The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:00 AM ET, 10/ 9/2008

Forecast: After Today, A Sunny & Warm Display

By Josh Larson

Although October has featured slightly below average temperatures and we'll have to contend with clouds and possible showers today, a sprawling ridge of high pressure will build over the area by Friday. This weather pattern will foster abundant sunshine and temperatures some 5-10 degrees above average through the holiday weekend. That's great news for outdoor plans.

TODAY (THURSDAY)

Mostly cloudy. AM Shower? 70s. Temperatures will start off in the 50s today with overcast skies. A few passing showers are possible through about mid-morning. Thereafter, the day should be dry with mostly cloudy skies slowly giving way to peeks of sunshine by late afternoon. It will be a bit milder, too with highs ranging from 74-78, depending on how much sun we see.

If you're out and about this evening you'll notice clearing skies; temperatures will eventually drop to the mid 50s to near 60 downtown.

Keep reading for the forecast through the beginning of next week as well as the SkinsCast for this Sunday's game against the Rams.

TOMORROW (FRIDAY)

Mostly sunny. Upper 70s. Consider yourself warned: it will be tough to stay inside on Friday. High pressure moving into the area will allow for a great deal of sunshine with high temperatures reaching the upper 70s in most spots. Definitely no need for the umbrella!

Bring a jacket with you if you're out Friday evening or night, as clear skies will allow temperatures to eventually drop to 50-55. Confidence: High

A LOOK AHEAD

If you're the outdoors type you'll bask in the gorgeous mid-October weather on tap this weekend. Expect mostly sunny skies both Saturday and Sunday with light winds and warm afternoon highs ranging from the mid 70s to near 80. Both nights will feature mostly clear skies with lows primarily in the mid-to-upper 50s. Confidence: High

The nice weather continues right into Columbus Day Monday with lots of sunshine once again and quite warm -- for mid October -- temperatures around, or perhaps a couple degrees above 80. Overnight lows should be near 60. Confidence: Medium-High

By Josh Larson  | October 9, 2008; 5:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NBC Subtracts Weather Plus
Next: Monarch Weather

Comments

My colleague Josh has a knack for catchy headlines!

Posted by: Camden, Capital Weather Gang | October 9, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

It does look like a nice weekend coming up. It would be nicer if I actually had Monday off! :). Personally though, I am looking forward to temps in the 60s - that's probably my ideal for outdoor stuff :). It looks like we may get some of that in a week or so.

Posted by: Jim in Blacksburg | October 9, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I'm *trying* for the season's first snow in Boulder, CO -- where I live -- this weekend. If you'd like to live vicariously through my attempts to bring it there (models disagree), check out my post here: http://www.coloradowx.com

Posted by: Josh, Capital Weather Gang | October 9, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Can I ask you to get out your long(ish)-range crystal ball? What are the chances of a frost in Washington, DC between now and October 22? I'm going out of town and would prefer to leave my houseplants out if possible.

Thanks!

Posted by: Larry | October 9, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Larry, most indications are that we're likely to see generally above normal temperatures for at least the next week to ten days. I would think that a frost during this time frame would be rather unlikely. The chances of a frost during the last week to ten days of the month do, however, increase. But I'd venture that a frost in downtown DC before you return on October 22 is unlikely; if I had to stick a percentage chance on it I'd say less than 25%. Hope this helps.

Posted by: Josh, Capital Weather Gang | October 9, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse