The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 9:45 AM ET, 09/17/2008

Forecast: Summer Slowly Slips Away

By Dan Stillman

Weather pattern locks into mild days, cool nights, no rain

Was Sunday's scorcher the last gasp of summer 2008? More and more the answer is looking like a yes, as highs aren't likely to make it much past 80 in the foreseeable future. Some will miss that summer feelin', many will enjoy mild afternoons and cool nights, and a few will loathe the lack of rain. Fortunately, though, precipitation in the metro area is running well above average both for the month and year to date.

TODAY (WEDNESDAY)

Partly to mostly sunny. Upper 70s to near 80. Other than some morning clouds, especially from D.C. toward points south and east, a fantastic day is in store with partly to mostly sunny skies and highs in the upper 70s to near 80. The breeze will be light, from the north at 5-10 mph. Tonight, mostly clear with lows near 60 downtown and low-to-mid 50s in suburbs.

Confidence: High

Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend. And see NatCast for the forecast for tonight's game against the Mets.

TOMORROW (THURSDAY)

Partly to mostly sunny. Upper 70s to near 80. Breezes continue from the north, but a bit stronger at 10-15 mph, and this time with partly to mostly sunny skies and highs in the upper 70s to near 80. Overnight, mostly clear with lows near 60 downtown, mid 50s in the burbs.

Confidence: High

A LOOK AHEAD

Friday should be pretty darn similar to Thursday -- partly to mostly sunny and a bit breezy -- but a little cooler with highs in the mid 70s. Confidence: High

With high pressure firmly in control, the weekend will likely be just perfect for anything and everything outdoors -- mostly sunny with highs in the upper 70s on Saturday and low 80s on Sunday. Saturday night lows near 60 downtown and in the 50s in the suburbs. Confidence: Medium-High

By Dan Stillman  | September 17, 2008; 9:45 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NatCast: Beautiful Baseball-Watching Weather
Next: Welcome to the Weather Gang Weather Wall

Comments

Woohoo! I was able to see my breath this morning. Now...let's just wait for the snow.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | September 17, 2008 7:27 AM | Report abuse

A 2-sun forecast, with possibly more on the way! That's what I like to see. Now put a no-allergy icon for the entire fall and we'll be talking.

Posted by: Sterling | September 17, 2008 7:53 AM | Report abuse

I woke up with the covers pulled up to my neck after sleeping with the window open all night. Now that's what I'm talking about!

Posted by: Laura in NWDC | September 17, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Hey weatherdudeVA, let's enjoy fall while we have it. I was just thinking the other day about what a shame it is that spring and fall are so much shorter than winter and summer (or at least it seems that way).

Before snow, I expect to encounter some corn mazes and pumpkin patches!

Posted by: Laura in NWDC | September 17, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Rode my mountain bike from 7pm to 9:30pm yesterday night -- it was just cool enough on the trails to be glad I had on long sleeves. PERFECT weather for doing just about anything outside. I'm excited.

Posted by: Adam | September 17, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Where is Mike in the Blue Ridge? Winter is coming and I have not seen him here in quite some time.

Posted by: Greg | September 17, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Wow I was amazed at how awesomely cool/cold (ha) it was this morning. even walking to work late. I had to sip my coffee to warm up! love it. Didn't you? Sounds like you all did, above here ;) covers pulled up and everything!

Posted by: Camden, Capital Weather Gang | September 17, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse