The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 10:15 AM ET, 09/26/2008

Forecast: Dank and Damp but Better by Sunday

By Camden Walker

WeatherCamClouds, showers, and breeze-chilled temperatures (at times) will remain constant in the region until Saturday night. Rain chances lessen as sun chances increase on Sunday. The trend toward upper 70s and fewer clouds will continue from Sunday through a splendid Monday & Tuesday! Just be patient while we soak up some needed rain...

TODAY (FRIDAY)

Cloudy with showers. Upper 60s. Bands of showers will keep it damp today. The steadiest and heaviest rain may accompany the morning rush, with more intermittent showers thereafter. Northeast breezes of 10-20 mph will keep the upper 60s feeling a bit nippy at times. Keep that umbrella on hand all day today.

Some showers are still likely tonight. But they will probably be on the light side. Low temperatures barely budge: lower 60s. Northeast breezes continue, along with overcast murkiness. Ick.

Confidence: Medium-High

When the heck will we break free of this weather pattern? When does it fully clear out? Keep reading...

TOMORROW (SATURDAY)

Showers linger. Low-to-mid 70s. Clouds and the (70% chance) threat of showers will continue to hold down temperatures. Most of us won't see 75 degrees. Breezes will abate for the most part.. but occasional spurts of wind out of the east could offer a quick chill. Luckily rain amounts shouldn't be too much, although a localized downpour is possible. You'll be able to dodge in-and-out the few batches of showers that move through, I'd bet.

Ever reducing chances (40%) of showers greet our evening. Skies will remain overcast for the most part, and temperatures stay above 60 for the region due to said clouds. A glimpse of drying-out to come, breezes will shift to out of the northwest after midnight. Storm rainfall totals should be around .75-1", with some higher totals possible especially in southern and eastern sections.

SUNDAY

Mostly cloudy. Upper 70s. Drying out slowly, but without much sun, will begin. We'll be warmer. Maybe see a shower (25% chance) in the a.m. but we shouldn't have the threat of real plan-altering rain. Things are looking up!

Still mostly cloudy. Low temperatures will again hover in the lower 60s. Boring. But trending in the right direction...

A LOOK AHEAD

Monday looks simply wonderful. Sunny. Warm. High temperatures in the upper 70s. It's about time, mother nature! ha. Confidence: Medium-High

On Tuesday, we have a repeat! But perhaps after mostly sunny skies for most of the day, a 30% chance of an afternoon shower? Highs in the mid 70s. Confidence: Medium

By Camden Walker  | September 26, 2008; 10:15 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Update: Could be a Rough Morning Rush
Next: Salt Shortage: A Real Reason to Freak Out?

Comments

Nice corkscrew pattern in SC on the 0600L regional radar.

Posted by: AC | September 26, 2008 6:11 AM | Report abuse

This is why the CWG is so much better than the local forecast on TWC. You guys make the best forecasts, and I've never seen TWC use the work "Ick" in the local forcast! Hehehe. I can see it now:

"TODAY -
Icky. High 55. Winds 10-15 MPH. Chances of rain are 'get a rowboat.' "

If it was a little bit warmer I would love this weather. But...it's FRIDAY! So I'll take the chilly rain. If it was a Tuesday I'd be complaining about the weather, but it's not. :)

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | September 26, 2008 6:28 AM | Report abuse

Hi WeatherdudeVA, I laughed at your "icky" - yeah we sometimes just get into the forecast enough that, well--I was bummed! but it sounds like your Tuesday is your version of "Friday"? Glad you can enjoy the rain a little. Or at least not find it horrible. "mehh!"

Posted by: Camden, Capital Weather Gang | September 26, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Question: When I go to the Noaa Base Reflectivity screen, which looks as though it is continuously updating, I get an image that shows the worst of the storm just about to hit us. But when I click 'most recent image', the storm has almost completely left our area and is way up North. Why is there such a time lag? The first screen gives me a false picture of current conditions. Shouldn't I get true conditions from both screens?

Posted by: Etta | September 26, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Yes. It's called 'hit refresh'.

Posted by: Etta | September 26, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Perfect amount of rain! But it's gonna postpone putting away the mowers and weedeaters .... everything is greening up again and practically growing before our eyes!

Posted by: weathergrrl | September 26, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

CWG: Will you folks have a foliage report update on your site as the season progresses?

Posted by: jmbethesda | September 26, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Hi jmbethesda, while I am not in charge of autumnal/seasonal reporting around here-- I am sure we'll have foliage updates from early October through early November. The leaf peeping is upon us very soon! (I hope to head west one weekend soon)

Etta, it does sound like the cache wasn't refreshing properly. Hopefully hitting refresh on your browser successfully pinged their NOAA servers for the correct, current information.

Posted by: Camden, Capital Weather Gang | September 26, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

And also, Etta, have you checked out the radars on our new Weather Wall?

Posted by: Dan, Capital Weather Gang | September 26, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Sooooo... what's the chance that the Oriole's game will be canceled tonight? I've got tickets but don't really feel like treking up there just to have a rainout. Was pouring this morning here in Bethesda but now it's not doing much outside.

Posted by: Laura | September 26, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Laura, I totally understand the desire to avoid such a frustration. I hate trekking to Baltimore in general. ha.
But in my opinion--if I held tickets to the O's tonight--I would still head up to Camden Yards. (Take the 5:16pm MARC train if you can. I find it very convenient.)
I foresee a very low chance of a rain out.

Posted by: Camden, Capital Weather Gang | September 26, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm wondering about the accuracy of Sterling's 10:55 AM post--they say this storm's "triple point"--the spot where the warm, cold, and occluded fronts meet--is "well offshore". However, my check of the CWG Weather Wall's synoptic chart places the triple point just onshore, near Kitty Hawk, NC and Cape Hatteras, an Outer Banks site which hardly qualifies as "well offshore"! [If Kitty Hawk were well offshore, the Wright Brothers would never have gotten off the ground 108 years ago, and we still might be "waiting at the airport", so to speak!]

Just for refreshers, the triple point is a VERY IMPORTANT feature of these coastal systems, especially in the winter. It's often the site where a new low-pressure circulation center develops and intensifies, while energy gets transferred from the old inland low to the new triple-point storm. You will hear more about this during the winter, especially if the Washington area is subfreezing when a new triple-point low intensifies to our SE. It would be GREAT if such a scenario were to develop some time on Christmas Eve, 2008!

Posted by: El Bombo | September 26, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse