The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:00 AM ET, 10/ 3/2008

Forecast: Awesome Weather Arrives for Weekend

By Camden Walker

WeatherCamSun and more sun for this weekend. I say let's soak it up! After all, we paid for this weather with our recent, needed rains. We'll have cool mornings with lows in the 40s and 50s, and comfy afternoons with highs in the 70s. Oh, and UV rays are finally of reduced threat -- expected to be in the moderate range.

TODAY (FRIDAY)

Mostly sunny. Low 70s. Winds will be light (5-10 mph) out of the west, and that sunshine will feel oh-so-good. An ample amount of blue skies will allow temperatures to bound just above 70. Delightful!

Tonight, temperatures will bottom out right around 50 downtown, in the 40s in the suburbs. We've finally reached that point of the season where you may get too chilly if you leave those windows open all night. Winds will be light from the north and skies should be partly cloudy.

Confidence: High

Will this amazing weather pattern end anytime soon? Keep reading...

TOMORROW (SATURDAY)

Sunny. Low-to-mid 70s. Another spectacular day. Thank goodness for high pressure moving almost overhead from our dry, cool Canadian neighbors to the north. We will once again have light breezes and sunny skies. Points to the south, like Fredericksburg, could climb near or just above 75.

Partly cloudy overnight with lows in the low-to-mid 50s. It won't get quite as cool because of the light easterly breeze and greater number of clouds hanging around.

Confidence: HIgh

SUNDAY

Mostly sunny. Mid 70s. Three for three. Warmth, blue skies, and barely a complaint to be had. Last one to throw a frisbee is a rotten egg!

A few clouds again overnight. But don't worry, there's virtually no chance of rain. Low temperatures will settle in the 50s.

Confidence: HIgh

A LOOK AHEAD

Monday appears to stay sunny. High temperatures in the 70s ain't bad -- right? Confidence: Medium

Tuesday may trend cooler with highs in the upper 60s, maybe touching 70. High pressure continues in control, keeping us in the sun. Confidence: Medium

By Camden Walker  | October 3, 2008; 5:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: PM Update: Some Early-Season Chill Tonight
Next: Glorious Day for a Glory

Comments

This weather is GREAT!! It's nice to get payback for the four straight days of rain and gloom we had late last week into the weekend. Enjoy this while it lasts!!

Posted by: David A. in Stafford | October 3, 2008 5:06 AM | Report abuse

52 at DCA ... I was only two degrees off with my prediction yesterday.

Posted by: Murre | October 3, 2008 5:54 AM | Report abuse

Sterling (from last night's PM Update): I could have used some snow today too. I have quite a few projects/presentations today, AND I have my SAT tomorrow, so I'm a walking ball of nerves. Oh well. The quicker I get it done the quicker I'll be able to calm down. Then again, snow still would have been nice. :)

At least it's 48° out. I love cool weather like this. I'm debating whether I want to wear a jacket or not. If I do I have to carry it with me all day, because the cubby-hole of a locker we have barely fits 2 books and a binder, let alone a jacket.

I'm loving the fact that we're actually having a fall though. We usually go from summer to winter and back to summer. This year, we're having a gradual slope down to winter.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | October 3, 2008 6:32 AM | Report abuse

What a fabulous fall morning!

Posted by: ~sg | October 3, 2008 8:06 AM | Report abuse

My weather station gave a reading of 45.8 at 6:15 this morning. A sure sign that fall has arrived.

Posted by: mcleaNed | October 3, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Good luck on the SATs, weatherdudeVA. Just take it one question at a time.

This weather is absolutely spectacular. We just got back from a week in Maine and NH. I was disappointed to be literally in the clouds when we arrived at the top of Mt. Washington (couldn't see a thing). Interesting weather stuff there, however. It was 65 at the bottom of the mountain and 40 at the top. Lots of grave markers of climbers who lost their lives in the wild weather which so quickly can overtake the mountain.

Now back home in Arnold, it feels like fall has arrived. Love this cool air.

Posted by: science teacher (Arnold) | October 3, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

at long last, the dorm window has been closed. no a/c here at UMD so we had them open for a long time, but since last night hit 43, it was time to make the change.

Posted by: Kenny G | October 3, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

With the wind having calmed down, I hope you all will consider heading outside for a pleasant, sunny lunch! Have any favorite spots? I like Lafayette Park at the White House.

Posted by: Camden, Capital Weather Gang | October 3, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Just for the heck of it, I calculated the mean error for the airport temperature predictions (from yesterday's PM post) that people posted in the comments section. (I just summed up the difference between each person's prediction and the actual temperature for each airport and then divided by 3). Here are the results:

Tied for 1st = Me, Sterling
Tied for 2nd = JF, Ian, & PJ
Tied for 3rd = Greg, Murre

Almost everyone predicted temperatures that were too low compared to those that were observed.

Posted by: Josh, Capital Weather Gang | October 3, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

any idea of what the weather will be like next weekend...I have an event planned at a playground & I'm little nervous about rain! Thanks!

Posted by: dcnative | October 3, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

dcnative -- Too far out to predict with any sort of confidence. Check back on Monday morning for our first crack at next weekend's forecast.

Posted by: Dan, Capital Weather Gang | October 3, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

From a gardener, any predictions for date of first hard freeze? I'm going out of town, and wonder if I need to haul all the plants in before I go...

Posted by: RobinD | October 3, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

RobinD, all we can say is that the first frost in Washington, DC usually occurs by November 1st. The last two weeks of October, climatologically, are the best bet for the first frost. As to a hard freeze, that likely won't happen (at least in downtown DC) into well into November.

Posted by: Josh, Capital Weather Gang | October 3, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse