is too dry.

Posted by: Abie | August 27, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

radar looks so tantalizing .... yet not a drop hitting the ground! The high pressure is what's stopping the rain from getting to us?

Posted by: weathergrrl | August 27, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

We can never get a consistently wet (OR EVEN AVERAGE) year. BUST!

Posted by: Period | August 27, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Oh no...Period is screaming BUST and it's not even winter yet. We're screwed. ;P

I just took the trash out and it's sprinkling a bit. NBC4 was calling for about 1/2" of rain for DC, south and west between tomorrow and Sunday. I'm hoping, because the allergens have been kicking my butt the last few days and it would be nice to be able to go 2 minutes without coughing, having to clear my throat or sneezing.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | August 27, 2008 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Don't tell me this is a virga event. At least the sky is getting watered. :-(

Posted by: mcleaNed | August 27, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Hey Folks:
1.03" much needed rain last 18 hrs.

D.C. was getting dumped on several months ago when I was high and dry.

Some parts of s.w. Va. have received 4-6 inches during the past 36 hrs.!

This was a chilly day with temps. only around 59-60 degrees.

8P.M. 58 degrees, light rain, n.e. wind 3-6 m.p.h.

Posted by: Augusta Jim | August 27, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

rjm -- Sometimes radar doesn't tell the whole story. In the case of today, radar showed rain moving toward the metro area from the southwest all day, but it kept dissipating as it ran into dry air courtesy of high pressure centered to our northeast. Finally, we did get some light rain this evening.

Posted by: Dan, Capital Weather Gang | August 27, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

1.30" rainfall last 18 hrs. ending at 9:30 p.m.

Posted by: Augusta Jim | August 27, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

An automated reporting site 25 mi. n.n.w.
of Roanoke has received 7.34 inches of rainfall last 24 hrs.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Augusta Jim | August 27, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

0.00" rainfall last 18.5 hrs. ending at 10:00 p.m.

Posted by: Period | August 27, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Period: Regardless of how much rain we've received in the past day, this year--as a whole--has been anything BUT bust. Reagan has received over 32 inches of rain since January 1 when the average is less than 26.

Don't let a bad month mislead you. This has been our wettest year since I can remember.

Posted by: mcleaNed | August 27, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Hey, wait a second. Is it just me, or does the guy who runs CapitalClimate (Steve Scolnik, from what it seems) also post actively on CapitalWeather.com? His name shows up on both sites.

Intriguing. This would imply that our friendly "CapitalClimate" poster is not Scolnik himself, as it would be strange for him--a regular poster on CapWX--to knock it.

Posted by: mcleaNed | August 27, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Steve is no longer associated with CapWx.

Posted by: jtf | August 27, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Sigh. I wanted rain. I thought the front/dry air behind it was forecast to be pushed northward today. Is it still predicted to do that, or will we be seeing heavy virga tomorrow and nothing else?

mcleaNed:
Steve used to be a contributor to CWx before it moved to the Washington Post.
So yes, he is the CapitalClimate who posts a link to his web site at least 5 times a day.

Posted by: Model Monkey | August 27, 2008 11:21 PM | Report abuse

So frustrating with so much rain stalled to the south ... hopefully some hurricane rain soon that swells the local creeks and raises the potomac some for local paddlers and anyone else who loves a stir up in the weather!

Posted by: klaus_ck_one | August 27, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

"...and seems to be enjoying the water..."

Ian: For some reason, that little snippet from your comment made me laugh pretty hard for a minute or two there. I'm not sure why, it just seemed to tickle my funny bone. Of course, the situation isn't funny, but the comment was.

Last time I checked (about 10 minutes ago) it wasn't raining here in Lake Ridge. UGH...I miss having a solid, 2 day rain event. Although, I shouldn't complain - seeing that the temperatures listed in the "At A Glance" box are a great treat!

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | August 28, 2008 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Wait, whoa, his comment disappeared. That makes my last comment look like I'm seeing things. Oh well, please disregard the top of my last comment so I don't look like a crazyman. :)

And if his comment reappears, disregard this comment so I don't look crazy again. Hahaha

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | August 28, 2008 12:11 AM | Report abuse

normally I would complain about the rain disappearing, but it's hard to complain considering the amazing august we've had. Best august in my five years living here!

The updated gustav track has a hurricane headed directly for nola. I don't think capwx was being alarmist at all on this. If there is even a ten percent chance of SE LA being hit, that's a big deal. Look what happened last time. Hopefully our lame duck prez isn't picking his nose this time.

Posted by: dave | August 28, 2008 1:21 AM | Report abuse

Ah! My doppleganger!

I think to minimize confusion, I (Dave) will switch over to David, leaving "dave" in the possession of "dave."

Posted by: Dave | August 28, 2008 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Weatherdude, I posted in the wrong place -- meant to in Gustav post from yesterday -- so I removed the comment here. :)

Posted by: Ian, Capital Weather Gang | August 28, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse