The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:00 AM ET, 10/21/2008

Forecast: Crisp Cool Continues

By Matt Rogers

And weekend washout still looms

Yet another cold front is on the way. This one is forecast to be dry, but will still be responsible for stronger breezes and drier humidity during the day. As a result, the National Weather Service has issued a Fire Weather Watch. The cool crisp air will be reinforced tomorrow and Thursday courtesy of Canada. Then we have to confront the unfortunate situation of a wet weekend.

TODAY (TUESDAY)

A bit warmer, breezy, 66-70. Winds gusting from the west before the next Canadian cool air spill should allow temperatures to push a bit higher than seen yesterday. Look for morning clouds breaking away for more afternoon sunshine.

Tonight should see the winds die down and temperatures will start collapsing once again. Lows should range from near freezing in the outer suburbs to lower 40s in the middle of the city.

Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend!

TOMORROW (WEDNESDAY)

Cool air caps temperatures, 56-60. Sunshine will be a dominant story on Wednesday and the winds will likely settle down as stable high pressure moves overhead. Nonetheless, daytime temperatures should continue to run cooler than normal.

On Wednesday night, temperatures should take another steep dive with lows dropping below Tuesday night levels in most areas. Look for near freezing temperatures out in western to northern suburbs to near 40 in the city interior.

A LOOK AHEAD

Thursday is a solid repeat of Wednesday with upper 50s to near 60 and lows Thursday night ranging from the 30s to the lower 40s. With dry cool weather like this, there tends to be a big range of low temperatures from the outer suburbs to downtown due to the urban heat island effect. Confidence: Medium

Friday makes an attempt at some warming with 60s during the day and 40s Friday night. Clouds will be on the increase Friday night as a low pressure starts its advance into the area. Confidence: Medium

The weekend could be wretched with a soggy low pressure area slogging its way northeastward through the area on Saturday, offering the highest chances of precipitation (70%) and then leaving behind a chance of lingering showers on Sunday (40% chance). Highs should be in the 60s with 40s for lows. Perhaps we could see the sun break out again late on Sunday before another round of chilly weather returns next week. Confidence: Medium

By Matt Rogers  | October 21, 2008; 5:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: PM Update: Cool Fall Weather Continues
Next: Mad Meteorologist Predicts Winter Mayhem

Comments

It was 41 when I woke up at 5:30, and it's 39.2 now at 6:05 AM. What's up with that?

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | October 21, 2008 6:05 AM | Report abuse

The temperature will probably continue to decrease until the sun comes up around 7:20.

Does anyone else not like the new Google maps the NWS is using for its point forecasts? I can no longer use my four year old version of Safari to view them, and have to use Firefox instead. Also, the roads are not so visible as they were before, and the county outlines are hard to see or not there. Not very good for me if I want to find out the weather for a place I'm not familiar with.

Posted by: Murre | October 21, 2008 6:51 AM | Report abuse

Murre-- I agree the interface for the Google Maps for the NWS point forecast isn't very user-friendly.

Posted by: Jason, Capital Weather Gang | October 21, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

You just need the latest beta version of java v10 i think.

Posted by: Uncle Dak | October 21, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

@Jason, thanks.

@Uncle Dak, I can view it fine in Firefox. That was my early morning grumbling. My main complaint is that the new map isn't very user-friendly.

Posted by: Murre | October 21, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

@murre, you can zoom in and zoom out using the scroll wheel. You can also pan.

Posted by: Sterling | October 21, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

@Sterling, Yes, I know I can. But the major roadways are harder to see and the county lines are gone. Those are my major complaints.

Posted by: Murre | October 21, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse