The new Washington
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:05 AM ET, 09/25/2008

Autumn's First Dusk at the National WWII Memorial

By Ian Livingston

National WWII Memorial
7:22 p.m. Monday | Photo stats: 8 second exposure at f/14 and ISO 160.

Fall often provides several stretches of pleasant weather each year -- notwithstanding the next few days of rather gloomy conditions -- and the beginning of the astronomical season happened to fall in the middle of one such stretch on Monday. Temperatures were running a few degrees above average, and many people were out enjoying the evening. It felt as if there was still a little summer left, but the colors were decidedly autumnal.

Continue reading for more pictures and background information on this shoot. For the latest on today's potential for rain and wind, see our full forecast, and see NatCast for tonight's final home game of the season.

I arrived on the National Mall about an hour before sunset with dusk on my mind. Summer-like dew points near 60 degrees helped produce a haze that turned the evening sky copper. As the light dwindled, subtle pink and orange hues from the sky reflected off the memorial, producing beautiful (if fleeting) moments.

The photos below are in chronological order and were taken over a half-hour period from official sunset until the sky began going black.

Lincoln Memorial and the National WWII Memorial
7:02 p.m., .5 second exposure.

People at WWII Memorial central fountain
7:12 p.m., .6 second exposure.

National WWII Memorial and the Lincoln Memorial
7:14 p.m., 1.3 second exposure.

National WWII Memorial and the Lincoln Memorial
7:19 p.m., 2.6 second exposure.

National WWII Memorial
7:26 p.m., 3.2 second exposure.

Lincoln Memorial from the National WWII Memorial
7:29 p.m., 6.2 second exposure.

Washington Monument and the National WWII Memorial
7:31 p.m., 2.6 second exposure.

By Ian Livingston  | September 25, 2008; 11:05 AM ET
Categories:  Photography
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Stormy End to Week
Next: PM Update: Rain, Gusty Winds Spread Across Area

Comments

Those are beautiful photographs. Well done.

Mr. Q.

Posted by: Mr. Q. | September 25, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Much better looking than "Dancewrecker"!!!

Posted by: El Bombo | September 25, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Nice stuff Ian, real nice!

Posted by: Mike from the Blue Ridge | September 25, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm really glad you captured that guy's wedgie at 7:02!

Hopefully that's not your dad or one of the CWG guys or something. I'll feel kinda bad...

Posted by: Laura in NWDC | September 25, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

love the colors at 7:26

Posted by: slack13 | September 25, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Thanks all. Laura, I must say I did not even notice! Everytime I go out I have a few folks wander in front of my tripod and take a picture, sometimes I like to capture that to be reminded of how many pictures there are floating around of the Mall area... makes me concentrate a little harder on finding something 'new' (if that's possible!).

Posted by: Ian, Capital Weather Gang | September 25, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Awesome picture, Ian!

Posted by: Josh, Capital Weather Gang | September 25, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

The wedgie just makes the picture better!

These are beautiful. I especially love the one of the two people sitting by the fountains. It makes me love my city.

Posted by: Laura in NWDC | September 25, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse