The new Washington
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:30 PM ET, 09/21/2008

Could it be Kyle?

By Jason Samenow

could-it-be-kyle.gif
To the left, a satellite image of a tropical wave south of Puerto Rico, courtesy NOAA. To the right, a model (GFDL) simulation of this wave's evolution by Friday, when it is a hurricane near the East Coast, courtesy Florida State University.

The National Hurricane Center is monitoring a tropical wave just south of Puerto Rico that could become a tropical depression "at any time." A wind gust of over 40 mph was reported on St. Thomas earlier today. If this wave strengthens - a significant possiblity - it would become tropical storm Kyle. Early model projections simulate this disturbance tracking due north, and then a few models turn it westwards towards the East Coast later this week (as shown above).

Of course, as this storm hasn't even formed, it's future track and intensity are very uncertain. Nonetheless, in an otherwise tranquil weather pattern, it bears watching.

For the outlook into next week, see our full forecast.

By Jason Samenow  | September 21, 2008; 3:30 PM ET
Categories:  Tropical Weather
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Continued Comfortable
Next: Forecast: An Amazing Autumn Arrival

Comments

Bring it on! Godspeed future Kyle.

Posted by: Brian in Alex | September 21, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Wow, this sounds very interesting...but then again, I'm no weather expert.

Posted by: Sunprism | September 21, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

There's a kid in my math class named Kyle. I'll have to see how he responds if this becomes a tropical storm or a hurricane...

Posted by: mcleaNed | September 21, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

There was some talk about Almanacs earlier last week, and I note that the Old Farmer's Almanac calls for a hurricane to hit the mid-Atlantic states at the end of September. I fervently hope that no named storm comes by, although we could use more rain again. A regular ole rainstorm would be just fine.

Posted by: ~sg | September 21, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

~sg:

I am hoping so hard for Hurricane Laura that I may bring it down on us single-handedly.

Apologies in advance...

Posted by: Laura in NWDC | September 21, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Wow more hypothetical rain could make this year somewhat above average... SURPRISE SURPRISE.

or i guess that's what ill be if and when and maybe somehow we get Kyle if it turns out to exist

Posted by: Peroid | September 21, 2008 10:42 PM | Report abuse

The low is looking pretty healthy to me. I'll sure be glued to the model projections this week.

P.S. I could have sworn I got some "Peroid" at the pharmacy yesterday...

Posted by: Sterling | September 21, 2008 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Period: this year's already above average (to date). In fact, if you look at the Dulles and Reagan weather station readings, it's not even close.

Posted by: mcleaNed | September 22, 2008 12:00 AM | Report abuse