Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
The new Washington
Post Weather website
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:00 AM ET, 09/14/2008

Forecast: Stifling Heat Takes a Parting Shot

By Brian Jackson

By Brian Jackson

Summer heat isn't done with our region quite yet. Winds from the south will pump heat and humidity into the mid-Atlantic today, raising our temperatures to July/August levels. Relief comes late Monday when a cold front passes through the area providing pleasant and cooler weather for the rest of the work week after a possible round of thundershowers.

TODAY (SUNDAY)

Heat makes a comeback. 94-96. The heat of summer returns today, with authority. Mostly sunny skies will allow afternoon highs to reach the mid 90s with high humidity to boot. It could be a bit uncomfortable for those of you with outdoor activities planned so bring along the water. Winds will be out of the southwest at 5-10 mph, increasing to around 15 mph during the afternoon.

Overnight we won't get much relief as lows will only drop into the low-to-mid 70s under mostly clear skies. Fortunately, a breeze from the southwest at around 15 mph will keep the air flowing.

Keep reading for the forecast into the work week. See SkinsCast for the outlook for today's game.

TOMORROW (MONDAY)

Very warm, slight chance of storms. 88-91. The heat will back off a little bit on Monday but by how much depends on our rain chances. A cold front, along with the remnants of Ike, will move on through. Most of the moisture will stay well north of us though. Still, with high humidity and afternoon highs near 90, we'll probably see at least some isolated thunderstorms develop during the afternoon hours. Winds will be shifting from SW to NW along the front at 10-15 mph and may be gusty.

Any rain tapers off Monday night we'll begin to clear out and cool off. We'll cool off into the mid 60s behind the front. Winds will blow out of the north at around 10 mph.

A LOOK AHEAD

On Tuesday, skies will be partly sunny and afternoon highs will be around the 80 degree mark. Confidence: High

Wednesday-Friday sees our pleasant weather continue. We'll enjoy mostly clear skies day and night, along with afternoon highs in the upper 70s. Confidence: Medium-High

By Brian Jackson  | September 14, 2008; 5:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: SkinsCast: September Sweat
Next: Ike's Bad Blow Was Almost Worse

Comments

We received 1.5" of rain last night within an hour or two. It's Pretty amazing that we had only a 30% chance of rain which usually translates to a 70% chance we'll get rained on!

Posted by: David A. in Stafford | September 14, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

The heat index at National is currently 101F. 76 degree dew point with 90 degree temperature.

Posted by: Ian, Capital Weather Gang | September 14, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Mr. David A,

Please note that the 30% chance of rain refers to the percent of aerial coverage for the entire forecast domain.

Here is the National Weather Service's definition.
"Probability of Precipitation
(Abbrev. PoP)- The probability that precipitation will be reported at a certain location during a specified period of time."

Thank you.

Posted by: anonymous | September 15, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2012 The Washington Post Company